Fps loss when racing with AI

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darkojovanoski1986, Apr 23, 2022.

1. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

Hello, I love rFactor 2 but having some issues running more AI cars at a same time. My pc is:
    i5 9600k
    Nvidia 1660 ti
    16 gb ram

When i use 19 ai cars (20 visible in settings) I see frame drops below 60 fps. I know rFactor 2 is cpu demanding sim but I think my pc generally is more than enough to handle this amount of Ai. Tried to change use thread to true but it's already set. In profile I use for OSW wheel.
    Tried to lower graphic settings especially shadows, reflections, but with no luck.
    I really don't want to race against 12 ai cars becouse then I can maintain 60 fps without problem, no matter what gfx settings I use.
    Even tried to format my pc and same issue is present again.
    Thanks

2. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I had your CPU, switching to i9 9900K was night and day, stable high framerate, more AI before bottleneck.
    No solution, you are CPU bottlenecked like us with AI, you have found your limit.
    Save money and buy the i9 9900K, it will solve your issue.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  3. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks for the reply. That was what I thought but can't be sure if someone with same specs confirm the issue.
    Strange is that all other sim racing titles I drive, was almost maxed out even ams 2 which has gorgeous graphics, Acc was little difficult but I can find balance easily and looks good too, not to mention other titles. Rfactor is oldest and demand much more then them, that's why I asked in the thread. Thank you :)

4. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

AMS 2 has simple/low physics, rF2 is the top of top about the physics :), even older, at this day, there is nothing superior to this engine about physics calculation.

davehenrie likes this.
  5. darkojovanoski1986

I can't deny that rf2 has top notch physics. But ams 2 is pretty close. With custom ffb files i like the feel of driving even more than rf2. Rf2 has something that always brings me back but for reasons mentioned above I can't enjoy it properly.

6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

you overrate AMS2, it's not close at all, AMS2 is or equal to Projet cars 2 about the physics. About physics, rF2 destroys AMS2, and Custom FFB is not physics, just fake rumbles and strong wheel when you turn.
    You can enjoy AMS2, but here it's not taken seriously about the physics, you are in the rF2 forum :) and we all know what rF2 does as its best.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  7. darkojovanoski1986

Of couse ffb is not physics :) but feeling of driving is where ffb comes to us. Can't fight that rf2 is best at physics but ams is pretty close. If you drive project cars 2 and after that ams 2, you will notice the arcadish nature of pc2. I don't know when you gave ams 2 really a chance becouse I was on the same thoughts with you. Bought ams 2 before it was released, looked good and then after few updates become unusable becouse I didn't like it how it drives. Now after latest update I give it proper chance and was pretty surprised how it drives and feels, I mean realistic.

8. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

"simple/low physics" is that a technical term?

Back on topic, you didn´t mention what you pc use is like. You might have done this already but might want to try optimizing your windows os... turning off as many unnecessary services usually helps me with frames and smoothness in rf2 (and everyday pc use).
    I also leave the visible ai at 16; some will pop up depending on the track but it doesnt really bother me.
    Post processing effects and texture detail also matters; the 1660 isn´t a powerhouse anymore with all the pbr and 8k liveries rf2 uses.

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  9. darkojovanoski1986

First thanks for replying mate :)
    I did a clean installation of windows 11 Home edition, formated pc also. Dislabled all unnecesary stuff like game recording, xbox game bar, only game mode set to on.
    I didn't use much other programs, only stuff I use for racing, (simhub, opentrack, crew chief.
    Turned off notifications in windows also. But none of this matter when I try to race against around 20 ai drivers.
    It's strange that changing graphic settings does not affect fps that much. I speak about s397 tracks. Lime rock for example, 20 ai drivers on track including me and I get 54 fps at start of the race.
    I tried to lower textures, anisotropic filtering, post process off but result is +3,4 fps.
    Ai is eating cpu badly but I think game is not great optimised for newer processors. Not that i5 9600k is new but i see people even with i7 processors struggle with the same issue. I am not that technical to enter in conversation how much threads and cores are on but I can't belive that my proceasor is not capable to run 60 fps at all conditions on sim that is 8-9 years old.
    Maybe there are some settings that needs to be changed in player.json... don't know really. I am not planning to simulate races with 50 cars but only 20 which is really strange...

10. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

I mean that probably helps but I´m also talking about services like Hyper-V, printer control, Windows insider stuff; all the stuff you see on the services page .
    Still it probably wont give you a drastic boost. Maybe RAM could be tweaked? I´m not that savy in that area unfortunately.
    Perhaps trying out a lower resolution or less screens (you didnt mention what you´re using either).
    I mean you can´t really think of this as a 9 year old game because of the many changes it has had over time but I´m fairly sure you can get over 60 fps stable with that cpu.
    Hopefully someone more experienced with intel can help you out there :)

11. darkojovanoski1986

I hope so! Thats why I asked :) thank you!

12. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

you are CPU bottlenecked.
    Change CPU, or reduce AI.
    If when you race alone all is fine : no solution.

13. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Press ctrl c and you will get a small graph up. If the green bar is full your are graphics limited. If the purple bar is full you are physics limited. You could try reducing the number of visible AI. Your graphics card is probably more average than your CPU.

14. darkojovanoski1986

Guys just to say thanks to all who tried to help. After much tweaking and experimenting I found the biggest issues to run 60 fps with 20 ai visible in any conditions and any track.
    Used ctrl c to view the graph and strange thing is that with 20 ai purple bar is barely 1/3 full, green is always full no matter what. That actually says that cpu is barely used but from what I know green bar should be always full BUT that is actually the issue, we cannot see where is the limit of the gpu and how much can i take. With tweaking, ssr reflections to off I get huge fps boost, track details to high from full even get more boost, opponents detail from full to high gave me around 5 fps. So I ended up with max 95 to min 75 on nordshleife on rain conditions at dusk with 20 ai (20 visible) with porsche cup car which is most demanding from my experience.
    Bottom line, rfactor 2 have most archaic graphics but is most demanding. This sim needs heavy optimisation from the devs. It's strange to have results like this definately!

15. stonec

stonec Registered

That makes little sense to me. rF2 runs AI on a single thread. Therefore, it doesn't make any difference to buy a CPU with more cores in most cases. The only benefit would be the increased clock frequency of the i9, but that's around 400 MHz difference only, so less than 10%.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

Maybe. You can make any sim demanding if you tweak the conditions to the most difficult ones (lots of AI visible, rain, dusk, Nordschleife, etc.) You didn't mention what resolution or screen configuration you run with. 1660 Ti is generally considered a 1080p card, so with any resolution higher than that you would have to lower the settings in most games. rF2 is also rather heavy on VRAM usage, meaning with opponent/track detail full and a large track like Nords you may reach the 6 GB limit of your card, which causes sudden FPS drops.

17. darkojovanoski1986

Yeah I run 1080p. I test with most demanding conditions so can easily drive in other scenarios as well. I see that rfactor have biggest hits at the start of the race while standing start and until the first corner while all cars are visible. If your pc survive these situations not to drop below 60 fps you are good to go after that. Nordschleife take time to load but fps were like on other tracks.
    That ssr reflections were biggest fps killer. You need really powerfull gpu to run with high fps with this state of the game. Again I think rfactor need heavy optimisations in graphics but maybe the engine is limiting factor for that.