How to turn off sparks?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Petethepawn, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Hi guys
    I am running an old mod (before the new RF2 sparks feature came out) and now I have my tin top sedans sparking like an F1 car. Any idea how I go about switching off/disabling this feature - can understand for an open wheeler but not for a tin top sedan.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

in the options, under the Graphics section, set Special Effects to LOW.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Petethepawn likes this.
  3. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thanks so it’s not mod specific? which seems odd as I have a current version of the mod which doesn’t spark and the old mod sparks, no other setting to look at?

4. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Look for the undertray points in your mod. They are responsible for the sparks i think

Petethepawn likes this.
  5. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thanks, where do I find that in the mod? Physics?

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Most likely the mod was updated when the sparks were released and the mod maker realized his cars were dragging. So I imagine the mod either raised the height of the floor or changed the default setup to ride higher and use stiffer springs.

7. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

No the mod was not updated, I custom modified it years ago and it’s been dormant on a portable hard drive. But it sparks where new mods don’t spark thus it most be some kind of old setting that is defaulted to on where as in new mods something must be turned off In my uneducated opinion. Might need to look at what you suggested and changing the ai to use a defined setup.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  8. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

We need a new line in the HDV. SparksActive=1 or 0

A lot cars have carbon bottomplates.

Bjørn and DJCruicky like this.
  9. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Hi.
    Fred is right: adding a new HDV string for sparkling effect could be useful.
    But, in my opinion, it’s not the real solution, since sparkling is generated when car is bottoming and is too low, but not all modern racing cars, nor the old vintage cars, are so low that they cause sparks.
    Also the actual F1 cars are causing sparks much less than last year.
    Therefore, I think that the new RF2 effect of sparkling may add realism when some race cars, in specific conditions, are causing friction of their bottom with track, but actually it’s also an indicator of many custom mods with cars not properly done in the architecture of suspensions and physics, while before they were not recognized.
    Yes, sometimes You can easily fix exaggerated sparks raising the car, stiffening the suspensions and lifting up undertrays.
    But, beside the fact that all these actions may alter the car physics and the good driving effect, car sparkling is not always caused from undertrays alone. I personally fixed several mods recalculating the car physics with Borda sheet, taking in account the real height of car from ground.
    So, concluding, I think that S397 Staff could add a new HDV string ( or, a game option in menû ) to turn off sparks, but it’s not a “realistic” solution for a car simulator, since it may only continue to mask a car physics problem.

Frederick Alonso and davehenrie like this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Oreca 07 was a prime example of this. Prior to the Sound Engine update and Sparks being enabled, there was no way short of Motec to determine if the car was bottoming.(which it would do at Le Mans) Now you can hear & SEE the car dragging. Getting the car right, fixes almost all over-sparking issues.

Emery likes this.