Released July 2022 Release Candidate Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Great, F9 button (ABS) works again!
    The hardcore riders can turn ABS off and find their brake feel.
    The gentleman drivers switch to ABS. It's high and good.
    Fine as before in build 1128/1126.
    Briefly tested with Oreca and Infinity in Monza.
    Works again.
    Thanks!

2. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

any q3 content teasing ?
    I hope we will have 3 more tracks at least.

3. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Q3 is a small drop, Paul Jeffrey told us.

So I'm hoping for at least 2 cars (I guess BTCC) and 1 track (I guess BTCC championship).

I would have hoped for more, but that normally won't be the case.

4. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

rofl, it was my thought, the Q2 was the best drop...they can't keep the same quantity for Q3 or Q4....sad

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

For Q4 i believe, close to christmas ;)

6. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

Game. Nurburgring combined, 20 AI Mclaren M23, Dry Sunny. Graphics: Circuit/Player/Opponints details=medium; AA/textures=maximum; Effects (those where sparks)=medium; Rain drops/Road reflection=off; Environment reflections=low; Visible vehicles=12.
    Driver. AMD graphic driver set on "e-sport" with minor adjustment (bitmaps=application settings) to further increase performance. No FSR/NIS.
    PC. Ryzen 5600X @4.85GHz, 16 GB RAM @3733, AMD 6900XT @2580, Pimax 8K X. Paralel projections and hidden area mask = on in both: player.json and PiTool. If parallel projections used only in player.json but not in Pitool, then sparks work incorrectly.
    Issue. Before the update yesterday I had very few short drops from 90 to 87 (rarely to 86) flips in the Nurb and the very beginning of Nord. Now I have often long-nature drops down to 77 flips per second.
    Additional info. HW monitor shows 100% GPU load, but neither of CPU cores achieve 90%. CPU multiThreading is off in BIOS as this gives 2-5 extra FPS in sims.

Paul Jeffrey likes this.
  7. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Have you verified that back to back (opt out vs rc)?
    Can you test with effects on low too?

We didn't make many changes to this RC and if anything they should be optimizations (and they showed performance gains internally)

8. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

Actually I compared initial latest RC with updated one yesterday. But I'll test with the main release (opt out of beta) later tonight and share the result.
    In addition I'll compare performance with the default player.json (except for parallel projections).
    Edit. I dont understand why, but today the game works like before, i.e. as good as expected. I just started testing with all the setting unchanged from yesterday. Unless the game need some time to update / caching I could only suspect the problem was because of some Windows scheduled service.
    Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  9. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Do you believe in Santa Claus at your age? ;)

ebeninca likes this.
  10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Shouldn't it be the opposite?

e.g. Leguna Seca was recently updated to have a pit lane speed limit of 45 mph, which makes sense since that's the speed limit for IndyCar. But the pit lane speed limit for IMSA is 60 kmph. So if you want to set up a simulated IMSA race and create an rfm file with a pit lane speed limit of 60 kmph ,it'll just get overridden by the gdb file associated with the track.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Why not an option from the UI menus? A slider with adjustable PLSL (I just made that up). There would have to be some sort of online protection to prevent remote users upping the PLSL to insane speeds and thus gaining an advantage. But otherwise, ESPECIALLY for offline users, adjustable PLSL would be rather neat.(just like having the max amount of cars listed for each track PRIOR to loading)

12. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Not saying which way is right but they've been that way for 15 years. It's not so difficult to make a new layout from existing files

13. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

That's true but not as easy as creating an rfm file (based on what I've read not on personal experience).

I guess it's not one of those 2 minute changes? ;)

14. Pedro Crulas Gomes

Pedro Crulas Gomes Registered

Shift Protection will be better developed in GTE cars ???

I drove irl gt3 car, the huracan, and Brazilian Stock Cars, both has shift protection but it doesn’t remove the maximum engine braking capabilities of the car !

It only removes the engine exploding possibilities, not the engine braking friction !

So the way it is made now is not as in real life , will it be corrected to we have a better simulation ?

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I just revisted Shift Protection in ACC, which they have had all along. I didn't get any real engine braking sensation from that title either. Is there any sim you have driven that feels closer to your real world experience?

16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

And again I ask you, what do you think shift protection works exactly? It limits how high you can go into the RPM when downshifting, just like IRL AFAIK. If it shouldn't affect engine braking, then it might not be the shift protection that is doing that, but something else in the engine physics.

Badboy likes this.
  17. EricW

EricW Registered

When you don't engage a lower gear, or are limited to do so, it's also normal that you don't have added resistance in the drivetrain apart from the resistance/friction you have at that specific deceleration rate.
    Afaik there are no flaws in that regard, at least I can't spot them.
    Unless you engage the clutch, which also reacts as it should.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Engine braking has always been very interesting subject subject to me, and I have never seen, heard or read properly detailed documentation, explanation about how it works. I don't speak about certain cars there, but IC engines in general. Defintely cuting couple hundred revs per minute from top, will make slight difference. But if you feel big difference it might be more likely related to engine braking curve itself. And how this force comes to be, yeah perhaps little bit of friction, but mostly it is from some vacuum slowing down cylinder heads. Also bigger engines that has heavier components moving with more inertia will resist the partial vacuum more. This "partial vacuum" is also something I never sen good info about, as much as I understand (which isn't much about engines), engineers can provide different amount of vacuum by simply adding differently sized holes for air to come in when off-throttle.

Since a long time ago I have a feeling that plenty of sim cars run on the lower side of engine braking. It takes away little bit of braking, but also makes cars easier to drive. I for sure know that most simracers dislike hard engine braking, since it adds up to cars twitchyness up to a point that it causes some spins. I suppose the more modern race cars is - the stronger brakes are - the less relevant engine braking is to slow the car.

19. EricW

EricW Registered

Simple accurate explanation:
    When the accelerator pedal gets released, the air intake valve is closed and a vacuum is created, which prevents air flow from getting to the cylinders. There’s a decrease in energy that starts to create a braking force, which helps slow down a vehicle by lowering the engine speed, or RPMs.

Resistance in the engine is transferred through the drivetrain to the wheels. Some of the braking force produced is from friction in the drive train, but most of it is caused by the vacuum that was created from the lack of air.
    The result is a process that helps slow down a vehicle without the use of a footbrake.

Shifting to lower gears without protection will most likely cause a amount of vacuum that destroyes gearbox or moving engine components.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Rui Santos likes this.
  20. Comante

Comante Registered

Well, yes the engine work like a compressor while engine braking, but the engine is still running, just at settings of minimum RPM, so there is still fuel flowing and air flowing and sparks. Is just that the fuel and the air could make the enging turn at 800 900 rpm, while, actually, the engine is revolving at much higher revolutions. Controlling the fuel flow in this phase is what control engine braking map, because even if burning out of the optimal air-fuel ratio, the increase of volume of the gas circulating in the engine can mitigate the braking effect. This partially burned fuel is what explode in the exhausts making the characteristic pops.

EricW likes this.