BMW M8 GTE with Laguna Seca Weird Practice and Qualy CPU load issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SunBro, Jul 15, 2022.

1. SunBro

SunBro Registered

Hey everyone

I have this weird, incredibly specific issue with running bmw m8 gte at laguna seca. Basically, under these conditions, bmw m8 gte is acting incredibly weird there.

Practice or Qualy mode
    Default skins only
    11 or more ai

(private practice on or off it doesn't matter)

You see, ONLY with this very specific combo, i get this weird issue like the hud shows i'm going at the proper speed, my fps is 110 (which is amazing for rfactor2 standards) but in game, my car moves incredibly sluggish and inputs become very much unresponsive. These doesn't happen at all if there's 10 or less ai. This happens only in practice and qualy scenarios with more than 10 ai. Races with rolling starts or standing starts at laguna seca with 11 or more is as smooth as a dolphin's skin. Why practice only? why more than 10 ai? Why this track only? Why doesn't this happen at le mans or nords where the pit lane is infamously source hungry?

The even weirder thing is, this issue happens only if i get out of the pits as soon as timer begins. That's why i recorded 3 videos.

This is what happens if i don't wait and jump out of pits as soon as i see 1:59:59

(Interior)

(Exterior)

and this is what happens if i wait 60 seconds

and this is what happens if i wait 120 seconds

As you can see, the longer i wait before jumping out the pits, the more this issue disappears I'm on the very latest public build, verified integrity 4 times. My cpu is i5 10400, with a gtx1060 6 gb and 16gb ram. My cpu usage is 20-30 percent during all this (with gpu being at 99 percent naturally) But in game cpu graph is going crazy at %100 and slowly relaxes until 120 seconds pass which is then fully relaxed (back to %60 percent) So this means this is a cpu issue but how? My cpu doesn't go above %60 when running a 50 car grid at nords during a rainy night.

Oh and needless to say, i've tried countless cars (including btcc and indycar) at laguna seca and this doesn't happen at all. And of course i've tried BMW M8 at le mans, nords 24h layout, brands hatch, daytona, donington park, all the recent heavy hitters. This doesn't happen at all, this is a very specific combo issue. Thank you if you've read so far. Here are a list of everything i've tried so far

- Verifying integrity (i've lost count at this point)
    - Trying rc build and normal build
    - Setting realroad to various settings (including green)
    - Trying every single video and sound setting (from lowest to ultra to various combinations in between and also yes i tried lowering sounds to 32,64, 128,192 etc)
    - Setting an fps cap via nvidia control panel
    - booting the game with no peripherals plugged in and driving with keyboard only
    - booting the game with my G27 connected to the usb 2.0 directly on the motherboard
    - booting the game with my G27 connected to the usb 3.0 directly on the motherboard
    - fully deleting userdata folder and starting fresh

and again, my specs:

Windows 10
    i5 10400
    GTX 1060 6gb
    16 gb ddr4
    Logitech G27

As one last reminder: ONLY BMW M8 GTE AT LAGUNA SECA IS LIKE THIS. LAGUNA WITH OTHER CARS AND BMW M8 WITH OTHER TRACKS ARE BUTTERY SMOOTH

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  2. SunBro

SunBro Registered

Sooo.... just when i was about to stop testing this issue i decided to do one last test.

I say "11 or more ai" above right? Well i did those tests while choosing only bmw m8 as my opponent. So i was basically running a full field consisting of only bmw m8. But if i add 2 or more other cars into the mix, the issue goes away. For example:

a field of 32 cars: bmw only = disastrous performance with %100 cpu usage graph as shown above
    a field of 32 cars: bmw + any other car = improved, ok performance but nowhere near my usual rf2 performance
    a field of 32 cars: bmw + any other car + any other different car, for example bmw m8 + porsche rsr + ferrari 488 = absolutely marvelous performance with a VERY LOW cpu usage graph

In order to make sure this isn't a case of "a 32 car field consisting of one model is poopoo" i tried all of the recent dlc cars with some past heavy hitters. They were all butter smooth. 32 car field of m4 gt3, 32 car field of c8r, 32 car field of 488, 32 car field of infiniti btc... they were all smooth.

So this is still an issue but at least now we know the culprit is bmw m8 gte.

3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

you already found the problem, this BMW uses more CPU than the other cars, so now we just wait for studio397 to fix it in the near future, maybe sending a message on discord accelerates the process.

4. SunBro

SunBro Registered

Let's just say i don't think they would appreciate me talking about this on discord any further :rolleyes:

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I don't have that car or track to test, but last year we picked a car for our league and had similar problems as above, car dropping out of real time.
    You can see the videos of what was happening in this thread here--> https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/porsche-911-rsr-2-8l.47265/page-4#post-1064435

For that car I found the fix. In the .gen file of the car, the author had set the collision detection to True on the Front Bumper, Rear Bumper and Rear Wing. Changing them to False fixed the issue. Changing them to False the games makes it's own very low Polygon CPU friendly mesh for them items. S397 might have something set to True instead of False, not necessary same items as above.
    Also, not the main problem, but the Author had used the main body of the car as the collision detection mesh instead of a low 50 to 100 polygon one.

Not saying this is problem with the S397 car, only they can look as their cars are normally encrypted.

SunBro likes this.
  6. SunBro

SunBro Registered

Thank you! That's exactly what's happening to me, exact same pattern of stutter, cpu graph etc.

Let's hope devs see this and try to look into those values for the gen file of bmw m8 gte

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@Alex Sawczuk

SunBro likes this.