RTX4090 and rfactor2 VR Performance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Oct 16, 2022.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi
    I’m looking to upgrade my 2080ti to the new 4090 because I’m struggling with my G2 Reverb so I’m thinking to make the big jump.
    Anyone here has already made the upgrade and can post his impressions?
    Thanks

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I'm well above average in terms of wages... But how ANYONE can get themselves to spent 2500+ USD on a GPU is beyond me.
    It's more than double the price of a good, complete PC from 15 years ago!

On the topic... Go for it, I don't think you'll find many who has already made the move.

3. Leynad

Leynad Registered

VR-performance depends on the hole system, so CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and the game can be the bottleneck. If your bootleneck is the CPU, you might gain almost nothing. UserBenchmark is a great tool to see where the flaws of the systems are and fun fact: I had big performance issues with VR and the tool showed me, the RAM was way too slow. The reason was I accidentally wasn't running on dual-channel by putting one stick in the wrong slot during the build:confused:

Another must-have is FPS-VR because it shows you if the CPU or GPU is to blame for frame-drops and frametime since both go hand-in-hand. A 4090 is even so much faster than a 3090, you need a new PC with DDR5-RAM to really use the potential. Out of the blue I would suggest to buy a used 3080Ti or 3090 and spend the rest for other upgrades. rF2 probably does not use the potential of modern GPUs, but a faster CPU will always provide a benefit and from my experience, the CPU is the bottleneck in rF2.

4. Corti

Corti Registered

5. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Dan Suzuki's 4090-simracing-benchmarks are out and even worse as expected for rF2 in terms of CPU-bottleneck (2:45):

6. bester

bester Registered

My 4090 is on the way. I have a reverb G2 so i'll Can give my opinion in a few days. 15 years ago would you have buy a phone for 1200 bucks ? Now it's the Price for a top of the line phone.....

McFlex likes this.
  7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Can’t wait bro. Thanks

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

No I wouldn't... I'm on a OnePlus T5, still... It's 6 years old. I guess I'm just getting all lifespan I can... And then I can't agree with the sky-rocketing prices of todays highend GPUs or phones :D 2600 USD should include... a whole PC in my dictionary...
    But I'm uneducated, I don't even know what a G2 reverb is... I only know G2 as an esports team

pkelly, Brian Watson, atomed and 2 others like this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

G2 by Hewlitt Packard is one of a group of lower cost VR sets compared with the Valve & Oculus Rift original headsets. Uses a windows specific interface if my memory serves. It has become 'fairly' popular among the racing crowd. Still I always say, look to the flight sim forums for the best exposure to VR, they are miles ahead of the sim community.

coasting&cruising and Bjørn like this.
  10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

It seems that rfactor2 sucks again even with the 4090:mad: we need the 7090ti to run it a max settings:confused:
    7EAC34CA-40E8-4188-80ED-D17468ABD864.png

avenger82 likes this.
  11. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

It's really frustrating that RF2 performance is so poor with the AI running. I've invested heavily in this game and am about to give up for this very reason. How difficult can it be, AC and AMS2 run like a dream in VR.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  12. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

Putting this into context though, he was running that on triple 4k monitors (~24M pixels). A Reverb G2 or even an Varjo Aero has a max refresh rate of 90hz and only needs to push between ~9M (G2) to ~15M (Varjo) pixels. So hitting 90hz at Max Graphics with a 4090 is honestly great. I can live with those 1% 60fps lows (likely during the start of the race).

13. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Registered

Hmm,I've been struggling to hit 90 with AI drivers. I didn't realise they were such a big hit to fps. Running a 4090 with an i-5 12600k and 32GB ram. Using a Pimax 5K Super. So far VR not great unless I'm just hotlapping, which is a bit disappointing. VR really lacks the sharpness and clarity I get in iRacing. I prefer the feel of the cars in rFactor, but if the VR is poor I'll stick to iRacing/AMS2. It is disappointing though, should be easier than this! I've spent hours tweaking stuff, trying OpenXR etc and still it's not great.

coasting&cruising and avenger82 like this.
  14. Radkappe

Radkappe Registered

I don't think you are at the right combo cpu vs gpu. It's no wonder that you are struggeling with more ai with your i5. Your gpu is meanwhile sleeping when you are hotlapping ...
    my 2 cents;)

15. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Registered

coasting&cruising and sg333 like this.
  16. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I've a Ryzen 5800x which was applauded for single core performance, coupled to an RTX3080 and 32GB of DDR4 and my experience is the same on an HP Reverb G2. Good for hot lapping but useless with AI and multiplayer. All other Sims, even ACC perform better.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

SSD has nothing to do with VR performance. Other than that it’s useful info.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There have been several changes over the years to include more multiple core usage with rF2. Single Core may no longer be the best solution.

19. isamu

isamu Registered

This is disappointing to hear. Do you guys think the new Intel 13K series will be much better? Rumors are one of the 13K variants that's releasing will come with 6.0Ghz stock with a turbo boost capability of up to 6.5Ghz or something like that. Can anyone confirm this?

20. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

The 5800x is an 8 core 16 thread processor, but I chose that particular model as many sim racing games need great single core performance. So I've actually got both bases covered. For some reason RF2 just doesn't seem well optimized when running AI or multiplayer.