extended repairs

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by davehenrie, Jul 27, 2022.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'd like to see the repairs that were in GTR2 & rF1 brought to rF2. Further, at tracks like Le Mans, I'd like to have the car up on trolleys and wheeled into the garage. Finally when the car is in the garage and being worked on, the driver should be able to exit the car and wander around. Hopefully not getting lost or locked in a porta-potty once the repairs have been completed.

2. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

I mentioned this to Marcel in Discord some time ago, suggesting lengthy repairs take place in the garage rather than the pit stall, as it's really annoying having to wait for someone to get repairs done, which can take minutes. I have to admit I didn't think of being able to mooch around while my car's being repaired, and of course, Marcel no longer works for S397.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Being able to get out of car seems a bit irrelevant to me, this is a simulation, if your car will take too long to repair, just get off rig and go drink water, feed the dog or take a pee... there's life outside the rig! :D

juanchioooo likes this.
  4. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

Perhaps Dave could get back to us about whether the 'getting out of the car' bit was serious or not - I assumed not

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Certainly the 'least' serious, but 24hr races are full of cars being repaired and sometimes the driver stays in the car, while other times he exits the vehicle. We could walk our little lego-man driver around the pits while the repairs took place. I would look at that feature as a way to show-off the artwork of the track builders. We could see vintage 24hr posters, famous brands etc. The kind of stuff that goes up first when a team takes over a garage space.
    I wonder if Verstappen's team would have remained in the race after his accident in the last Virtual 24 if the possibility of reparing the damage was an option.
    Trust me, I would NOT be disappointed if I did not get to walk my driver around....as long as I DID get extended repairs for the car.

atomed likes this.
  6. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

Do you mean by 'extended repairs' a tow truck to get a stranded car back to the pits, and then having it repaired in the garage? Wasn't Verstappen's car immobile after his mishap, so the only way of repairing it would be via a virtual tow truck? If so, is that even allowed at Le Mans? I thought no outside assistance was allowed, so if you can't make it back under your own power, you're out.

7. atomed

atomed Member

Going for a walk through the track is an absurd and fantastic idea.

davehenrie likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was on a ROLL! Don't bog me down with DETAILS!!!! ;)

9. Gio Nuvoli

Gio Nuvoli Registered

Amazing idea, RF2 have a large room to improve here!
    Anyone have suffered a puncture, a tire flat or an explosion apart from engine blow?

10. lagg

lagg Registered

VR is your friend.
    You can exit the car and walk on the track.
    Should the pilots be collidable? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    atomed and davehenrie like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Oh most certainly, but I'll draw the line at allowing .50 cal sniper rifles.

lagg likes this.
  12. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

just go into free look cam ;)
    but car being worked on...idk how that can be done.
    maybe age of empires like, where they hammer on the ground and building slowly builds up.
    Seems bit impossible to do without some proper development time.

imagine if you broke the wing, now you will need to do remove wing animations for all sorts of cars with varying shapes height etc
    now same for fitting new wing.
    bit too useless in rf2 case imo.
    there are better things to invest dev time on imho.

Rui Santos likes this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'd be happy with just an extension of the pit behavior. The Damaged car wobbles back to the pitbox. Car is jacked up and rotated on trolleys into the garage. Timer starts counting down the expected time of the repairs. Once the timer hits zero, the car is trolley'd back out to the pit box and you drive away as soon as your tires hit the ground. These various(but still rather simple repairs) are already in the legacy code with GTR2 & rF1. Adding the trolley effect and timer would be the only really new part. Having a bunch of men running around your car of course would be neat, but we don't even have a functioning pitcrew so I'm not expecting miracles. Just a timer...and a rotation...and....

Simulation_Player likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie I'm fairly sure such a feature wasn't in rF1, though might have been prepared in the code and fixed/enabled for gtr2.

A long held wishlist item though, even just to create some jeopardy in qual sessions.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You are probably right, I remember there was a fairly large patch to rF1 that came out AFTER GTR2 was either available or in progress. The patch contained many items we in the GTR2 community wanted, but could not get since it wasn't part of the deal between Ian & Gjon's companies. I'm most likely compressing the two in my mind.

16. Brent

Brent Registered

I don't know if this belongs here but I'd like to see extended repairs split between pit stops. Basically, if you have 200 seconds of repair you can sit in pit road for 100s, hit the spacebar go back out on track pit again and stop for another 100s of repair to finish it out. Currently if you hit the spacebar and stop repairs and pit again, the repair clock starts all over again at 200s no matter how much you waited during the first stop. IIRC this worked like this in RF.

Hazi, davehenrie and Bill Worrel like this.