Marcel Offermans leaves rF2 / S397!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by memoNo1, May 4, 2022.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

The difference in rF2 from 6 years ago compared to today is incredible. Pre 2016 it was only in our wildest dreams that rF2 would come this far. Well done @Marcel Offermans and the team for having the passion to drive the simulation forwards, and we can only hope that the next person in charge is a sim racer like Marcel and has the knowledge and love for the sim to keep pushing and takes it to where it deserves to be.

2. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I also associate Marcel with the great development of RF2 since 2016, without him and his team we would probably see nothing more. So we got a RF2 that has (almost) everything we wanted back then. Thanks a lot for that. I hope your retirement doesn't mean anything negative for you or the sim. Take care

3. Corti

Corti Registered

4. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

5. evi

evi Registered

Thank you @Marcel Offermans for all your hard work, passion, astronomically high levels of patience.
    Best of luck in all your efforts!

6. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

7. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

And in my opinion, it is not a good sign for the future of Rfactor 2, it will not happen soon, but I am convinced that it is the beginning of the end of this wonderful simulator, too bad because it was taking off and growing fast with so many updates and contents new!

sman likes this.
  8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Just like acc and ac died when Stefano left?

vava74, nolive721, Rui Santos and 3 others like this.
  9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Every one is important but no one is irreplaceable.

Rui Santos likes this.
  10. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

The situation was already uncertain when Paul was added to the team.Only time will tell...
    You can rely on the fact that you can't rely on anything.
    But the deal with MSG pisses me off.

11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

“Building on the success of our recent UI and gameplay improvement updates, we also want to assure our fans that nothing has changed in regards to the scheduled quarterly content drops, with many more still to come.”

Hopefully that's true. Anyway someone is meant to be asking Elon Musk if he wants to buy rF2 seeing as he's on a spending spree at the moment lol. Someone out there will keep rF2 going imo.

12. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Sad,it's not a rocket ship simulator,but it would be a great idea and even greater Elon would say "yeah":D

13. gecervi

gecervi Registered

the comparison is not reliable, they are two completely different products, ACC It is a purely commercial product and has no little simulation, RPF2 It is the only valid product that can annoy the giant IRACING

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Meanwhile, the current RC has some really solid (core) improvements and changes that seemed for years like they'd never happen. Now Marcel leaves - so maybe he was holding up progress or has a different vision and decided to leave (or was pushed?) and rF2 will now power ahead?

We could dream up a thousand scenarios, but what's the point? For some it's clicks, for others it feeds their pessimistic and negative viewpoint, while probably the majority of people just keep playing the game the way it suits them. If rF2 continues to improve more people will play it, and that can only be a good thing.

Take a breath. Go for a walk. Or do some virtual racing. Whatever. Don't stress about a game sim.

sman, svictor, stonec and 8 others like this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I see people joking about Elon Musk. Funny thing is that ISI seems to have worked on things that should go along with driverless cars, and obviously this could be tied to Tesla, and of course Elon Musk :D https://www.rfpro.com/

TrigMan59 likes this.
  16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Cheers for all you've done for the sim Marcel, hope your future is bright and you get to keep following your passions! Hope this is not the end for RF2 because if it is im gunna kill myself by listening to vogon poetry until I expire whilst waving a towl in surrender!

Marcel Offermans likes this.
  17. trichens

trichens Registered

If you are abandoning ship then I hope that there's a "Heart of Gold" starship with infinite improbability drive passing by :)

18. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Registered

ahahahahah yeah right another living in the moon....

19. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 was sold to Motorsport Games a year ago from today. Since then, there have probably been arrangements and discussions going on in the background for months. Marcel announcing his departure this week doesn't mean there wasn't a plan to move things forward to MSGM's hands long ago.

Marcel being a sim racing enthusiast and now leaving us is of course sad to hear, but Marcel is not the head of MSGM. AFAIK he is working for Luminis and Studio 397 was a sub branch of that. This arrangement never made much sense to me after MSGM decided to buy rF2. MSGM surely has enough game developers in house and actually things with the UI and sounds have been moving forward nicely, so I wouldn't look at this development as overly dramatic. The acquisition of S397 by MSGM was the much bigger move.

pkelly, trichens and GTClub_wajdi like this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

It's a normal "movement" in the adquisition of a company.
    The buyer doesnt't have enough knowledge of the internal functioning of the bought company at the moment of the buying. Then it's normal to mantain the "old" board of directors, until they have enough knowledge. When they think that they can manage the bought company, they put their people in the key posts, to manage it in the direction that they want.
    It's possible that there are more changes in the team, and therefore, more changes in the direction of S397.

In any case, good luck to Marcel, he deserves it.