Released AI Improvements

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

2. Pales

Pales Registered

For those of you that are puzzled, these changes are already in the RC. I was confused as well. I'm guessing this was made as the release candidate notes aren't really an official announcement

3. delapecs

delapecs Registered

I take the thread to congratulate Studio 397 for the great improvement that the AI has experienced. Offline racing is now a joy, it seems like, like Max Verstappen, they have loosened up their driving style a bit and no longer cut you off without warning. Now it's a challenge to get to the top positions, I love it !! Many thanks.

4. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Nice, but where is the Opponent sound slider ?

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Congratulations from me too.

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

You're becoming a little bit annoying at this point spamming every thread with your issues and complaints. This isn't even related to sound.

7. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

It's related to the sound, it's OPPONENT SOUND SLIDER, we have not it, I don't understand why. With the old UI we had it.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Dropping back in after over a year to say "Huzzah!" Good to see some AI improvements (finally!). Although the main one for me is still missing; Slipstreaming & Passing - but hopefully that's on the list for future improvements and hopefully sooner rather than later eh?! ;)
    Then I'll consider a reinstall, in the meantime keep up the good work S397, it's been good to see how the overall Sim has been progressing :)

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Devin commented on this on discord, so it's certainly on the radar but understandably requires a deft approach :)

MarcG and memoNo1 like this.
  10. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

So a few questions and observations. Happy to see the improvements in this build. But...

Q1: one of the main issues with the AI on ovals was that when they pass the start/finish line, the AI either suddenly slowed down or decided to change lanes. Is this fixed? Note, this is also one of the main problems with the MSGS NASCAR Ignition title.

Q2: one of the issues I continue to see is with the AI physics. This is especially when running over curbs. Most cars - most notably the Merc GT3, but also the open wheelers - leap into the air. At that point the AI lose control and often spin. Something needs to happen with the suspension of the AI cars to alleviate this problem, because it ruins AI races.

Q3: the post states that AI now don't make as many mistakes, don't spin or get so far off track now. But I'm seeing the exact opposite. When the AI crash, spin or go off, they now seem unable to maneuver successfully to get back on track, since the application of throttle takes them across the track too fast to execute a slow turn. This in turn blocks the tracks for any other car arriving. Also, don't try to have the AI drive the BTCC cars at Brands Hatch in any sort of rain condition. At 100% strength and 10% aggression (so, quite low) the cars always spin out at the same place (Surtees). There potentially needs to be (a) reconsideration of aggressiveness of 'new' AI in rain conditions and (b) a reassessment of all tracks to cater for the fact that the cars no longer throttle/brake and can't maintain the control they once did, on nearly all tracks. We've still got a few official tracks where the AI performance is crazy. For example, at most tracks with the aforementioned AI I'm right on pace as all tracks, except the Indy Grand Prix road course, where I'm 3 seconds off the pace. Its fine at Spa. Donington, Portland, Silverstone, Sebring etc. in the IndyCar.

So there's quite a long way to go before we get fully working and balanced AI at all tracks.

11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

True mate.

12. evi

evi Registered

I think it might be addressed in HotFix #3 for RC. Particularly with:
    • Fix for problematic behaviour introduced in RC where AI would lose track of target waypoint or get stuck driving the wrong way.

13. Desesseints

Desesseints Registered

I wish that the AILimiter parameter will be fixed. Now even with a AILimiter set at 0 some races are "like a train" with too close gaps between cars.

14. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

The first point will be an AI Line issue with those tracks.
    If there are large differences in AI performance we need that reporting, because we are not getting that information back.
    The other things may still need looking into, they are general quite specific circumstances. The fixes done so far are also on the whole very specific. We are well aware there is a lot still to be looked at.

Bostrom, sg333, Eric Rowland and 5 others like this.
  15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hi Alex
    Don't you have any beta testers who test things like this for you?

16. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks for the updates on the AI, now it's better. However the thing is the throttle/brake behavior was good before S397 took over rF2 so I'm not gonna dance when they fix something that has been working before but they botched it for some reason.
    I'm waiting for this.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Pales and Emery like this.
  17. Nibo

Nibo Registered

There is a problem with lapped cars (maybe not new one, I don't know). When lapped car is approached by lapping car, lapped car behaves erratically, like it tries to move away or let lapping car through, but it frequently just spins or crashes as result of this behavior. Tested with Endurance mod. LMP2 cars started to lap GTE field and various crashes started appearing.
    It would be nice if lapped cars just continue to move on their usual lines and just not block lapping car, doing nothing else.

ApexModding and Bostrom like this.
  18. Pales

Pales Registered

This is something that has been in the game for as long as I can remember. I think you can eliminate it by disabling blue flag behaviour both in the in-game settings and on the track itself. Like you say, they just make silly decisions to allow faster cars through on places where it does not make sense, subsequently causing them to spin and crash. It is very common, unfortunately.

Bostrom and Nibo like this.
  19. Pales

Pales Registered

At this stage, I would just be happy if they could utilize the slipstream and not get stuck behind slower cars on straight roads. Apparently it is in the pipeline. Fingers crossed for next year but you're right, the erratic and throttle bug was introduced on the 20th of April 2018! Quite shocking how long it has taken to fix it but I am pleased they're finally investing some time in rectifying these issues, they've clearly seen the positive reception and how pleased people are.

20. dazzer

dazzer Registered

wow I think it's the right time to go back to simulating like before, great news guys!

Emery and lagg like this.