Released Q2 Update and DLC Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 9, 2022.

1. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

This would be a great solution for an open source game. But rF2 is a commercial product with not cheap content, and there are problems not only with mods, but also with its own content, which is sold for good money (Reiza Pack). Developers would do well to think about compatibility.

2. Ayrton de Lima

Ayrton de Lima Registered

The btcc engines like the M4 Class 1 do not raise the engine temperature.

3. Simonk

Simonk Registered

I've got some significant FPS performance issues now and with all the changes and new tracks, I'm finding it difficult to narrow down what the problem is and if it's something that others are experiencing and will be worked on for future updates.
    Sound effects at 256 is unplayable. I can only run it at 32. While adjusting it down from 256 to 32, the game crashes so obviously there's an issue here but I still get micro stutters on 32 and wonder if the new sound engine is still to blame?
    Played with special fx and ultra or off makes no difference (or very little).
    On 32 sound effects I have no stutters on Zandvoort and Monza, lots on Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca, none on Donnington (exact same settings for each track) Feeling like there's a combination of issues here with whatever the underlying problem is has caused issues on less optimized tracks? Is anyone else finding Brands and Laguna a bit resource heavy? My other thought is perhaps it's related to the dust as these two tracks have a lot of dust kicked up by the AI. How is dust handled? does it get added to the GPU memory each time a bit of dust is kicked up and then just stays in memory until you leave the track?

My GPU is RTX 2060S running triple 1080 screens and an i7 7700 CPU. Internal sound card with 3.5mm plug in speakers or I use USB wireless headphones (no performance difference between sound methods). What I really want to know is, are there issues with any of the changes that have been made that I should just sit out and wait to be rectified, or is this the new performance level of the game? I have seen the issue regarding sparks noted but I don't know that it's part of my problems or not.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Special effects on low will currently disable sparks, which might help you work that out.

Other than that I'd recommend a new thread to go through your issue in detail.

Lars likes this.
  5. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

We try to run tonight in our league but we had multiple issues, first all the cars disappears during the formation lap and end up with cars clipping each other, then after a server restart the server simply crashed

6. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

so I decide to enjoy some competition and then this happends...

upload_2022-5-10_21-3-18.png

I think something broke....

7. sniper

sniper Registered

Thanks for the information
    Posting this in the release notes would have probably saved a tonne on angst for people and a clearer picture.
    Still cannot understand why it was released when only 4 of the paid content cars had been updated. All paid content should have been completed before these changes where implemented IMHO.

Corgan likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lower track details.

9. Lars

Lars Registered

Had the same issues yesterday with disappearing cars and figured out that the new build set network connections to 126kps dl/upload to default (on client, server had correct settings adjusted)...raised it to appr. 3 and 6 MB under SETTINGS - NETWORK and everything was fine again!

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  10. JParra

JParra Registered

Last night I was testing the different cars that we use in our competitions and I have to say that in all cases the sound works without problems, even in a "multi-brand" mod that we have prepared with cars from other mods. Except for the Tatuus, currently all are third party Mods.
    In some cases it suits them better than in others, but in general they have improved for the better.
    I really like the feel of sounds in VR because you can position them and they stay in place when you turn your head. If the engine is in front or behind it is always there even if you look to the sides. If you block a tire, you know exactly which one it is by the location of the sound and you can even sense the sound of the tire changing, from front-left to behind-left in a complete spin.
    I also really like being able to save graphics profiles and others, it helps a lot in VR where each car and circuit is a different world.
    Personally, I don't like the colorful labels by car brands in the time list, it seems to me that it loses "professionalism" but that is a matter of taste.
    The worst thing is having lost easy access to replays, which I hope can go back to the old system of accessing everyone at a glance and above all the irregular loss of performance, especially in VR, because we were already very fair in rF2 as to go giving away milliseconds (FPS).
    Great job guys, with a little polishing, it will be perfect. We take care of being patient.

tiffarno, Bernat and Lars like this.
  11. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

I concur, the new sound engine is great and was great when it was working for me. But after a later update it doesn't work anymore

12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I noticed a Performance loss of 25 percent with the new build but only with 128 effects. I compared Silverstone with Brands Hatch, the old Callaway with the new BTCC and there where no differences content related but after switching to the New build and back i have to say the performance of the New build is poor and i have to check how much loss i will notice with full setting of 256 in the Sound setup.

memoNo1 likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What are your system specs? CPU / M/B mainly (or discrete sound card, but I'm guessing not)

14. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

So far I keep seeing reports of issues specifically stating 7700(k) CPUs. Quite odd, really. Conveniently I have one of those here. The problem with that CPU is it simply runs out of cores right now, leaving next to no room for anything that might eat performance.
    In case you notice an actual impact from sound, try using the Speaker setting (which has a much cheaper to run mixer) and make sure your system's sample rate is not set to unreasonably high numbers. 48000 is more than enough, and human hearing can't hear more than that. Especially since the way we record our samples, mixing at anything higher than that would still leave higher frequencies inaudible anyway. In fact most games do it that way, which I guess proves the point that there's no audible difference to begin with.

On that note, unless you run out of cores (or have noticeable stutters in audio), there should be no FPS difference between 32 and 256. All of this extra work is dealt with by a separate thread

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can certainly confirm that running headphones with HRTF and a 192000 Hz sample rate kills my i5-8600 in rF2. Of course, there's no good reason to do that, and I had no good reason to, and I forgot to change it back to normal.

Makes me wonder if anyone finds those settings and says "Oooooh! Bigger numbers!" though... (yep, rhetorical question!)

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have I9-9900K
    Can you explain your self better؟ not a big pc expert here. What should I do?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Chances are you've never changed it.

Start -> Settings -> System -> Sound -> Device properties -> Additional device properties. Advanced tab.

Something like 24 bit, 48000 is normal. There's a Restore Defaults button if you aren't sure.

(I'm assuming you have your normal output device selected under "Choose your output device" in the Sound menu, but it should be when you go in there)

Flipo and GTClub_wajdi like this.
  18. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

hello,
    can someone from dev team explain what are the tyre refinements for fpro ? i would love to learn bit more about it.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  19. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The new sound engine is great and almost every car I've tried sounds a lot better than before, that's a big win. Maybe in some cases it's not the best sound we could get from the new system but it's wonderful having that improvement available through all the content. Modders sometimes get away with just what works and now it's time for them to fix their mods that were always broken but couldn't notice it. Thanks for this update, it has improved immersion tremendously.

Balazs Magyar and Lars like this.
  20. Andregee

Andregee Registered

A discrete soundcard is in use but it does not matter because audio hardware accelaration is since Windows Vista dead. My CPU is an oder one a 3770k @4,7Ghz and 2400mhz RAM. I know that actual CPUs are 50- 70 faster in rF2 , not because more cores, rFactor 2 uses mostly 2 and the third gives only a minimal boost, but because of the Ipc. I will check with 256 effects later, but i guess, i will notice something near 40 percent performance loss and after that i would be with an actual CPU on the same level as with my old one, using the new build