WIP WWTR Track cut on the outside lane

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Fabian Balle, Aug 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

By looking at when I pass these cars I still can't really tell where the spot is that causes it. But have a look at it yourself (sorry for the bad quality, using my old system so I have to keep the settings down)

2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

It's because you touched the wall. It will be made more leniant and clearer in an update coming soon

3. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Hi Alex, could you give track makers the ability to choose which walls can penalise drivers and which walls don't. I would like to try lessen the chance of a driver wrongly getting a penalty for parts of the track you can not gain an advantage with wall riding. I not necessary taking about oval tracks but any track.
    You make a mistake, touch a wall and your lap is gone.
    20220824143619_1.jpg
    Maybe a new flag can be made in the .tdf file called WallRidingPenalty=True or something.

example...

[FEEDBACK]
    Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.18 Sparks=0 whitesmoke=1 Scraping=1 Wallskids=1 WallRidingPenalty=True Sound=solidwall
    Materials=WallA
    [FEEDBACK]
    Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.18 Sparks=0 whitesmoke=1 Scraping=1 Wallskids=1 WallRidingPenalty=False Sound=solidwall
    Materials=WallB,WallC

Just throwing ideas at you.

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Hotfix has gone out which fixes the false penalization in the first post. Passes will only be penalized now if you have earned a wall riding penalty or left the race track bounds.

The solution proposed above isn't really appropriate imo, firstly it promotes far too much customization which is difficult to maintain. Secondly it puts the emphasis on content being built for cut detection, in terms of material usage which is bad for performance. I'd prefer just fine tune the system to work correctly.

The system has been quite significantly relaxed in the hotfix that went out earlier this week, to the point that you need to drive along a wall for half a second with your foot down, if you lift off the throttle you won't ever be penalized for hitting the wall. This is quite appropriate, as in real life that amount of contact and keeping your foot down for half a second, you're really going to damage your car and probably won't be able to continue. That said we will probably try to improve the system further though in the future based on feedback.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    philrob and Fabian Balle like this.
  5. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Seems like it would be better if the car was damaged if you scrape the wall too much - broken toe link or damaged aero.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Turn the damage up to 100%, I'm thinking SOMETHING will turn blue.