KNOWN Issue with new sounds and VR (speakers)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Smeghead, May 12, 2022.

1. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

Iv'e been using the RC and now on the now on the latest official build.
    Hadn't had much luck with the new sound system until today I was doing a bit of testing on my monitors and discovered the new sound works wonderfully well. Rear engine sound now comes from rear speaker etc.
    (I'm on a 5.1 surround)
    However When I use my VR headset (I don't use headphones) the sound goes wrong.
    Most of the time the engine sound is almost non existent, though If I push the look back button it comes back.
    If I go into the settings and change sound to headphones and then back to speakers I will then have engine sounds back but coming through the front speakers.
    If i quit and disable VR the sound is once again great and in surround.

so somehow the act of using VR is disabling the new effects/sound system for speakers.
    Any help appreciated,
    I'm going to try now using headphones but would really prefer my speaker setup to work properly whilst in VR
    Thanks
    edit: I have set the number of sounds to 256
    Yep headphones work wonderfully well even crappy earbuds.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Select beta none and retry. RC build is now OLDER.

3. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

Yeah, sorry if not clear am in latest release.
    Thanks

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Sorry I must have misread, apologies.

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

With VR, it is assumed the speakers are attached to your headset, we don't really have a way of telling where your head is in relation to your speakers, hence the issues.

6. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

ok I sort of get that but if speakers are selected could it just not work exactly as it does when not in VR.
    ie with a surround sound I am sitting in the middle of my speakers therefore sounds should already be positioned correctly regardless of my head movements.
    Thanks for the feedback

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is using your VR changing the speaker type/layout outside of the game? Can you override that?

8. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

nah not at all, just when I use VR rFactor is not using the new sound system properly thru my speakers.
    Is perfect with VR and headphones, is perfect with no VR and speakers.
    essentially choosing VR alters what it's doing to my speakers, whereas I would like it to be identical to what I have when not using VR.
    Thanks

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ve been away from my rig for a few weeks and have only just started using the new build after it left RC status.

I run a Rift CV1.

When it was in RC, the sound engine in 1128 in VR was amazing! It did seem to correctly position audio in relation to your head position.

Now it’s gone to release, I honestly couldn’t tell you that anything had really changed/improved over the 1126 sound engine and I don’t seem to have anything like the ‘3D’ in car VR-driven sound I had in RC….