Image freezes but audio and ffb still work

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Paun Robert, May 30, 2022.

1. GP_NUTS

GP_NUTS Registered

I use afterburner riva live telemetry in game to see what my pc is doing load and temps without having to switch. For keeping a eye on things.

Oh no memories about pentium 166.
    Hahaha norton commander, the big floppy
    Or the 1.44 mb diskettes installing windows 3.1 on many of those 1.44mb disks hell yeah great times.

The giant bigfoot harddrive :D:D

My first new pc if i remembered correctly it was a gateway 2000 with those cow painted boxes.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  2. So I do, too :)

Afterburner with Riva is a pretty handy tool.

I am used to sit in front of this beasts since 1981, 82 or 83 ... do not remember exactly. I remember the release of IBM PC jr. (1983?) and then I was used to use my fathers computers (Commodore PC10-II with - hell - 640kB RAM) and I got my own one in 1985 (CPC464).

I remember the tapes and 5 1/4" floppies (how expensive the floppy disks were) also the introduction of the 1.44 ones (SD and DD) and ... then I tried to become as famous as Gary Moore was at that times but I had no success so I came back to computers at the end of 386 era and then build my first one with a 486DX @133 or so (and 800 or 850 HDD I got from my father and 4 MB of RAM ... hell I was the champ at that times ...).

I remember Windows 3.1 and 3.11 and also OS/2 Warp 4 and many more (I started with DOS 2.0 ...).

Man, I am old ;-)

3. GP_NUTS

GP_NUTS Registered

Sounds like a harddrive bound to fail.

Check your harddrive life with a program that allows you to watch life remaining.

Like this one https://www.hdsentinel.com/
    It have a easy to read ui unlike some others. It all so tells you your hard drive temps,, how much % condition your hd is in. expected days of use left etc.

If its 25% or less you will get some reading/writing errors that can cause during gaming some miss read data
    I had it last winter with a ssd from samsung.

When i read quickly that your error have some faulty package related issues my gut feeling is because you run rf2 of a second drive one of your drives is in a state of decay propably your c drive.
    A hd or ssd or m2 ssd have a maximum action window to operate with in after those things are meet drives are on there way to be a useless piece of junk.

Its not only to explain with out going in to too much details a example : if your c drive is a ssd and it have lets keep the numbers easy 1 million actions in his life time (factory expectation) it means not only writing and starting up a drive it also means reading.

In a pc a C drive (windows drive) is allways active is it not reading then its writing. When you play a game thats on a other drive data are tranfered between your second drive to you first (C drive)
    Your temp folders or a part of your hd is used / reserved for file swapping also been used for as temp ram to support your fysical ram and even your gpu in some cases/actions. When you have windows backup system enabled (i believe its default on)

Cheap aliexpress or bangood wish etc
    May work and preform well but there life cycles is maybe a bit shorter then a A-brand expensive one but not all a-brand stuff have also a long life you can look up your hd maximum read/write cycles.

no matter if its a spinning disk, a usb stick/flash drive a ssd or a m2 ssd all have there limits on actions a storage device can do.

In my early days those 1.44 mb disk with metalish clip that are sliding up and down and having a round blackish pudding unstable thingy inside did have a very short life time. Oh the big fun days of installing windows from a-drive floppy disks and on disk 42 of the 44 a reading error after somethings real 2 or 3 hours install time

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  4. GP_NUTS

GP_NUTS Registered

I am from 1984 when i was 6 my parents get that gateway 2000 piece of junk.
    2mb or less vidcard if i remebered correctly i am dutch when i was six i have learned my self english to learn to operate a pc. With a english-dutch dictonary like what DIR could mean it turns out to be short cut for directory also could mean folder and a folder is a location so dir would probably mean a place where something is located and you can tell where the pc to look at.

English in the netherlands in my younger years we only get around the age of 10-12 years old at school

I was at that age keen on learn how that mysterious machine worked. I had even days on days of sneaking in the middle of the night out of bed trying to find out how to what to type in Ms-dos/norton commander to get in my case games running

But now days even computing is become lazy with windows/osx every thing is clickable with pictures/icons

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. syntryx

syntryx Registered

Problem solved.

I restored windows to an earlier point and it fixed the problem.

The only thing that had changed was a Corsair iCue update.

6. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

did this really fix your issue?

apparently, other people didn't care enough to post what happened in their cases?

this thread is very strange.

7. Dawid Mroczek

Dawid Mroczek Registered

For me it was faulty CSL Elite wheelbase power connection port. It became very loose at some point prior to the start of getting the freezes.

I ran multiple tests etc I was leaving the game running with 30AI on the track for the whole night(AI driving my car) and the freezes were not occuring at all. It was only when I was driving the car(and the wheelbase was being used) when the freezes and subsequent crashes were occuring.

After localising the source of the problem I started to investigate what might be wrong with my wheelbase, and the only apparent faulty thing was very loose power connector cable.

At that time I consulted very good buddy of mine, who works professionally in a PC shop and deals with diagnostics etc.

I don't exactly remember what he said, but after he did his investigtion on my PC his conclussion was that he is 99% sure the freezes(which are caused by GPU stop working) are caused by faulty wheelbase port. It had something to do with the voltage etc. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff so please excuse me not being very precise here :)

The wheel seemed to be working fine, FFB was normal, but the issue with the power port would make it interfere with other stuff on the PC every hour or two. It was not possible to drive for longer than 1-1,5h without getting a screen freeze and crash(with sound and game running normally in the background).

After taking the wheel to the local electronics repair shop the dude there somehow stabilized the port, made it so the cable was not moving around inside of it at all. Took him few hours, charged me 25GBP IIRC.

Freezes never occured after that, and I could do online 24h race on the day after without any problems.

Alexandre Martini likes this.
  8. Abdel

Abdel Registered

well I have this problem too... It only happens with Rfactor2 that it does this to me...
    I first suspected my hard drive so I bought an extra nvme to put on it but that didn't solve the problem.
    So I resorted to extreme measures and formatted the PC, unfortunately I still have the problem...