Released Q2 Update and DLC Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 9, 2022.

1. olligreen

olligreen Registered

I am also having massive FPS loss with the new update and it seems it has something to do with the new sounds.
    PC specs: Ryzen7, 16GB, RTX2060Super, 49inch single screen; and I had 70-90fps on le mans with 60 cars and everything on high.

with the new update and sound effects on 256, I cant get more than 50fps...it is like it is stuck on 50fps.
    in the garage or right on entering the race, (at startline) the fps is high as always, but a second later, it dropds to 50fps...

(tested le mans with GTE car and new BTCC car on brands hatch)

When i turn down the effects to 64, i have my 70-90fps back...

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It is, but that doesn't mean it happens for everyone.

I tested 32 vs 256 sounds, not very scientifically (2 tests each, sitting at pit exit at Zandvoort with 10 AI), and had slightly better fps with 256 - and no discernable difference in the CPU graph. I didn't check overall CPU load. (Triples, around 100fps)

This was on headphones with HRTF, the more demanding option.

One question: have you checked your sound sample rate in windows?

@boxer @olligreen same question to you guys, as I found very high rates will turn the game into a slideshow.

@Foxtrot @GTClub_wajdi can you try changing opponent volume in the player.json? It did nothing in the RC but one person said it made a difference now - I haven't tested it yet. - nevermind - it still does nothing.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Foxtrot likes this.
  3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi
    I will check it tomorrow and let you know
    Thanks

4. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Yes this Is a good Idea and wanted to ask the same, along with which cars support the new additions (shift protection etc.).

5. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Thanks to @Devin and @Lazza , my stutters are solved. The sample rate for my sound was already set to 24bit 48,000 but I dropped it down to 16bit 41,000 and it made a difference to FPS and with the pretty average speakers I have, there is no audible difference. Did the same for my headphones and again couldn't really hear a difference. In game, I changed speaker config from headphones to speaker and this lifted FPS enough to remove all stutters. I still can't run 256 effects. I played around with it and could probably run around 100 but honestly, I can't tell the difference between 256 and 32 on my system so I don't know what I'm missing leaving it at 32. Thanks for your help.

Also, I think we need a separate slider for opponent engine volume if possible. Plenty users aren't satisfied with the volume at the moment and because it's linked to player engine volume, we can't adjust the mix between the two.

6. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

@Lazza @GTClub_wajdi

Hi.
    I actually just came out of a track session. As A last ditch attempt I changed the trackside mic from immersive to broadcast(fully knowing trackside mic wasn't going to effect in-car).
    Now I can hear the other cars near me, in 3D positional audio. No idea why that changed it, as I had it set to immersive on the RC.
    Hope that helps you wajdi.
    edit: Lazza, I had previously tried the sliders to no avail, at least with the BTCC cars.
    edit2: @Lazza When I set back to immersive I can't hear the cars on tracks again. I do use onboard sound, so maybe the system is stressed, but it wasn't an issue b4 stable update.

Regards.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Lars, Lazza and GTClub_wajdi like this.
  7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I
    Yes, checked it. 24 bit, 44000hz. Have you checked if your test was not in Gpu limit. Maybe you should check a start and not only a pit exit position.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

With win11 I only have 4 options for sound the top is 16bit 48,000. down to 16bit 8000. No 24bit at all, probably due to using the onboard sound.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is your 'performance' change not fps? Does it not happen all the time? How many scenarios have you tested?

Are you having performance issues?

@Foxtrot @GTClub_wajdi sorry, yeah, don't worry about the json. Just tried and the 'other' and 'player' options still reset, so don't do anything. Interesting find on the trackside mode! What happens if you change it back?

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Not sure how to answer this.....lol.
    Actually no, running Pancake with a new system so I'm good, Just decided to look after the topic came up. Just like in other sound posts they say to set rF2 in windows to 100%. But I only have a Steam option, no rF2 so I set Steam to 100%.(which seems to be the default anyway.)

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, the reason we're talking about this (I think) is that the CPU ultimately has to power all this, so the higher sample rates will potentially cause more drain (perhaps exponentially, but that's speculation). I have onboard only as well, but it depends on the chip as to what it will do (or say it does). Mine goes up to 32 bit 192000 Hz but I doubt that's going to produce any useful improvement in anything I do and with my setup - and could often actually makes things sound worse. Performance would certainly tank in rF2.

rFactor 2 won't show in the volume mixer unless it's running, and Steam won't be the same thing. Even the compression (amplitude compression, not size compression) we're avoiding by putting rFactor 2 to 100% of the system volume seems to be a point of argument (though I'm inclined to believe Devin), but the combination of that, in-game overall volume, the different sliders, different content, different speaker modes (in- and outside the game) means this is very quickly turning into a bit of a dog's breakfast as far as trying to compare to other people and diagnose issues.

davehenrie likes this.
  12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

IT happens always driving in a field of cars but my Gpu is not under full load. I tested different tracks, different cars and conpared the old with the new build.

13. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

This may help some of you having problems with the sound. If you use a separate sound card, disable the Realtek HD Audio Manager in Task Manager under the Startup Tab. I think you may have to restart the computer for this to take affect. There's no need to have both running.

14. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Hello guys!!

First of all great job in the several aspects that were adressed and also the new improvements in this build! Thanks a lot! :)

Now... talking about sound! Great to have now better immersive effects no doubt a bit improvement but i have to say that at least for the Aston Martin GTE that we are doing VEC the sound onboard of the car sound very very poor--- very screamish and very metalic!! Very strange... on track side cameras also bad... the great immersion is there yeah but the sound itself... very bad.. i't looks like the sample of sound is much much lower that mp3 quality looll.

Weird guys... please check it out and fix this!

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Only 4 or 5 cars have been updated so far to the complete package of sound updates. All the others will come either in further Quarterly updates or possibly within individual car updates pushed from Steam.
    Working cars are:
    IR 18 Dallara Indycar
    rFPro Formula Pro
    Toyota Corolla BTCC
    Infiniti Q50 BTCC
    (not sure about the Oreca 07 except the version still in the test folder)
    All other cars, both 3rd party mods and official content, will have to be upgraded to take full advantage of the new sound engine. The cars still will work, but often will sound like your Aston example.

pedro ramada likes this.
  16. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

Sorry if this issue has been mentioned, but I can't seem to find anything about it. I can no longer see the pit menus and toggle the different HUD settings in VR. Is this a known issue? Is there a work-around?

17. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

It looks like re-assigning the menu controls fixed my problem.

Lars and Lazza like this.
  18. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

I have nothing to add to the detailed analysis going on in this thread to help people out, but I just had to chime in here to say that it's working good for me and I am absolutely thrilled that the sound system has been upgraded. I've played this sim from the beginning and it's been the only one I've regularly used since then (tried and own all the competition, except for ACC) and the sound has always been the major disappointment for me. It is no longer a disappointment, I think it is fantastic! Thanks to the developers! (Using headphones for me).

19. sniper

sniper Registered

For me one of the issues with sound on modded cars is there is no bass, it sounds so thin and tinny, i am using a high quality external audio dac and very good headphones. if anyone wants to be able to EQ their sounds a little better try Equilizer APO and the PEACE GUI addin. this page explains them https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-sound-equalizers/. I have found messing with the EQ to get more low end sounds way better than standard. you can also save any EQ settings and assign them to buttons for different cars.
    I appreciate it is a lot of fiddling around and it's not for everyone but the option is there for the time being until cars get updated.

Rui Santos likes this.
  20. boxer

boxer Registered

where in windows do you check that?