screen freezing randomly

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SLK, Sep 20, 2022.

1. SLK

SLK Registered

hi guys, ive got an issue with the game. my screen freezes randomly, sometimes directly after leaving the pits, sometimes at the end of a lap. im using motec and simhub. ive tried to turn off simhub, but it doesnt change anything. the game is running fine in the background. i can even esc and hear how im hovering about some stuff in the menu, which i obviously cant see.
    the freezes are unrelated to the content. it happens with official and modded tracks/cars.
    ive added a few trace logs. the rfmini.dmp is 10 days old, so i havent shared it. i didnt have the issue back then. i have an amd ryzen 5800x with a 6600xt.
    example:
    https://streamable.com/vusr3b

it would be nice, if anyone could help me out.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The video is a bit hard to judge from (did you press Esc right away?), but check your GPU driver version and try an older one. I know there's been some reports of issues with the latest version(s).

Screen freezes tend to be GPU related.

3. SLK

SLK Registered

my driver is from july, so ive been using it for quite a while now. i can try to downgrade somehow, but i dont see how it was working fine for 100+ hours and suddenly it stops. the freezes also happen at roughly the same spots on the tracks.
    additionally i tried to go into fullscreen mode. it worked fine for quite some time (15 laps) and then the screen suddenly turned black. the game was also still running in the background.

4. We have at least two people of our community with the same issue while running "optional" AMD driver - they downgraded to the AMD "recommended" (sorry I have no AMD card and do not know exactly) and the issue disappeared (also they were running rF2 for a couple of hours before without any problem).

A problem I encountered 15 or 20 years ago: white pixels on the screen while the screen freezes - that would be faulty GPU memory.

5. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

6. SLK

SLK Registered

ive tried an old gpu driver and have also reinstalled the game. i did a 20min online race with third party content today, which was fine. later i did boot up barcelona again with the g8r gte, but the freezes kept reappearing. what i noticed is that these freezes do only happen when i drive over curbs. i did 5 slow laps driving on road only and it was fine, no freezes whatsoever. since then i did a couple more laps without any issues. kinda odd, since i couldnt complete a single lap when i opened this thread.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Run with the CPU graph on (Ctrl-C) and see if the purple is maxing out. Separate to that (if you want) run special effects on low (if it's set higher) in case it's sparks related.

8. SLK

SLK Registered

thanks, i will try that tomorrow. my settings are already set to low.
    just a follow-up: i did like 20-30 laps without issues (taking the curbs properly). then i got the freeze when i rewatched my fastest lap in the watch tab. it froze again while i was on a curb. i had replays turned off previously, but i guess it reset after the fresh installation.

9. lucamilan87

lucamilan87 Registered

Same issue for me. I have 6600xt.

If I stay out of the ideal line (2m away from the kerb) i don't have this problem. I specify that this freeze happens to me only and always at this point of the track

10. SLK

SLK Registered

11. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You all seem to be driving the same track, can you send it to me?

12. The videos on streamable show Barcelona, the YouTube video has been recorded on Mugello; both drivers are running the same track map I think.

13. SLK

SLK Registered

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  14. redapg

redapg Registered

15. SLK

SLK Registered

I havent tried that version, but I have the same issue at several tracks - including official ones.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

sounds like a sound issue. Try reducing the number of effects in the sound menu.

17. SLK

SLK Registered

The sound effects are already down to 32 and I cant go lower.

18. SLK

SLK Registered

Were you able by any chance to identify some oddities? I have been able to run several official and third party content just fine in the past weeks.
    However, today I encountered the same type of freeze again. This time it happened on the official Daytona DLC alongside the S397 C8R.
    https://streamable.com/9icrkh
    Something I havent mentioned yet, is that the freezes do also occur in replays (server replays from races) when I am spectating other cars.

19. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

No, I forgot, I'll check it on Monday, I'll write it down so I remember. Can you upload a replay where you get a freeze?

20. SLK

SLK Registered

This is a server replay on Barcelona:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cLaRZkXV5OnVo5BE24x06Sq_r1B_aI_V/view?usp=sharing
    This is Daytona from the video I posted yesterday:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VG9Fq4bcU1v2fvY3rtHKoFqnQVMAkA3V/view?usp=sharing
    It's from single player tho. Also, I cannot open it. Maybe it's broken since I had to use task manager to exit the game.