Corvette C8.R window painting

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Deleted member 58016, May 23, 2022.

1. Hello

I have searched the web and also the forums and found a lot of information, but I cannot solve my task ...

I am trying to have e.g. a sticker or text, number _on_ the windscreen or the windows (side ones, too) of the Corvette C8.R GTE 2020 of s397.

There is a template for it and I am able to place additional stickers and text on the frame of the windows, but I am not able to have a number or text on the windows - it just does not appear.

I am using GIMP and so I am creating a new layer in the template while adding a text(box) and then I right click, copy from alpha channel and add it on the channels tab to the alpha, filling it with white color.

Also I just copy the text (not right clicking) with one of the selection tools and then go to the channels tab filling it with white color on the alpha layer.

But it does not appear inside the game ...

I have read about different templates, names for all the parts of a car and that there are cars where the windscreen could not be painted ... it seems I am missing a filename for the windscreen itself or it is just not possible to do so on the C8.R

Also I tried filenames windowsin.dds, windowsout.dds, windowsex.dds, window.dds, windows.dds (each one with alt preceeded).

Any help or idea?

Thanks in advance,

Dietmar

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are you packing everything into a mas file? With loose files, you need to do that.

3. Yes, I have done it that way - as said I can see additional painting done on the "frame" of the windows, but I cannot see anything else painted on the "glas" itself.

Even if I am using a dds file with a single layer, lets say just blue, the frames will be blue while viewing in showroom or on track, but the window itself stays transparent.

So I assume there is another file needed which is not mentioned or template is missing.

Also the template contains a "wc" in filename (c8r_gte_2020_wcwindow.psd I think) but if I use altwcwindow.dds anything changes .... :-(

Regards, Dietmar

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

add alpha channel to text or paint glass to make it opaque?

5. Tried it, but it does not work. I have attached a couple of screenshots from GIMP and in game. As you can see the green sticker on the frame of the windscreen is visible, but the one the windscreen itself not.

I have added a layer mask with "white" to the sticker on the glas, but that does not change the effect :-( Also it can be seen as a white dot on the alpha1 layer in the channel tab and also on layer 9 alpha channel in the layers tab.

Could be a mistake I am doing as I am a novice to painting, but I have no idea if it is or not. Also contents of the mas file and my folder of the C8R.

screen01.JPG screen02.JPG screen03.JPG screen04.JPG screen05.jpg

6. Coutie

Can you upload the window file?

7. Sure :)

Attached Files:

8. Coutie

The file you sent didn't have an alpha channel, try this one.

Attached Files:

juanchioooo likes this.
  9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I'm late, I see that Coutie already helped you, remember in the alpha channel the white color becomes opaque and the black color transparent;)

10. Thanks for your help - maybe I am too much of a beginner, but I have taken your altwindow.dds file and ingame it looks quiet the same: no sticker on the windscreen itself except one on the frame. The GIMP xcf files do not seem to be different, do they?

I have tried using the xcf file again and just to be sure: I flatten the image and export it with BC3/DXT5 and generating mimaps (and default settings of GIMP). But the resulting dds file does also not work.

According the xcf file - isn't an alpha channel labeled as alpha1 in the channels tab (right hand side if I switch from layer tab to channel tab)? And does not layer 9 have an alpha channel?

Beyond that it is not important as I wanted to add the environmental badge as kind of a joke to the windscreen and if I could place it on the windshield it would be more visible.

And it would have been nice to know how it works for future projects.

11. Basically I am trying a similar paint like described in this thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/banner-on-windshield-not-working.62360/

Whereas on page 1 someone mentions that for the Aston file names must be altwindshieldout.dds and altwindowsout.dds what makes me thinking if there is a similar file name handling with the C8.R ...

At the end of page 3 basically the same problem is described and solved - I will try to follow the solution described tomorrow and let you know ...

I have done some painting with success for the C8.R body and I managed to understand the region file - so I thought it would be easy to work on the window template, but it is not as I see now :-/

12. I tried the Aston of the thread mentioned above and got it working, but noticed a difference between GIMP and Photoshop CS2 with Nvidia compression tool.

I have attached the screenshots. With GIMP I could not make the windshield transparent whereas using CS and NV it was transparent out of the box (and I was using the same procedure).

I will now try it with the C8.R again.

20220525072148_1.jpg 20220525075428_1.jpg

13. Tried it with C8.R and with different filenames, too, but it still does not work, so I think it is based on the C8.R file handling as it is with the Audi mentioned in the thread.
    Nevertheless I will try the solution described on page 3 of the thread - maybe something is different in the psd template and needs different handling.

14. I think I could "close" this topic, because I decided to start from scratch (as the page 3 description is what I already did I think) and created a file with only the "banner" as a black area in an psd/dds file (no alpha etc.) ... find the psd/dds files as zip attached and the screenshot of the C8.R where the window file is added ... it seems that there is another default file or something like that, because the file I created does not have a frame.

Last attempt could be to have a sticker on the windshield area within that minimalistic dds file ...
    20220525092407_1.jpg

Attached Files:

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

if it works there is no problem
    I only tried as soon as the logo was placed, but it was just to check that it works

20220525124105_2.jpg

16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

by the way @Coutie I don't have the template folder and I had to download your corvette window that you uploaded here, you know how I solve not having the templates, I already checked the cache and nothing , it doesn't download anything:(:(:(

17. Changing the logo on top of the windscreen (#1) or placing the badge on the window frame (2) does work, no problem, but I wanted to place the badge or some text on the windscreen itself (#3) and that does not seem to be possible as it can be done with other cars like with the Aston e.g.

Maybe a misunderstanding based on my explanations and / or writing.

Sorry for that.

20220525124105_2.jpg

18. Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
  19. redapg

redapg Registered

@StoneRacing I didn't read the whole Thread, but you can do a quick Test.
    Paint the whole Texture in pink for Example, with a complete white Alpha Channel.
    Then you can see which Areas of the Windows are using the WCWINDOW Material.
    I have the Suspicion, that not all Polys of the Windows use that Material.

20. Thanks for mentioning it - I have tried it and it is as before: the frames get painted, the windscreen itself stays transparent(also the side windows).

Thanks for all your help but I think there is no way to paint the areas I would like to at the moment.

Regards, Dietmar