Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Even with caster at maximum i can steer the Caterham around Donington with only two fingertips :(

ebeninca and memoNo1 like this.
  2. benborp

benborp Registered

Yes, considering your experience your perception of 'decent' might be a touch higher than mine. Have you been playing with any of the SimuCUBE filters to get rid of those vibrations? And are they genuine vibrations from the physics of the car (just too extreme) or are they artifacts from the FFB signal?

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I assure you; my 9 yr. old grandson can handle this car with 300% ffb, no problem. ;)

Even though I use a SimuCube2 Pro, I run ffb on the lighter side of the spectrum. No one would accuse me of pretending I'm a macho man by my wheel settings. :D

4. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

A other states, the car has huge potential. But as it is is not enjoyable to drive.
    It a pass for me at the moment, needs additional work.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I could never agree that this car isn't enjoyable to drive. But tastes are different, plus if by chance there is some bug related to certain hardware, then it is understandable. On the other hand I am getting ACC early access vibes, when first ipressions are bad, although the thing is good, just requiring some getting used to because of being something different.

There are certainly lots of improvements to wish for this car, hopefully asap. I also hope that while fixing FFB for people who has trouble, physics won't be changed. In case most of FFB complaints will eventually be identified as people rejecting the blance and neutrality of handling (oversteer and understeer at same time aka neutral steer), then I hope it gets fixed just by alterign setup and leavign a possibility to make it as neutral as it is now, or maybe even more neutral. On the other hand, changing max nominal steering torque and caster values, perhaps also faster steering ratio without changing anything, and voilà - FFB is way stronger. By the way, I didn't really checked if steerign ratio is adjustable in game, flies away to check it...

6. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Probably you can reduce the "violent vibrations" by reducing minimal force parameter or increasing the smooth parameter....

Honestly, definitely there's a problem with the steering, the behavior doesn't make any sense, looking onboards on youtube its very clear that the car is super precise on steering, but this version feels like a boat but 10x worst.

A guy who participate in the rFactor1 mod version of this car tested the rFactor2 version and confirmed to me that a problem in the steering exists, we just need to hope for a quick fix for it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    vava74 likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I've tried to play a bit with my Thrustmasters T300 settings, and I usually run with all settings at some high levels. Just tried to set periodic, spring and damper at zero or low. And Caterham steering feel turned into crap, GTE with these Thrustmasters setting also felt like crap, although bit better. I was messing around with settings mostly checking if I can improve GTE with new tires feel, which I feel a bit too damped/springy when tires speak real fast, damping of FFB really gets in the way, but without it feels sad.

Was rF2 always so sensitive to periodic, spring and damper FFB settings from wheel controller ? I don't remember, but I barely played this past year. Could it be that people run some low damper settings or none at all and thats why feeling is bad ?

This being said Caterham even with high damping doesn't feel very heavy, but I don't expect light car with modest tires to act same as three times heavier car on super wide slicks. And if I didm't hear from you guys, I'd think Caterham steering feel is very good, and certainly precise as well, I drive like in vid above.

Although if it has no pwersteering, it is understable to expect more.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Almost every car in rF2 has downforce, many have massive downforce. Couple that with wide slick tires and you have a lot of resistance to overcome. The Mini? The Cate? Not much downforce at all, and very narrow tires.

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

As far as I know, it uses a periodic effect to control the full FFB. The others effect types weren't used last time I checked the inner workings of the FFB in rFactor 2.

The way rFactor 2 applies FFB means you can just affect the overall force with those wheel settings. There's nothing pre-cooked, the FFB is modulated in real time.

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This is the first car I've hear that has both engine audio and exhaust audio, sounds brilliant. Are there others that do thus?

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yeah, I can hear the intake as well as the exhaust.
    I can't speak to accuracy but, seems pretty convincing and immersive.

Mark Lloyd and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  12. green serpent

green serpent Registered

After cranking the ffb up to 300% and adjusting the caster, I'm actually really liking how this car handles now. Using the H-pattern shifter takes it to the next level and forces you to drive more smoothly. The transmission is great, the fact that you now have to use the clutch makes all the difference. Super immersive for me. You can't skip gears from 4th to 2nd without a rev match, not sure if that's a mistake/bug or if that's how it's actually meant to be.

vava74 likes this.
  13. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

I'm loving the Caterham. It is an absolute blast to drive. I just wish I could see my front wheels. Has Studio-397 given any official word on if this will get fixed?

RaceNut, vava74 and mixer61 like this.
  14. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

For me, with a DD wheel, setting car multiplier it to 150%, smooth 1, weight 1.5 and caster 5-6, and DD wheel to 10-12nm (this combo gives peaks around 8-9nm) its driveable and fun, but the sideeffect are some low peak FFB rumble, which feels as if it has flatspots.

anyway, it 's fun to drive, and force me to drive more carefully.

15. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Granted - but my repeated point is that even with a 26Nm DD wheel, I’m not getting the kind of feedback (detail) and level of forces that I fondly remember from 18 or so years of ownership of one of these cars including multiple track days and some competition. The steering shouldn’t be wrist-breakingly heavy (parking speeds aside) but it should be SCREAMING detail at all speeds. I’ve never driven anything in real life (other than maybe a kart?) that talks to you so much through the steering.

Without caster turned right up (I seem to remember the road spec is around 4.0 degrees and is altered by moving a couple of washers on the top wishbone pivot), there’s often ‘nothing to say’.

RaceNut likes this.
  16. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’m honestly not getting any obvious directional audio from the exhaust - everything sounds as if it’s coming from the engine bay. I’m using a Rift CV1, 256 max sounds and the headphones in-game settings.

Even turning my head towards the exhaust doesn’t give me anything (although the other sounds move spatially as expected)….?

RaceNut likes this.
  17. green serpent

green serpent Registered

It's not ideal but just crank your ffb Multi WAY up and then really boost up your smoothing to filter out some of the really peaky forces.

18. azaris

azaris Registered

I get constant irritating knocking in the FFB on all four cars, especially when riding over crests. Feels like a broken steering arm. Increasing smoothing to extremely high values (20+) or zeroing out minimum force doesn't help. Is there any json file parameter I could try to edit? This is on a G29.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I definitely get exhaust sounds in my right ear just behind me and the engine from what seems to be the front, the audio separation is really working with just stereo headphones. I can hear the throttle body at the front on accelation and the backfires and tone from behind on the right on lift. Really impressive. I actually thought there was an Ai on my right at first when leaving the pits at Gateway.
    Maybe you don't have the binaural audio set properly to your head shape?

vava74 likes this.
  20. vava74

vava74 Registered

Yes. Coutie confirmed that it's being fixed.
    It should be quick.