Shift Protection?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Anybody have any documentation on how to implement this?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know about documentation, but this thread can help the next person. Are you just wanting to stop downshifting to too high an RPM? That's easy enough to do.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

psst.... @Lazza .... Probably to include with his Indy Light cars that used a Sequential box.

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok. So protection from downshifting to too high an RPM?

I'll go out on a limb and say that's the main requirement. It's also something I already know how to do...

Gear protection HDV entries (default):

[GEARPROTECTION] //zone A: between Reverse and Neutral | zone B: between Neutral and 1st | zone C: 1st to forward gear
    clutchCheckThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    vehicleVelocityCheckThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    throttleCheckDownShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    throttleCheckUpShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    currentRPMCheckDownShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    currentRPMCheckUpShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    targetRPMTargetCheckDownShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    targetRPMTargetCheckUpShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, -1)
    targetRPMDownshiftVelocityThresholdMS=0.01

Note that each line has 3 values, corresponding to the 3 'zones' in the comment at the top. So you can have different rules for shifting between N and R, between N and 1st, and between each of the forward gears. (up or down in all cases)

Preventing downshifting too early is best done by setting an upper limit on the RPM you will reach in the changed-to gear (if you're downshifting 4th to 3rd, 3rd is the intended, destination, or target gear). So you might decide you don't want to let people shift down into a gear and end up with more than 8000 RPM; this may prevent downshifts from 2nd gear at 6000 RPM, and downshifts from 6th gear at 7200 RPM (because of differing gear ratio gaps).

The line I've put in bold is therefore the line you want to use. You're setting the allowable 'targetRPM' on a DownShift. If we're setting this protection to act between all the forward gears (1st gear to 6th, or however many there are) we'll want to change the 3rd value. So:

targetRPMTargetCheckDownShiftThreshold=(-1, -1, 8000)

This will stop drivers from downshifting where the RPM, in the new gear, would exceed 8000.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    atomed, Leonardo1962 and Emery like this.
  5. Chris Lesperance

Yup @davehenrie is right. Hoping to get the down shift protection into the Indy Lights car before release. Damn how did you get that info!!! That is some interesting line of code. The "ThrottleCheckDownShiftThreshold" in particular. Make the blip on down shift for the 90s - early 2000s Indy/Champ cars :). There is a lot to look into there.

Gave the mod a first pass at it, and it seems to work! I might have to promote this thread in the other vintage car threads. Having the clutch thresholds for say the 1955 and 1967 sports car mods would be a great addition.

davehenrie likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Be Careful Chris, my dear dear Chaparral is an automatic. I use the clutch pedal for the wing pivot.(just like it was intended.) If they add this shift doo-dad to all the 67 cars...I'll be ruined!!!!

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

These lines are in the skip barber devmode files - I don't recall if there was any real announcement on them. No documentation I'm aware of anyway. (bit like P2P I suppose)

The clutch for old cars I'm not sure about myself, as far as a progression from the driving aspect - I suspect/hope the sequential shifting required in the Caterham (and mini?) might not be purely from the clutch requirement, but even if you 'only' need a clutch (and can shift into any gear) it's a bit of a diagonal move from not having to use any clutch at all, because there's no rev matching and currently no feedback when you don't use the clutch properly (I thought Marcel was a little too dismissive in the Q&A on this topic, because while it's true you can't try to do it all properly without some more control over the shifter [basically setting how easy/possible it is to move the stick at all times] you can still at least get a bit closer with some feedback to alert you to poor execution. Now we have a partial solution that lacks any feedback at all, so it's a strange one).

ebeninca likes this.
  8. Chris Lesperance

Damn, I'll have to call it out that I completely missed that it is in the Skip Barber. There was no announcement that anything got updated with the mod dev files. At least not that i'm aware of. Hopefully I'm not pissing anything else.

I know what you mean on the clutch part. With out a "force feedback shifter" it is hard. But at least needing the clutch adds a little better immersion than just no lift shift and slamming through everything up and down. I did a spell with iRacing about a year ago and having to blip the throttle on a few cars really added to the experience. I really thing that'll help with the 90s era CART and Indycars that are being developed. And then mandating the clutch for the 1985 IndyCar mod. IMO it really helps with the immersion factor.

9. Ayrton de Lima

Ayrton de Lima Registered

There is a point that high-level competition cars use dog box gearboxes, and this makes the clutch not necessary even in manual gearboxes (H) bending the clutch is a bad effect in this case.

10. Ayrton de Lima

Ayrton de Lima Registered

11. Miguel Cardoso

Miguel Cardoso Registered

How can i add "beep" sound of shift protection?

12. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It's part of the new sound system, we're going to go over all of it after the release, then hopefully get all the documentation out soon after.

13. Chris Lesperance

Is the documentation going to go through the shift protection settings and sounds? Working on the 2005-2006 Champ Car Lola. I haven't been able to get throttle blip to work yet. Also the sounds themselves have been really quiet, as I know that was reported previously. I manually changed them but the same result.

The more documentation on the new things the better :)

makan, svictor and Emery like this.
  14. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Since the new documentation is out, has anyone played around with the parameters?

I tried to use "clutchCheckThreshold" but the beaviour of the transmission is far from what i expected. Indeed i need to use the clutch to change gears now but i am forced to cycle through the gears 1>2>3>4>5>6>5<4>3>2>1: Gearshifts from 2>4 or 5>3 aren't possible. Am i missing something or is it just again one of those have baked features by S397?

Also the last three parameters don't have any documentation. Anyone knows what they do?

targetRPMDownshiftVelocityThresholdMS
    targetRPMDownshiftVelocityThreshold
    targetRPMTargetCheckDownShiftThreshol

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's how the caterham forces you to shift (can only go to 1st from any gear; the rest are sequential) so if that parameter was all you changed it suggests a bug. I've seen no dev comments on this unfortunately.

16. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

s397 did a weird implementation of mandatory clutch with no explanation, hope they correct it in the future.

17. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Yep, that's what i did.

I hope they will bring some more improvments to the system than fixing this bug. Otherwise the "new" "transmission modell" is quiet useless. Forcing to use the clutch is a cool feature but revmatching to shift gears without the clutch should also be considern in consequence.

18. bihagun

bihagun Registered

Is there any update for this bug?
    I would like to apply the clutch feature if the bug was fixed

nonamenow likes this.