Telemetry/ Data Analysis

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Stephen Lanni, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Stephen Lanni

Stephen Lanni Registered

I’d like to compare lap times, sector times, brake and throttle inputs, etc. to a benchmark (in an effort to try and improve lap times).

Is there a tool that will allow me to do that?

virtual racing school does it but I believe for only iracing.

Wondering if there is a similar tool that exists for rf2.

Thanks

2. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Damplugin + motec: but you depends of another driver to share his telemetry file with you.

rf2 replay office: you can use it to extract laps from different replays files and overlap in the same replay file. Problem is, your replay for other cars isn't good enough to view the inputs correctly, you will need to get the server replay or other guy share his replay with you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  3. You could also use Second Monitor / Telemetry viewer.

4. Stephen Lanni

Stephen Lanni Registered

Thanks guys.

Does Second Monitor have base/target lap times and data that I can compare against?

5. Sorry for coming back late ...

I am using it for momentary watching and checking values - but AFAIK it saves every round your are driving (except outlap and inlap) and you are able to compare it.

At least it is worth a try because it offers more or less the same as Motec (some things are missing, but not that much) and it is using shared memory plugin out of the box as SimHub and similar apps do.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hey, what's so bad about not using it? :p (actually for several reasons I can't use the shared memory map, but I'm just joking so no biggie - though I think the performance impact of several plugins running directly is overestimated by users because of the existence of SMM, but I digress...)

Unfortunately most of these solutions are aimed at logging your own telemetry, and while you can get data/replays from generous users it's nothing like a built-in feature to compare yourself to other drivers. I'm not familiar enough with some of the larger scale data gathering platforms (like Fidgrove) to know if they do, or will, offer something like that.

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I didn't know the existence of fidgrove until now, cleary they are trying to copy vrs, and I can see the paid system comming ahead...

rFactor2 could just have a centralized server to share motec files, but they need to license motec, it is just me being too optimistic here, it will never happen.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There was talk of Motec licensing some years ago but it never eventuated, and I got the impression an internal solution (telemetry, and in this context perhaps shared telemetry in some manner) was in planning instead. It would probably be neater that way anyway, and Motec isn't ideally suited to game telemetry either.

ebeninca likes this.
  9. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

Hi there,

I'm the founder of Fidgrove, and I take this opportunity to share a bit more of what we're doing. We are building a platform to help sim racers and esports teams improve their performance through data, in the most seamless way possible.

To that end, we've created and deployed the basis solution for our next developments:
    • Fidgrove DataLogger: a low computation desktop app gathering the data (incl. aux inputs like ABS, TC, p2p, etc)
    • Computation Engine: a data stack tech enabling real-time calculations from data streams
    • Eng. Station: a front-end solution, accessible through a browser, where you can check the logged data, stats, analysis tools

Here are a few examples of features that are available now, that you might find useful:
    • Leverage on rich metadata for quick and easy data searches (e.g., "what was the setup I used in a specific event last year?", "how quick was I with this car-track combo in the rain?", "what sessions did I do with this car?", etc)
    • Analyze dozens of auto-generated run charts and correlation charts to understand long run trends and performance (incl. lap time frequency, aux inputs vs lap time, temps evolution and correlations, frontier plot for electric cars, etc), comparing different stints and sessions
    • Track setups automatically (no need to save them), linking them with respective historical performance (download them anytime)
    • Track personal best laps in an innovative interface (1 lap vs 10 laps pace, dry vs wet), with filters for cars/track versions
    • Check multiple computed indicators for any recorded lap (e.g., regarding time performance, traction, op. window variables)
    • Create and/or join public (or private) communities if you want to compete with others for best lap performances or have reference lap times (1 vs 10 laps pace, dry vs wet)
    To manage your expectations given the first thread post, we do not currently have a way for users to analyze the telemetry within a lap (only computed data per lap). We do have, in our roadmap, a plan to bring an innovative feature regarding this.

We're making our own path in terms of development. We are proud of the innovations we brought and will continue to bring, and I believe that should be clear if you use our platform. I can also share that planned future features will also make this more clear. For further clarification, all current features will remain free.

Not sure if you've seen this forum thread that I created on Fidgrove. I'll continue to share updates we make on that thread :)

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try my best to address them ;)

10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

And with Motec being acquired by Bosch now, who knows where that is heading.

ebeninca likes this.