Game won't launch (Solved, sort of at least)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Gonzo46, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

I've tried everything I can think of but the game refuses to launch. I've reinstalled the game, tried the runtime reinstall fix, tried previous versions of the game (including old UI), removed all workshop content, tried the player json removal fix, unplugged game controllers, checked and tried different gfx settings in steam (launch rFactor 2 gfx config), verified files... nothing. I press play, few seconds later it goes back to "play". Had this problem for months. Any ideas on a fix would be much appreciated. Digging through forums seem to indicate that I am definitely not the only one suffering from this issue.

The log file's last two lines:

2.03s Masfile.cpp 2581: Error opening MAS file coreshaders.mas
    2.37s main.cpp 343: onFatalError 11

My system:
    Windows 10 x64
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz 3.07 GHz
    18,0 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Driver version 516.94

The weird thing is that I have a dual boot system. The game works fine when I use Windows 7 x64 and it's the same computer so the hardware is exactly the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  2. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

SOLVED (sort of)
    The error had something to do with the file path. I suspect it's the length. Had it on a "games" ssd (like to keep all my games in on one drive that is not C:\). The path was N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2" Apparently this (the "N:\", or the folder name length of the original steam install path was too much for the game (which is a joke in and of itself). Moved the installation folder in steam to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2" (also an ssd) and now it works... Pretty annoying...

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Perhaps that had something to do with it. I'm not an expert with Steam, but on my installations of steam, . always before SteamApps is just Steam\

Seems like your annoyance is that whomever put limits on path lengths does not share your precision. I learned lonnnng ago, back in the x86 days, to try not to mess with how a programmer wanted a game installed. They tend to focus only on their experience and not how others will edit pathways to suit their own systems. With so many multiple drive systems available now, it can be very easy to confuse a program which searches only in specific locations for files.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Standard max path length for paths is 256 characters. Must be some sort of folder access issue, dunno what.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

@Gonzo46 That really sounds a bit strange, especially because the Path doesn't seem to be the Problem.
    In the Trace File you, for Example, have the Entries
    1.51s tire_manager 1282: Add tire brand: file=N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\CorvetteC6_PC\1.0\C6_PC.TBC, sig=83b6c5b7609cff99f9d69a376e3ef8a7a84bb51a2f08ea04349357fe2ded4c40
    1.57s tire_manager 1385: done with tires
    so it seems as if the Game can handle it.
    Did you try it with running Steam and/or rFactor 2 as an Administrator?
    Like @Lazza has said already, it could be an Windows User Access Problem.

6. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Tried both...
    Would be nice if someone from the developer team could shine some light on this issue... :(