A request/suggestion for S397.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simulation_Player, Nov 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Hello all,
    I got a simple suggestion/request for S397. Now that all Q packs are done for 2022 this is the best time to bring other DLC content to same level. whether it be new tyres , new sound , new tc abs , new interior lights , new engine brake cooling , tender springs, graphics .....everything. (quite a list , lots of work done this year....im sure im forgetting something)
    I'm sure you guys have list of what car lacks which update or not. I request S397 that this should be done before any new Q packs of 2023 , this will drastically enhance both old and new user experience , so don't have to keep tabs on whats missing on what cars or not it becomes quite confusing.
    This way nothing gets left behind and we start new wave of content with clean slate.

OneMoreOdd, pkelly, memoNo1 and 7 others like this.
  2. Michael Woller

Michael Woller Registered

Absolutely agree

3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I would definitely agree too but you need to think that as a business how does S397 fund this not inconsiderable work.

The RF2 model, unlike iRacing doesn't involve monthly subscription. With that in mind there is no obvious revenue to keep old content up to date. Other than the potential to attract a limited number of new users, then they won't be getting any extra off the old long term RF2 brigade.

Of course they could bring out Rf3 and charge us all again but would we all be happy with that approach?

4. Simulation_Player

similar though came to my mind as well, but honestly i think this is good for business/ financial wise too.
    Because not only upgrading older DLC content will please loyal long time consumer who supported devs early on but this will also stop future problems,
    such as when new players comes into rf2 they have no idea what is upto date and whats not but price for the cars is exactly the same.....yet quality wise they are not same.
    This will be extremely bad for reputation . building and keep new users this way is very difficult.
    also note negative reviews, image is much harder to remove than positive one.
    for example , even with new tyres which fixed slip angle issues but u will still see many user saying rf2 is slide fest.....because rf2 kept old tyres for so long this image is set in many people mind

memoNo1 and Craig Waddell like this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Although i understand this suggestion, i don't agree with this.
    Form my point of view, rF2 is improving a lot the last months.
    This seems to be better than ever.
    I wouldn't change the course of the development at this moment

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Updating takes work and time and they need to keep releasing new content to maintain their team. They've said content will be updated, but they won't stop doing other things to only update existing content. I'd like they'd have a lot more resources to do what their doing and keep everything up to date. Let's hope some day this is possible.

memoNo1, Rui Santos and lagg like this.
  7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

This...

While i agree with OP (also is important to have a benchmark for modders to get their work together), they need to find a balance between both ways...

memoNo1 likes this.
  8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Not sure from what dream world you are coming, but with the amount of DLC there is, this is not something that is a 3 month job. Never mind the fact that that would mean no Q1 pack as there wont be any content... You can't ask for something this unrealistic

9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

A lot of things are being updated, it just takes a lot of time, something that we don't have much of.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Reiza is the model for content library management. Sector 3 is next best. S397 (and ISI before) have not followed suit and I can only hope they do at some point.

11. Simulation_Player

but at the same time you add new features to sim , you are piling additional work on older content.
    now instead of needing to add X amount of features to a car , now you need x+1,+2...so on.
    It is hard balance for sure, i too wouldn't want all resources transferred to my OP, but i wish if dev time of new car is transferred to getting old content upto same standard.

memoNo1 and lagg like this.
  12. Simulation_Player

we have 11* official cars and 9 laser scanned tracks this year alone...im sure many won't be running out of content if Q1 2023 is delayed a bit to get everything sorted. heck many of people still don't have all the Q packs, we are certainly not short of content.
    and if u count high quality mods done this year.....then u should be swimming in content.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

The problem is the continuous development of rF2 (what a good problem)
    The more the game is developed, the more the content is outdated and the more is the diference with the newest content.
    For me, an ideal solution would be to achieve a "perfect state" in the development and stop it, and continue launching content and updating the old one.
    But...
    The people who developes the program is not the same as the content creators, then the development doesn't stop.
    And, is it possible to achieve that "perfect state"?

S397 is trying to get a balance that is good for some and bad for others.

Emery and Simulation_Player like this.
  14. Simulation_Player

you got my point precisely, not to mention newer cars won't be without bugs and glitches, so that will also need to be worked on simultaneously.
    this is exactly why we need strong core for all dlc content. otherwise it will be too much to keep track of for us and dev team on what to do with each car.
    get everything on same level then move forward is cleanest way i can think of.

15. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Might have been delusional... but I bought a lot of content with the 'promise' that it would be updated...

Already stopped buying new stuff since covid... with the plan of not buying anymore until we have at least the Endurance and GT3 pack updated... still waiting...

I guess... to each their own... but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feel this way... and stopped supporting them... after yearsssssssssssss... at some point... now matter how understanding one can be... you just feel burnt and move on.

TrigMan59 likes this.
  16. Simulation_Player

endurance pack is updated not fully. iirc oreca and gte have new tyres, new brake and engine cooling, new sound, new tc and abs physics but they don't have traction lights, tender spring....maybe one or more things i can't remember it is bit of a mess.
    while senna gtr only has new tc abs physics and lights

gt3 haven't been touched yet.

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Content that was good a few years ago hasn't suddenly become bad content. That's something in your head telling you "it should be better so now it's bad". I use pretty old content by ISI and Reiza and it's fine. It's as good as it was. It can be improved but it's not worse and it's still very good.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  18. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Personally I prefer rFactor code to be improved as much as possible.
    If the code isn't right it's no use updating old content.

We have complained in the past that rFactor was not advancing, and now that it is, and you can really notice the improvements that are being introduced, they should not stop improving the simulation.

I fully understand that when we buy content we want it to be bug free. If it has no bugs and is correct with respect to the current version of rFactor I don't think there is much more to say.
    If there are improvements in the code then we will have to update the content, but everything has its order in time.

On the other hand I think that programming and modeling go different ways, I do not know if someone can inform us about it.

I appreciate the effort Studio397 is making with the programming as they have corrected many annoying things.

Deleted member 58016 and pkelly like this.
  19. Simulation_Player

i think the programmer and modelers are separate team but for above request they both are needed.

20. Basically I agree as it is a suggestion or at least a wish, but on the oder hand side - making me enemies - I would say: let them take a break ... if you do things in a hurry you will fail most of the time IMHO.

It would be nice to see the GT3 cars with the new tire model (is it really new or do we respect more parameters and values now) as I love the GTE ones actually.

But as it has been said before: let's see how rF2 improves in general next time and how it did and if bugs will be fixed I will be satisfied. :)