Nvidia Price Cut. Good Time To Buy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Highlandwalker, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Nvidia has cut the price of their high end graphic cards from the 3070 upwards. So if any body is considering buying a new card, now is probably a good time to buy. The reason for the price drop is an excess of stock of 30 series cards and want to clear stock before the release of the 40 series cards. AMD cards will probably drop in price as well to remain competitive with Nvidia. Probably the reason is the collapse of mining and there selling off all their cards so there is an excess of second hand cards on the market. So if anybody is considering buying second hand be careful.

David O'Reilly and lagg like this.
  2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I saw that video too, thought it was dumb. I don't appreciate being yelled at and pressured into panic buying something for fear of missing out.
    Some food for thought:
    If you've waited this long, do you really need it?
    At release pricing, all involved parties are still turning a profit.

Love Guitars n Cars and Kahel like this.
  3. Highlandwalker

Perhaps people waited because they didn't want to pay the stupid inflated prices of the last year or so. I bought my 3080 a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't going to pay the stupid prices that were being asked. My 1080ti was starting to struggle with sunset and night driving at the highest graphic settings especially with the newer tracks, I hate using low settings.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Yes makes perfect sense. Supply and demand 101, the weakening demand impacts the equilibrium price (even b4 used stock prices are considered).

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am torn. On one hand, I still can use my old PC for 1-3more years if I possibly find reasonable and working RTX 2080 lol. On the other hand, brand new computer with something like 3070 for upcoming 8-10years would be brilliant also. Making renders fast, and having much more luxury with computer games, mainly rF2.

Living further with 1060 card is also an option. Either till the end of the world, or till GPU market gets even more sane and 3070 will actually cost less than it did at launch.

6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

no reason to buy now RTX 30xx when the RTX 40XX are around the corner, be patient, and save for 4090, the best.

7. Highlandwalker

A EVGA FTW3 1080ti is very close in performance to a 3070 but without ray tracing and DLSS, the EVGA card is the fastest 1080ti card, a 2080 is only about 10-15% faster than a 1080ti. I went for a 3080 because I wanted to run at max settings at 4k on a 32" monitor. There is always an overlap in performance with Nvidia cards between the different ranges, so it can become difficult choose a card. What card do you run at moment.

mantasisg likes this.
  8. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Exactly never buy a GPU at MSRP... so close to the release date of the new generation...

Either you can find a good deal on the 'use market' or wait till the market adjust...

Anyone telling you otherwise... probably because it's either a salesman... or doesn't know better.

PS: comment like 'you should be careful because it's a mining card'... are plain and simple misinformation... most miner undervolt their card and keep it as cool as possible...
    You have about the same probability of failure as a gaming card, that is very often choking in heavy amont of dust... those relaying this message are... yeah, you guessed right... 'Salesman'...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Alessio Feletto likes this.
  9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Just because a new GPU exists doesnt make the 'old' one perform any worse. Also prices are only coming down in USA, China and certain other locations. In Europe a 3080 is still over 1000€

10. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I have bought day one my rtx 3080 900€ 2 years ago (and I have sold my 2080ti 700€), so do like me, buy at day one, and you won't cry about the price, this year, I will buy day one the rtx 4090, cause I need more power for my triple 1440p, and the speculate specs look very interesting, I hope I will sell my 3080 700€ or 650€ ;).
    Dont buty the rtx 30xx, the rtx 40xx are incoming in 2 months....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  11. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Appearently Nvidia are sitting on a massive amount of 40 series cards that arent going anywhere now with the current "Crypto winter".
    My guess is they want to get rid of the 30 series cards before people start realising those 40 series cards are going to drop in price soon after release.

mantasisg likes this.
  12. sg333

sg333 Registered

Rumour is the 40xx series is majorly power hungry, and with everywhere having energy prices through the roof its something that going to play a big part in my decision

13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I care only about power of the GPU, as I use 1300W PSU... my triple 1440p needs 4090 or better.
    And more power means more wattage like always, not an issue

14. Binny

Binny Guest

I have a 1080 was thinking of up grading to a 3060 as it has 12 gig video ram, is this a good choice ? i run i7 8700k 32 gig 1080.
    how much video ram do i need using VR?

15. Highlandwalker

I don't think you would see much increase in performance changing to a 3060 because Nvidia cards sort of overlap in performance from one generation to the next. To see a significant increase in performance I think you would need to go to 3080, if you can stretch that far. There is a 3080 version with 12gig. I run the same CPU and memory as you with a 3080-10gig with no problem with only 20-25% CPU usage at the highest settings at 4k. I don't use VR so am unable to comment in that respect.

Binny and sg333 like this.
  16. Binny

Binny Guest

Tyvm!

17. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I am running a UW1440p as my Simrig, with an AMD 6700Xt and its been good but I am lurking at the 2nd hand market over here in Japan.

a 6800XT AIB variant could be bought on auction for the equivalent of $500 max $550 so its tempting:D considering the price drop and the amount of offering compared to earlier this year:rolleyes:

Binny likes this.
  18. shiet

shiet Registered

Binny likes this.
  19. Binny

Binny Guest