SOLVED CTD When track loads to 100%

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Nathan Magrath, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Nathan Magrath

Nathan Magrath Registered

Over the last few months i have done extensive testing with rFactor 2 because i had a ton of issues getting it to run.
    For AMD machines Adrenalin 22.5.1 seems to be the last working graphics driver for some if not all.
    I have tried AMDs latest 22.11.1 today and updated both graphics driver and rFactor 2 build 1131 with todays hotfixes but still the crash occurs.

Crash occurs when loading into the track at 100% then drops to desktop.

Does anyone know if there is a fix in the works or of any workaround apart from leaving at 22.5.1?

Attached Files:

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This is not rF2 specific. The newest drivers, after 22.5.1, have caused some issues with several games. It seems to me that AMD has been releasing drivers at a rate much faster than usual as they try and keep their new features without crashing older programs. With 22.10.2 I was able to get some tracks to load, but they would invariably suffer a graphic lockup within a few minutes of driving. The only fix I am aware of is the one you have already identified.

3. Jaime

Jaime Registered

Hi, it happens to me I just got a radeon 6800 but it happened before with the GTX1080...
    I have the feeling is content managment issue, it happens with specific car or tracks, I can play normally with the caterham on zaanvord for example but I tried Laguna Seca with the mini (both content I have purschased) and CTD after loading but without any notification of the error or something. This game has the best physics and ffb and the worst user experience of all...

4. Nathan Magrath

Nathan Magrath Registered

It is very frustrating! I tried multiple scenarios over the last few months and come to the conclusion it's driver related.
    Fresh install with no mods, stock cars and tracks and it still crashed......
    Install 22.5.1 and no crash.

I thought 397 would be able to implement an update to work with the latest drivers but after hearing it happens on other titles from Dave above I have lost confidence in AMD and ordered a 4090

It's got to the point now where other titles I play now can't run on a May 2022 released driver so have been reverting back and forth when I wanted to jump into rFactor.

5. Jaime

Jaime Registered

I just installed the AMD card yesterday, and I had the same problem with rfactor2 and my old Nvidia card. All games I tested with the radeon just works fine.

It can't be gpu related. My money goes that is something related with the way they manage the content. Is a mess. When I accidently tried to join a server with content I don't own it kiks me out and sometimes I have to close the game (that happened with my Nvidia card too), and now, testing in single player I have CTD with content I own but may be something

6. Ike Tews

Ike Tews Registered

This is 100% that what i experienced! The behavíour 100% track load then CTD or screen freezes after a short while are always in combination with new content when using the newest driver 22.11.1! No matter if its a new track or a new car which is selected - the problem is definitely there! The old driver 22.5.1 cures that, but there is a massive difference in graphics quality with the newer driver which let the game looks way better.
    And that NVidia users have that problem too is an indication for me that there is more behind to cure that. i mean idk how many users use AMD and how many NVidia cards but the current fact is that most AMD users have big problems playing the game and enjoying the new content.

What i miss is a clear statement from the Studio 397 support that they are aware of that problem and trying to find a solution. I don't expect to have a solution out of the box but i would be good they are aware about that. Where can we report such things??? i found an email adress support@studio-397.com and wrote them but seems it is not longer valid, because mail was rejected.
    This is what makes me wondering. A lot of hints from a lot of people here but no statement from the official side.

Soberly viewed we paid a lot of money for all that content and standing in the rain now without umbrella.
    Curious to see progress in the case.

Jaime likes this.
  7. Jaime

Jaime Registered

I tried to mail them too and they have it closed down.

I was going further and ask for my money back of the content I can't play! 92€ in total.

For now I put a negative review on Steam, I think if all the people with problems that are ignored by them make that negative review they will do something.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Jaime unlike others here you aren't getting a workaround by using 22.5.1. You should create and attach a trace file (as I mentioned in your other thread) if you want help working out what's going on, if it's content related.

9. Jaime

Jaime Registered

Again, I had Nvidia until 2 days ago with the same issues!
    Is not AMD related for sure.
    I don't want to spend more time with this, I shouldn't have to be a PC programer to get it to work. If there's something wrong with the game I should have to at least the one click send report type of option as in other games.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm saying you should be seeking help for your content issues, by for example sharing a trace file.

@Jaime to avoid confusion: everyone else here has an issue with recent drivers, 22.5.1 fixes it for them. Yours is different, hence you need to work a bit harder to work out what's going on.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  11. Ike Tews

Ike Tews Registered

i renamed the user folder today and did steam file verification to set up all new from scratch.
    Here are my trace files.
    First scenario: Track Thruxton with BTCC - CTD after loading track 100% (dump file + trace1)
    2nd scenario: Track Bahrain with GTE cars - screen freeze after driving 1/4lap. Game seems to continiue in the background (trace2)

Driver 22.11.1

Would be nice if someone can analyse..

Attached Files:

12. Jaime

Jaime Registered

I have made a log trace file that I can't understand a thing:

Attached Files:

13. Ike Tews

Ike Tews Registered

just to be sure to understand you correct - what do you mean with newer driver? Newer than 22.5.1 or not?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

All looks normal except for 2 things:
    • You have the SharedMemeryMapPlugin installed. Note the misspelling. Did you rename the file? If not I'd check you have the correct/latest version, from this forum.
    • The trace ends with a
      ShaderTraits error. This is exactly as reported by multiple AMD users across several threads, who are able to stop the crashes with the 22.5.1 drivers. The only exception I can see (who still had crashes) was advised to delete shaders and cbash folders (both located in the rf2\Userdata\Log folder). They didn't confirm it worked but they didn't post again...