Released Mini Cooper S Vintage Mk1

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Just like it was whe the mclaren classic f1 cars came out. Shame they never implemented a basic hpattern simulation. With shift protection being a thing now, I do have a little bit more hope for it, but they will definitely be too late with it to use the hype for this car

2. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Mini + Fiat Abarth + Simca Rallye + NSU Prinz = good old company
    YES, totally agree!

3. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

I really hope that more Group 2 historical cars will arrive soon because it's getting very frustrating to never have a complete or more fleshed out series!

FIA Group 2 1967
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DJChrizz, vava74, Emery and 5 others like this.
  4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

reading, you don't read much right? Luckily it's not old... the mini cooper s was presented last week:D:D:D.......evidently irony
    very interesting;)

5. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Well I am really pleased to see this, wonderful car and I do love the classics as well. Cadwell Park and a host of coopers will be fantastic.

Mauro and memoNo1 like this.
  6. bears

bears Registered

Some classic tracks and some playmates would be welcome... not that I am biased but a 60's Bathurst would be perfect for this car :)

upload_2022-8-4_19-53-31.png

Corti, vava74, Emery and 4 others like this.
  7. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I thought it was a joke at first. Very. VERY glad! IRL my car is a MINI F56.

I'm really waiting MINI JCW challenge.:eek::) It's been a long time since I've been this excited about any new content in simracing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Aaah yes one car from dream years, easy to catch myself dreaming that classics could become more frequent official release for rF2. It is probably better to expect that it is one unique occurrence. Still more than happy and surprised that it actually happened.

Yes, I do think about that release occasionally when thinking that S397 does not release anything from past, well I did till now. But honestly the release of those classic Mclarens is a bit different from what has been released later and is being released now. Back then S397 was not as professional as they are now, they have come a long way. Also those cars were free. And technically just M23 was manual, and I am probably least happy about its physics from all three, I would anytime choose March and Brabham over that Mclaren.

Hype is a useless thing, only good for sales. For experience to last beyond hype and to keep playing it is never too late, but it would be better timing to go with release like this.

I also had similar thought when shift protection was introduced, it is somehow linked. I once asked Marcel about plans to improve clutch and manual gear shifting simulation in one of those big community interviews, the answer was kinda strange iiric that they are sort of inclined to wait till there are better controllers, which in my mind is wrong reason not to work on this, who knows when these better controllers will become a reality, perhaps never, and when they will, how many will afford it.

Remco Majoor and BorisK66 like this.
  9. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

I wonder what they mean by that? What better way than a clutch pedal and H-Shifter to simulate an H-Shifter? :) AC, AMS2, LFS, PCars1, R3E, DRx have this, why doesn't the "simulator of all time" still have this implemented "out of the box"?

green serpent likes this.
  10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Because historic racing gearbox don't work the way you think they do. They are not the same as a road car and clutch use is generally optional. You would need a shifter with a special, powered mechanism which could mechanically lock you in a gear, and which could also change the dog engagement threshold in the game physics with a loadcell on the gear lever.

Well that's how to do it properly. Sorry to say but all the other games don't simulate a racing manual gearbox. It just can't work without the proper hardware.

I can see where they're coming from, but it's a shame we still need to use 3rd party programs just to do a basic road car gearbox. Low hanging fruit that bit is.

11. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

In the games I cited, they also implement shifting without depressing the clutch pedal, with the removal of the foot from the accelerator pedal. And half of the games are made on the heir engine gMotor. It is clear that shifter like G27 does not simulate reality very well. Of course, I would like to have a reaction on the shift knob, not just the sound and breakdown of the transmission. But such a device, I think, would cost as much as a good steering wheel :) In my opinion, this is just the excuse of the developers.

12. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Simply lifting the thottle isn't going to work because you would still be able to mechanically shift your gearbox. So you end up missing shifts whereas you wouldn't in real life because it wouldn't physically let you change until the transmission torque is low enough.

It would cost a lot yes, but people are already paying £1000+ for passive shifter mechanisms.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

IMO take that low hanging fruit. It is strange when you launch sim like AC or DR1, and suddenly you find yourself lacking skill to actually properly time your clutch pedal with gear lever. Just add damage to gearbox, clutch, grinding noises, don't actually engage gear in game and there is 70% progression towards realism. We can do without feeling drivetrain grinding gears through gearshift level :D

memoNo1 and doddynco like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wish BTCC would race in Goodwood, then it would be fair to expect this to happen in rF2.

15. JamesB

JamesB Registered

A Nick Swift masterclass, he is REALLY good to watch at Goodwood, I think he retired last year though :( Hope I am wrong.

16. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Oh he retired? Dang, he was always exceptional value to watch

Nick9320 likes this.
  17. JamesB

JamesB Registered

I was at the revival last year and I am sure that they were talking about his potential retirement from racing to concentrate more on business and family but as you say, fantastic to watch and a better skill with a classic Mini I think you would be hard pressed to find. I just had a quick look on the web and did not instantly find any reference to it though so perhaps he has changed his mind, hope so.

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Actually, the classic "mini" is being manufactured in limited numbers, available in Stock / Road / Rally configurations.

Regarding the shifting model, Drivetrain Elasticity remains a missing key component in rF2. Within that physical model, exist various aspects to be accounted for, such as gearbox (gear wobble) / radial flex of drive-shafts & half-shafts, etc. Some level of drivetrain flex exists in virtually every type of car. Without such physical modeling, the powertrain / drivetrain interaction will always be constrained (to unnatural behavior) in any simulation, quite evident in audio as well as motion effects.

BorisK66 and mantasisg like this.
  19. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

Agree. But yet this process can be simulated. In AC, Cobra shifts without depressing the clutch at any RPM, _even_in_red_zone, but in AMS 2 it happens only at a certain RPM. And since the developers have taken on vintage cars, it's not a bad idea to implement it properly.

20. vava74

vava74 Registered

I have a job for you, but I won't pay you. OK? :)

EricW, lagg and juanchioooo like this.