RTX4090 and rfactor2 VR Performance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

I have a 4090 on the way in the next 2 weeks and I'm planning on upgrade to a i9 13900k + A790 motherboard tomorrow when they release. I'll certainly report back on my performance in regards to rF2+VR.

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Ditto (although I’m the other way around - 13th gen i9 on the way but no sight of a 4090 for love nor money…)

I’m currently on a 4th gen(!) i7! 2080Ti and CV1 - I’m struggling to pick my next headset - Pimax 5k, Index, G2 (possibly)…? I can technically afford a Varjo Aero - but it would have to guarantee to ward off cancer for that price!

avenger82 likes this.
  3. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

my 3080ti tuns at 25% 800mhz (capable of 1800mhz ) in VR
    my cpu is off the chart..

your problem is unlikelty to be solved by a better videocard while RF2 is still choking on CPU.

4. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Registered

I upgraded from an i5 12 to an i9 13th gen and its running beautifully now. But I also went back to steam VR and used the RF2 config widget mentioned elsewhere. Getting 90FPS on VR high settings in the widget its rock solid ( as well it should be with that processor and a 4090!! ). For whatever reason, OpenXR didn't work so well for me with my Pimax 5k super.

One other thing of note, a lot of reviews have been dumping on the i9 13 for how hot it runs. Running on a Noctua air cooler I used for my i12 it did get a bit warm on Cyberpunk ( 86 degrees fairly rapidly ) but on the racing games in VR it barely touched 60. I put in a decent AIO cooler today and it dropped to below 60 running on Cyberpunk 4k with RT Ultra settings. So some of the reviews which are making out that this thing will basically melt your PC and burn your house down may either be incompetent or have an agenda. I've put in decent cooling but nothing custom or excessive.

MileSeven likes this.
  5. vava74

vava74 Registered

You should try OpenXR as that helps greatly.
    Also, it's a matter of settings. VR requires some sacrifices, which, while still looking good, will allow you to race the AI.
    But one of the sacrifices, is to reduce the number of visible AI cars to, for instance, 12.

6. vava74

vava74 Registered

5800X3D + 4090 + G2 using OpenXR here:
    Previously 3090, and I would have very consistent 90fps with some frame drops in stressful situations (namely non-optimised tracks, such as Road Atlanta, Albert Park 2019), reducing to 12 visible AI cars.
    With the 4090, I have basically the same performance (90fps, some stress situation drops) with 20 visible cars and some bumped up eye candy parameters.
    The main issue about upgrading to a 4090 is that, like I did, you will will be tempted to raise the eye candy level and the number of visible AI cars.
    Then you will have to be willing to move goal posts depending from the situation.
    As a quick example: 30 Porsche Cup cars @ Belle Isle, late afternoon, so with some longer shadows, I managed to have 90fps stable with no drops, using the High preset (which is a bit higher than my 4090 VR custom preset).

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  7. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

as "lucky" owner of rtx 4090 + i9 13900K, I will make a new thread to report framerate with triple 1440p/single 4k compared to my old i9 9900k + rtx 3080.

IMG_20221025_211736_copy_1068x2312.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    sg333, Kelju_K, GTClub_wajdi and 2 others like this.
  8. vava74

vava74 Registered

EDIT:
    After optimising my system - Kombo Strike 3 enabled on my MSI Mobo - RAM again bumped up to 3800Mhz, I believe I have an extra bit of performance on the table (TimeSpy Benchmark's CPU test went up +1700 points).
    I need to check if the stress situations still manifest themselves.
    Hopefully I will be able to run 30 Cup cars around Valencia Street with the "high" preset.

9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

10700K @5.2GHz x48
    32GB 4200MHz 16-19-19-40 ram (oc'ed with tuned timings)
    6800xt 2600mhz 365W limit
    Reverb G2
    Slimmed Win10 (80 processes on idle)

Ingame settings:
    20 visible cars
    Track Detail = High
    Player Detail = Full
    Opponent Detail = Low (with high textures)
    Texture Detail = High
    Shadows = Low (with fast blur)
    Enviroment Reflections = Low
    MSAA = x4
    Ansisotropic Filtering = x16
    Post Processing = Low
    Steam VR SS% = 108% (3296x3216) Open VR FSR = 0.93 multip / 0.6 sharpening / 0.57 radius

Latest Amd driver 22.10.2 gave nice boost, so i can have opponent detail medium (high textures) with same performance now. (at least when not recording)
    No need for 4090/13900K :D

I admit the track choice is pretty much best case scenario performance wise, but car choice (GTE's) is the worst case scenario, especially with the ferrari as my car.
    So over all pretty decent performance for 2020 2nd tier build that, granted, is oc'ed to max on every aspect, plus slimmed OS on top of that. But still, very happy with the build, and see no reason to upgrade for a while.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

22.10.2 did not cause crashes while loading? Interesting...

11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

The video was made before 22.10.2 (dont remeber which driver i had when i recorded that)
    But to answer to your question, no. 22.10.2 hasn't caused crash on track loading completion for me (so far at least) and is heck of a lot faster than previous drivers on rf2.

[NAR]Steve likes this.
  12. vava74

vava74 Registered

Bart and someone else mentioned on Discord that you need to switch off all of AMD's optimisation stuff in the settings menu for 22.10.2 to work.

13. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Even tough the title of the thread is: "rtx 4090 and rf2 vr performance" i assume the real question behind is "how this game can be made to run nicely in vr?"
    If you want someones (me) advice, who's mission has always been: kick tier 1 builds ass with tier 2 build.
    (and even if you dont want it, you have no choice cause here it comes :D):

First off, if i had to name 3 main factors that makes my current build perform so well in the game (zero dropped frames with high resolution), here they are:
    #1 Ram - it being dual rank, and fast (i get to that later)
    #2 Pc case and fan and radiator config (i bet this surprised few of you getting on the list)
    #3 increased powerlimit on the GPU

Now lets start looking at the 3 most contributing factors 1 by 1:

#1 Ram. in overclocking communities there is a rule for the order in which you do your oc. 1 ram, 2 cpu, 3 cache/ring, 4 gpu, and a saying that the order if importance for the oc (performance wise) is the same as the order you do them.
    Ram getting the 1st place is another thing that might surprice you, as it did me as well when i learned about it. even tough everything i run into, and see, just keeps confirming that, i still struggle to take it as the absolute truth. cause ram? really? no one puts ram that high place in their mind, right?
    well ram is the slowest part in the equasion so that kinda makes sense, right? And even tough im not going to go into as much detail i'd really liked to about it, OR say that you should learn how to oc and tune ram, im saying dont overlook it when you do your build. Do some research about it.
    Because some ram has terrible timings for the xmp, like sometimes the xmp is actually slower than jdec. So reseach about the xmp timings (not only primary timings, the sub timings aswell) for the ram you are about to get, before bying it.
    And if you are about to get amd cpu for your new build, the ram timings are the most important thing. With intel cpus the ram speed it self is also very important, for rf2 vr especially, but in general as well.

#2 The pc case. Dont cheap out on this one guys. Get a case that has bottom fans (that go below the gpu to feed the gpu cool air)
    Nvidia gpu starts to "throttle" the clocks down at 55'c. yes 55! (some cards the limit is 60'C but it wont make any difference here). So keeping your gpu cool is more important (performance wise) with nvidia gpus, because, cooler it is, faster it is.
    rF2
    being propably the game that scales best to gpu and vram clocks out of any other game (bf series being close), losing just 150MHz on gpu clock due heat, could be the difference of 1 click on gfx setting you like to have high. Keep that in mind.
    Amd gpus wont do that, but with amd, we get to that on the #3 later on.
    My recommendation for the case is the lian li O11 series, or lancool mesh 2 is a good choice as well. as long as it has bottom fans slots.
    Configuring air flow so that the hot air gets removed efficiently is very important with +300W gpus. And dont use aio radiator in exhaust slot, the case temp gets very hot with these +300W gpus, so the radiator cooling is not much of a cooling anymore if you do that.

#3 Then the last one, gpu powerlimit. on rtx 30 it was not possible to increase it, which gave amd cards huge (unfair even) advantage.
    for rf2 especially with reverb G2 like resolutions. The power draw trancient spikes are huge with rf2 Vr with 3000x3000 per eye resolution.
    even tough the constant power draw is not that high, the sudden need for extra watts is there, and even tough it is just for a fraction of a second, if you are powerlimited for that fraction of a second, you gonna see the infamous purple bar in fps vr and have a dropped frame.
    Now i said earlier that AMD gpus wont throttle down when they get hotter (untill dangerously hot), nvidia does and it does it to protect the card.
    Obviously with amd, even tough it doesnt "throttle down" until its is dangerously hot, cooler it is, higher powerlimit you can have, and again, cooler is faster in the end.
    New rtx 40 cards have the slider to increae the powerlimit (at least the 4090's have it).
    So Now both manufacturers have the possibility to increase the powerlimit.
    I have tweaked mine over the standard +15% that is available in the radeon software, with Igors more power tool to a whopping 365W limit.
    That is the main reason my card can do those resolutions being "only" 6800xt.
    This comes with a warning/disclaimer! AND gets us back to the #2, the case and the bottom fans.
    Having 365W limit for the fractions of a second it is needed in rf2 vr, becomes dangerous very quicly if you play something else that is not limited fps (90fps vr limit) or the limit is somethng like 170hz limit of your monitor using gsync/freesync, and ends up pulling that 365W continously. I have the powerlimit set so that with the +15% it is 365W, so lowering it to 330-340W is easy just lowering the slider in radeon software.
    Now having the bottoms fans in your pc case will let you have higher powerlimit even for continous pull. But be aware of the hotspot temps always with increased powerlimits.

This got already longer that i intended, so im going to only very quicly addres the cpu overclock. my cpu the 10700K even at 5.2 GHz is nothing special compared to newer cpus. At best it is on par with stock 11900K. But im still hammering rf2 with high VR resolution.
    So those 3 factors i got more indepth to, are more important than the cpu i have for having such good performance with rf2 vr.
    so maybe having 13600K instead of 13900K and fast ram to go with it, could be a thing to consider when you are planning your build?
    I hope this helps you guys making you next build for this game.
    Im not gonna build this year, or next even i think. but when i do, im gonna do it with tier 2 build again, harassing the tier 1 builds as best as i can.

Cheers!
    Kel

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Leynad, Craig Waddell, atomed and 3 others like this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just an FYI, I tried the newest beta drivers, 22.10.2 and those worked with whatever the default settings were. I had to re-run the graphic config to get the correct screen rez, but then Knockhill and the Radical xx loaded just fine.

Kelju_K likes this.
  15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have a question.
    Do you guys think that it will be enough to upgrade my CPU/motherboards to run my G2/rfactor2 on 90fps?
    I’m thinking to keep my 2080ti and upgrade my 370Z motherboards/I9-9900k to the Z790/I9-13900k?

16. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

depends on the resolution you want with the G2?
    2080ti wont cut it for 100% res. nor does it give you visible opponets much. in discord guys who did the 4090 upgrade got good perf lift, with same cpus they had.
    upgrade gpu insted is my advice.
    At least you get full resolution for the G2.

For reference, my cpu, with the oc it has and with the tuned ram i have, gets 13500-13700 cpu score in timespy.
    My gpu gets 21400-21500 graphics score in time spy (overclocked and power tuned).
    Time spy scores scale really well for rF2 as it is mostly rasterization test, and thats is what rf2 needs. raster speed.
    you saw the video i made. my scores gets you that kinda performance.

run timespy, and see what you get for the cpu score. i know 5800x gets around 12000-13000 cpu score. and it is fast enough for rf2 with 4090.
    if you fall much behind that. you need both, cpu and gpu, unfortunately.

GTClub_wajdi and Emery like this.
  17. marklar

marklar Registered

This is the thing. I can race with AI comfortably on Silverstone and similar size tracks, but Le Mans and Nord are unplayable, even with 10 cars.

Kelju_K likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Le Mans & Nords are huge tracks. Just with medium settings on a pancake you can consume 8 to 12gb of vram.

Emery likes this.
  19. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I've posted earlier in this thread, as mentioned before I've a Ryzen 5800x (8 core, 16 thread) which happily boosts to 4.95ghz, 32GB DDR4 3600 and an RTX3080. I output VR to a Reverb G2 with an aim of achieving a constant 90fps

After some considerable effort to optimise both my PC hardware, OS and RF2 I've managed to get things running at a steady 90fps. That's with my Reverb G2 set at 75% resolution which is even lower than I have in ACC.

Here's the rub. With these settings my GPU is less than 50% utilised whilst the CPU still bottlenecks occasionally at 100% whilst boosting at nearly 5Ghz. The 5800x is also one of the best performing CPUs for single core performance.

I love this game but it's alone in presenting such a challenge and it's alone in utilising the GPU so little. It would be great if the developers could give us some insight as to what if anything can be done to lower CPU burden and place more processing power on the GPU.

The latest S397 content is fantastic but with these fundamental issues the game is heavily flawed and compromised.

It would be fantastic if one of the developers could read and respond to this.

oikworld and GTClub_wajdi like this.
  20. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks, I've been using OpenXR, OpenXR toolkit and also Open Composite for a while and it's definitely an improvement on Steam VR.

I'm undecided on whether NIS/FSR helps improve things with RF2 or just adds to the CPU burden. Same for foveated rendering.