Can I reduce FFB on kerb without lowering whole FFB?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by vepaz, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vepaz

vepaz Registered

Hi. I'm using G25. I searched the web and found several discussions about this (violent vibration on kerb - rumble strip) but apparently there's no clear solution when using old Logitec wheel. Anyway all of them are pretty old discussions so I wonder if anything changed since then. Any workaround?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Only the same - increase the FFB smoothing.

Well, there may be other things you can try tweaking if they work, like controller.ini settings that may reduce the harsh feeling by increasing the weight of the wheel, but you can't alter the root cause of the 'problem' which is that kerbs (and tyre flatspots) cause more harsh vibrations than the normal road surface, but aren't identified or treated any differently by the FFB code. The virtual tyre is undergoing more oscillations in force, which translates to the wheel, to the suspension, and to the steering rack, which then becomes harsher FFB. And because the force on the steering shaft at any particular moment is a function of the vehicle's suspension interacting with the environment, the game can't be made to amplify different sources to varying degrees.

The Logitech wheels just aren't constructed in a manner that allows them to take on the full FFB input from rF2 without being quite harsh. But a suitable amount of smoothing can still give you plenty of feel while being a bit more user friendly. You can also try reducing the overall strength if you want to retain more FFB detail (less smoothing) without shaking your desk apart.

3. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

Go into your controller ini and change the following.
    "Rumble strip magnitude":0,
    "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
    "Rumble strip pull factor":1.5,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Bear in mind all those rumble strip entries are for 'canned' rumble strip effects. This is the old rF1 style, where the kerb is graphically quite smooth and fake bumps are added to it.

Many/most rF2 kerbs are physically shaped like real kerbs, and that's what generates the rough FFB. The above parameters won't affect those at all.

5. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

Did for me

6. vepaz

vepaz Registered

Hey, thanks for the explanation and tip.

I settled with FFB smoothing 6 (from 0) and FFB multiply option between 0.3 and 0.6
    depending on car. Oh, and I edited controller file according to Paulfield's post.

The result is good. I think this is the best settings as long as I'm using G25. Force feedback is
    weakened. but still it's better than waking my angry wife up at nights or trying to avoid
    every kerb.

Thanks!

7. Highmynamesryaan

Highmynamesryaan Registered

Hey, just a refresh to this post.. I got a simucube 2 pro and got rFactor2

Any recommended settings?
    How do I get rid of the harsh curbs and FFB spikes without affecting details?

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

you can't have your cake and eat it

9. lagg

lagg Registered

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

lagg likes this.
  11. lagg

lagg Registered

OK, sorry :rolleyes: