New hard drive, how to manage?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by atomed, Apr 22, 2022.

1. atomed

atomed Member

Currently I have a Western Digital PC SN720 drive for Windows and rF2 install and another one for the workshop linked drive.
    I just ordered a new hard disk, a WD Black SN850. The difference in performance is big, as you can see here.
    https://versus.com/en/western-digital-pc-sn720-2tb-vs-western-digital-wd-black-sn850-500gb

Anyway I don´t know if I should maintain the current old config just changing the new drive to the linked workshop content, or put everything in the same new drive. I fear that even being much faster, the installation of Windows would make rFactor run slower in case I put all together in the new drive.
    I don´t mind using the new drive with the sole purpose to make rF2 run faster, any recommendations?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It'll make almost zero difference in rF2 and I wonder if you'll notice any difference generally as any SSD is already blazingly fast compared to HDDs.

rF2 on the same drive is no problem, because of the above and because SSD.

atomed and PatientRF2fan like this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

Those are SSDs, not hard drives. An SSD doesn't really get slower the more you fill it up like regular hard drives used to do since SSDs can access any part of the disc with the same speed. At 90% or more filled you may get some degradation in write performance, but it shouldn't affect game loading times.

And yeah, I agree it wouldn't make much of a difference in rF2. rF2 is mostly CPU limited in loading times. Buying a new CPU is unfortunately the only way to significantly increase track loading times at least. Also the theoretical advertised numbers aren't much relevant anyway. Here is a benchmark of game loading times with various SSDs. I would consider the differences negligible.

atomed likes this.
  4. atomed

atomed Member

Noted, thanks for your help guys.