Wheel profile will not hold

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MikeV710, Apr 23, 2022.

1. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi,

I have this Issue were my wheel profile will not maintain It´s selection for a given event. Let´s say I select to do a practice session. I set all my settings for the event (car, track, weather, time etc.) I then go In to the practice session screen I hit drive. Prior to that I have selected my wheel profile and loaded It but by the feel of my FFB I can tell It´s not loaded. So I go out to my setting UI while I am back In the pit and select my wheel profile again, and load and save it. I go back to the pit and again, Its not using my selection.

I have to do this every time I start a event, and I have to jump out of the drive UI (pit) and go to my settings and load my wheel profile, but even If I do that, It will not hold, so I have to do It three or more times till It finally holds! This will happen randomly, but more then I would like too. It´s quite annoying and get´s frustrating after a while.

I am using a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel set. Not the best but I don´t have similar Issues with other racing sims.

I am also getting some UI dimming for a few seconds, and also even If I delete all my replays and go back to replays, some will show up again.

All this Is with the recent stable version.

Thanks

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Define "recent stable version". You should be selecting "None" or "Release Candidate" from the betas list in steam.

How is the FFB not right?

3. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi Lazza, and thanks for your reply.

Ok, let me rephrase that, none version. It also happens with the RC version.

What I mean when I say "the feel" of my FFB, is that In my wheel profile I have my FFB set to my liking. Which means that when It´s loaded, my wheel profile that Is, I can tell It´s loaded by how my FFB feels. When not loaded, my FFB Is a lot more stiffer, which In turn means (at least to me) that my wheel profile has not loaded. Or, It just doesn´t output the FFB how I have It selected because everything else works (wheel, throttle, break).

I was racing just now and I can even jump out of the session (back to pit) jump back In (hit the drive button), do this like three of four times until It magically loads my wheel profile. I don´t even have to go to my settings (as I usually do to "try" to load my profile) to load my profile. But again, If I try to load my profile from the settings page, It still loads It when It wants to because as soon as I jump In to drive, my FFB is stiff again. I have to go back and fourth till It decides to load.

It´s weird to say the least and It´s frustrating when It just keeps happening which Is 80% of the times.

I also notice that I have this rendering Issue aswell. Cars will appear without wheels or wings for a few seconds and all of a sudden render the missing parts.

I plan to reinstall rF2 and see If this gets any better but I am waiting for public release of the RC which I guess will be next month.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

only if you back up your controller.json and then use windows to wipe every single directory under rFactor2. Using steam to un-install and re-install your game leaves many folders with many possible problems inside. To get a fully clean install, you have to wipe with windows. And then you'll have hours of downloads.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you've got a few things going on, and probably not what you think.

Missing car parts - check this setting. If you have it >0 the game will disappear bits of cars to try and keep FPS up.

upload_2022-4-24_11-18-27.png

Wheel profiles - you're talking about the wheel profile resetting itself when you go back to the Settings screens.

The Enter profile name part doesn't normally show your current profile. It'll look like this every time you return to the screen:

upload_2022-4-24_11-21-35.png

So your loading/saving isn't doing anything. The game isn't going to change your profile settings when you go to a race or change sessions or anything else.

That's why I'm asking exactly what you're feeling with the wheel/FFB, because if something is changing it won't be the profile settings but something else happening with the wheel - might 'simply' be losing proper FFB, or rotation is failing to be kept correctly by the game or device driver, or something else...

Are you using the logitech profiler to set your wheel up? Logitech Gaming Software? Which version? How are you setting the wheel in there, can you show a screenshot of your settings? Are you using profiles for different games or using global settings? What are your wheel related settings in rF2? Especially device driver or software? (screenshots!)

Basically I think you have something going wrong with the wheel state, and finding that will fix your problem.

6. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi and thank you both for your help.

I did a new Install (uninstalled previous software and deleted drivers) of the Logitech Profiler software (v5.10.127(x64) yesterday but that didn´t seems to fix the Issue. I did find though that resetting the FFB In game with the In game reset FFB function would bring me back the softer FFB feeling on my wheel. So any time I would jump Into a session and found my FFB to be In the stiff side, I would just hit that reset (assigned) key and It would bring back what I think Is the settings I made to my wheel, without doing anything else.

I will upload screens sometime today as rF2 Is on my other PC (sig) and I have to capture screens and send them to my e-mail because It´s not on a local network. But I haven't touched anything on the Logitech Profiler, everything Is on default and there´s no specific game profile made or launched from the profiler.

I am not saying I might have a Issue with my FFB on my wheel but It´s working fine In ACC, AMS and AMS 2.

With regards to rendering pop-ups, lowering the setting (detail FPS) did the trick, I have It set now to 0.

As for uninstalling from windows , IIRC If you try to do so with a Steam game, I think windows reverts to your Steam app In order to do so.

Again, thanks guys!

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When we say use windows, we don't mean the control panel app that deletes programs. Use Steam to un-install, but then use the Windows Explorer file app to manually delete the remaining folders inside rF2.

MikeV710 likes this.
  8. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Oh ok, yep I usually do that too.

Thanks

9. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi again,

Not that I mean to be disgraceful for not posting what Info that has been asked for, It´s just that I am transitioning to a new wheel, just got the base today (TM TS-PC) and wheel will arrive tomorrow (TM Open Wheel), so any Issue I have with my DFGT wheel will be Irrelevant.

I still need some new pedals for my new setup but that will have to wait a bit for now cuz I am broke with regards to sim racing budget :D

Any way´s, thank you all for your Interest on helping me out much appreciated.

Good care and drive safe!

davehenrie likes this.
  10. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi again, I am still having the same Issues despite my new wheel (TS-PC) when ever I reset the weekend practice/qualy/race. I have changed where my older wheel (DFGT) was plugged In (USB), so this new wheel Is plugged to a different USB then my older set-up.

I have a key mapped to rest my FFB which gives me back my FFB settings whenever that happens (lose all FFB on my wheel). TM app software and firmware are all up to date, so I guess It´s not a Issue with the older wheel or software this time.

11. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Form what I am seeing here lately, there´s seems to be more then one user losing there FFB and save settings on different wheel platforms so It would be worth a deeper look into this If that´s not already being done.

12. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

I concur. I have a new G29 using G Hub and my Wheel Profile won't stay. I have to replace it every time I start a session.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What's changing?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sometimes not having FFB is normal, and that's where the reset FFB command comes in. If that fixes it, you have no issues. I don't know why it happens, but it's always happened (that's why the control is there).

It's just a wheel reset/initialization thing. It's nothing to do with losing or restoring settings.

@Ricky Law Whenever you get back: if you're referring to the UI no longer showing which profile you have loaded, that's normal. Even moving to one of the other settings pages and back will make that box empty. It doesn't mean anything - your settings are still the same as they were.

15. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

similar glitch here. the DD1 get mapped to joy2 or joy3 seemingly randomly, so i have saved out two profiles one mapped as joy2 one mapped as joy three an i need to swap them, in my case not between sessions but each time i start Rf2.
    Note, no other games affected, only rf2.

16. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

Lazza, the values that I chose in my profile are gone, set back to default I assume. I have to reload my profile to get those values to show.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Which ones? Can you show screenshots?

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My fanatec wheel swapped from joy2 to joy1 after I left another usb device unplugged. Strangely, with Win11 it has worked with the old profile. Keeping multiple devices turned on, and perhaps even more importantly, discovered by Windows in the same order is the best way to prevent this mixing of usb devices.

CeeBee likes this.
  19. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

Lazza, it was the car specific multiplier that caught my eye. But I must admit, I just tried it now, and everything was fine. Go figure!

20. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

OK. I had an alternate profile, and that is the profile that the ui kept reverting to. I have deleted that alternate profile and we shall see what happens