SOLVED What is the problem between the RTX 3080 ti / i7 9700K combo and rFactor2?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Paulo Viegas, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Paulo Viegas

Paulo Viegas Registered

Hi guys,

This is my current PC:
    MB: Asus PRIME Z390-A
    CPU: i7 9700K
    RAM: 4 x 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 PC 3200 CL16
    GPU: Gigabyte Vision RTX 3080 ti 12Gb

The GPU is connected to the following monitors:
    Via DP - 3 x LG 27GN750-B IPS 27" FHD (1080p) 240Hz G-SYNC Compatible in NVidia Surround
    Via HDMI - 1 x ASUS VP 248 (1080p) 60Hz

Before the RTX 3080 ti 12Gb I had a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 8Gb.

I've been using this setup to play rFactor2 since I built the PC and despite having to lower some video settings, I never had problems with the RTX 2080 Super, even on tracks with a big FPS drop like Le Mans or Daytona at night.

Since I installed the 3080ti (and updated the drivers), I started to feel a lot of micro stutters, despite the FPS being high. These micro stutters are also reflected on the FFB of my DD SimCube 2 Pro, which makes the whole gaming experience very unpleasant, so it's not playable.

I've tested it with a lot of other games (including AAA shooters) and I didn't had any problems.
    Quite the opposite: even with all the video settings on Ultra I have a very smooth gameplay with FPS above 100, with the following games:

Race Room, ACC, Wreckfest and Dirt 2.0
    Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5

When using Afterburner, I noticed that in all these games, the utilization of the 8 CPU cores is more or less uniform, almost never reaching 100% in any one of the 8 cores.

The same no longer happens in rFactor 2, Kart Kraft and Automobilista 2, where 2 CPU cores are always at 100% and the rest are used in a very randomly way but not as much.

I've already tested the CPU with Intel's own utility and everything is ok with it.
    I also did the same to the GPU and everything is ok too.

Is the RTX 3080 ti so powerful that it creates a bottleneck far too big for 2 cores in a way that the i7 can not handle rFactor2?...

What can I do to “lighten” the load on the 2 cores or distribute the “load” on the others via Windows?

I need help because I can't understand what happened with the new GPU and I really want to play rFactor2 again.

Obviously lowering video settings is out of the question, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the RTX 3080 ti. If the solution is to buy another CPU, so be it… although it doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Your vidcard is faster than mine, but stutters don't seem to be a problem with AMD cards such as mine. My son has an NV and says the stutters are well known to first person shooters and other games he plays. Odd that such powerful cards have an issue such as this.

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  3. Hi

There is a thread around here which deals with micro stutters, NVidia cards and using an pretty old driver to avoid this (around version 441 or so if I remember correctly).

I am using a 3080 and an i7 10400 and it seems pretty much NVidia driver based if I encounter problems. With the last two or three version I realize kind of stuttering when the card is changing the frequency of the screens (lets say if FPS goes down from 144 to 90 ... but not if FPS raises).

Also I think rF2 is only using 3 (or 4) cores / processes while running, but they are pretty high on CPU usage.

edit:
    this is the thread on nvidia forum https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/ (VR related but might help)

this thread (one of the replies) mentions to close afterburner and similar apps https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/mdkl7j/getting_tons_of_stuttering_in_vr_games_on_rtx3080/

edit 2:
    in the nvidia forum thread e.g 461.33 is mentioned to fix the problem

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022
    ThomasJohansen and Paulo Viegas like this.
  4. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

@Paulo Viegas have you tried lowering AI cars to see if that makes a difference?

I dont know if its comparable.
    But I have an old GTX970 and after upgrading my cpu, I have these microstutters too, often when restarting race a few times.
    But here its reversed, where my vidcard is the bottleneck with only 4gb ram.

My point is that it seems important to rF2, to have cpu and gfx card to be on same level.
    (Im gonna try @StoneRacing advise on drivers)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Alessio Feletto and Paulo Viegas like this.
  5. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

@Paulo Viegas Have you tried to switch the HDMI monitor off when playing? On my system (12700K, 3090 FE) i get stutters when my fourth monitor is on when playing RF2. Switching it off solves the problem reproducible

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  6. Paulo Viegas

Paulo Viegas Registered

I'm gonna try that. Thank you @Manfredk2.

7. Paulo Viegas

Paulo Viegas Registered

Hi.
    Having the GPU and CPU ate same level for rF2 seems to be the lesson learned.
    As to the AI, I have the micro stutters playing single player... all by myself on track.
    Thanks.

8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

certainly with a 970 the abnormal thing would be that it had no problems, because it is very fair, with many AI it would suffer:(:confused:

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  9. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

well even if I keep it to 10 visual AI (with 30 AI in total) the microstutter have started after cpu upgrade. But the strange thing is, starting a qaul and race at le mans with 30 AI cars works fine, even for 70 min race. But if I restart the race a few times it starts to stutter. This can also happens on monza etc.

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  10. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I've owned numerous 3080's about 2 months now, and have witnessed some of the weirdest gaming issues that always seem to go back to driver and power problems. I found many frame drops were associated with spikes in power from the card. Some people got them to stop by upgrading power supply, while others still had problems.
    I recently uninstalled RF2 because of these issues, after 7 years. I tried everything from new cards to power supply, and drivers, nothing helped. Funny thing is that I never had these problems with my 1080 ti. So, I know it's something dealing with the 30 series card. Leading me to believe, was this card really made for gaming, or a mining gpu with a gaming bios or driver?
    I will reinstall in the future when some more drivers are ironed out. The most stable being 523.11 for triple screens. Anyone can check Nvidia, pchardware Reddit, and numerous forums for the same issues across many games.

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

when I had the 970 with up to 6 pilots I had problems, obviously each team and/or rfactor conditions are different

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

reinstalling clean rfactor fixes many bugs

Paulo Viegas and Levelup1 like this.
  13. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I'm gonna give that a go. Only thing I haven't tried!

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you do un-install, make sure you exit steam and use Windows to delete folders left behind. The Steam process only removes what came with the original install plus updates from S397. Anything you added or changed is left untouched.

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  15. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

I kinda agree with your statement, my pc is a bit old (see signature), but i can still do endurances with more then 30 cars having the game running smoothly on low/medium settings on 1080p single screen.

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  16. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Paulo Viegas likes this.
  17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i use Riva tuner server statistics server to limit my fps
    no stutters or anything strange

Paulo Viegas and Risto Kappet like this.
  18. Paulo Viegas

Paulo Viegas Registered

Hi everyone,

An update on the situation:

Problem solved!!!

@Risto Kappet
    I was also convinced that with a power house like the 3080 ti I would be having CPU bottleneck.
    But it didn't make sense considering the behavior on other recent games I'd tested.

I did a lot of research and also had the help of a friend who is much more capable than I am at solving hardware or software related problems.

Theese are the steps I've taken:

I uninstalled Razer Cortex (which I no longer used...), but more importantly, I uninstalled GeForce Experience.

Why so important?...
    Because I used GeForce Experience notifications to update my graphics drivers.

Right?...
    No!!!
    Why?...

Because from a certain point in time, GeForce Experience started to recommend DCH type drivers instead of Standard type.

In desperation, I used DDU and uninstalled the DCH drivers and installed the latest version of the Standard drivers and voilá...
    ... all went normal in rFactor2.

I didn't go deeper into the research to be able to explain to you guys the difference that justifies this situation.

The only thing I can tell you is that I have a friend who has a 3080 ti like me, who has the same difficulties and when I asked him what kind of drivers he had installed, it was exactly the DCH ones.

So rFactor2 and GeForce Experience never again!!!

I hope this update of mine can help other friends who like rFactor 2 like me.

Cheers.