Released April 2022 Release Candidate Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A note for anyone who might have missed it - the new sound settings include a Microphone option. This switches between Broadcast (which, like rF1/rF2 forever, has each camera's microphone fixed in position and orientation, so looking around makes no difference to the sound of cars going past) and Immersive. Immersive makes the virtual microphone attach to your camera, so whatever way you're looking the sound will be correct.

Strangely this option doesn't produce its own help text in the UI, but this is huge. YUUUUUGE!

There's still a lot to be done, and in many respects much of what we're seeing is stuff that's long overdue, but this RC is the most impressive rF2 update I've personally seen in terms of substantive items and the majority actually being things people have commented on or asked for in the past. This feels like S397 finally has rF2 by the scruff of the neck and is going to be able to achieve some things, rather than adding some frills around the edges.

Back on sound, a couple of seemingly unanswered questions through this thread so just for clarity: setting Speakers in-game uses the windows speaker configuration. 5.1 (and etc) works properly, both inside the car and from trackside cams. Full surround, and generated correctly from your current position and orientation if using the Immersive microphone option as mentioned above.

Myrvold, Ricardo Diz, Lars and 4 others like this.
  2. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I am having sound issues with some cars mods namely from Apex modding and specifically the Bentley and z4
    Car produces a very high pitch screeching distorted noise when you rev up and so weird clonking noise when you drive over kerbs
    Funny bit is that a couple of others cars from their GT3 pack I tested are fine like the AMG and Ferrari

anyone having same issue or could test?
    This pack is free on the Steam Workshop

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

THE ONLY SOUND UPDATES THAT ARE COMPLETE ARE THE ORECA 07 IN THE TEST FOLDER. GO BACK TO THE REGULAR VERSION (do not use the RELEASE Candidate for other cars like the APEX GT3 or even other S397 until the sound update becomes the norm.)IF YOU WANT TO USE OTHER CARS DO NOT USE THE RELEASE CANDIDATE. RC IS A TESTING VERSION, THEY WILL NOT HAVE FIXES FOR OTHER CARS AT THIS TIME.

4. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Thanks but just trying to report and understand and why it broke some cars sound and not others

davehenrie and Lazza like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Sorry for the brusque tone of my reply. There are 4 days of posts scattered in a dozen threads about the sound. This is a big step and most likely modders of tracks and cars are gonna be left with a lot of clean up work after S397 finalizes this. My apologies.

Elcid43 and nolive721 like this.
  6. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Well if it is already causing issues with current mods in RC, then I would hope the information is given to modders prior to public release going live so we can avoid pages more posts then.

dylbie and nolive721 like this.
  7. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Having the same impression. Even at high framrates it doesnt run as smooth as before. Have to check against non-RC

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

So it seems rF2 doesn't like 24 bit 192 khz bit rate one bit. Is it a know issue or something new? Massive stutters and audio clicking and even bad crash that restarted my computer in a big rage of wheel spinning hard right and loud repeating fast sounding loop. I've had to drop to 24 bit 48 khz before stability came back.

9. philman

philman Registered

Excellent update both in terms of quality and quantity.
    The new sound engine seems to have a bright future and it is already delivering great effects.
    In 2018, I wrote:

Some ideas for S397 to further improve the graphic aspect of RF2:
    [​IMG]
    The water splashes are not limited to the rear wheels but also concern the front wheels.
    I do not think it is necessary to recall the case of sparks...
    [​IMG]
    Look for the error! Missing the reflection of the headlights on the wet track...
    That's all for now. Good luck to S397 for the next events and especially the May roadmap

So everything comes little by little to those who know how to wait.

Same thing with the tire sounds. There is some improvement but the flaws I mentioned in my topic "Sounds of tires" are still present. I wrote:

I intervened several times on this forum to express myself on a defect in the otherwise remarkable cars developed by S397, a defect that I think it is important to remove because it harms immersion and driving precision. To say the least, my interventions did not really arouse the curiosity or interest of the readers. So I decided to try to remedy this problem at least for myself.
    The problem lies in the sound of the tires. Indeed:
    - the sound of skidding in a corner is the same, whether the track is dry or wet
    - when you block the wheels when braking at high speed, the sound of the tires disappears
    To try to solve this problem, I started to search in the Rfactor2 mods, the ones that reproduced these noises as faithfully as possible. I managed to isolate the lines in the .sfx file that needed to be modified. Unfortunately, the S397 files are encrypted and the story would have ended there if I hadn't discovered by chance that these modifications could be done through an "upgrade.ini" file.

But I'm sure S397 will make the necessary changes in this area

RaceNut, Bjørn, TJones and 3 others like this.
  10. Raymond van Soest

Raymond van Soest Registered

I've attached the rfmini.dmp and the tracelog to my post in "Technical and support". I'm not sure what timestamp you're looking for though.
    @bobbie424242 Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried that earlier but that had no effect unfortunatly.

11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I can't change the Formula pro gears, I'm stuck at 1st gear.

same, it doesn't feel as smooth as before

12. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

You have to use the test version if you are on the RC.

13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

oh, ok thanks.

Elcid43 likes this.
  14. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

did some motecing on new fpro engine, it looks like fpro in RC is being detuned ? why ?
    in RC version im only getting 750 hp.
    while in normal build "old" fpro im getting 795 hp.

15. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Maybe it is because of PTP?

16. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

when I spin with the all the cars, there is a weird bug when the car stops, the car still moves and rotates for a few seconds.
    Massive bug.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  17. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Might be true, and i'm not a fan of it.
    another thing,
    this new engine seems to take longer to reach it max rpm(and hence power).
    would like to hear from S397 if anything is truly changed in fpro engine physics.

18. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I have also noticed the occasional stutter also.

Bob Gnarley likes this.
  19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the sound engine is mufled when you go on curbs, like a bug

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The kerb sound is meant for a new system that currently only the test Oreca implements. If some existing content sounds especially bad you could maybe report it properly (like, you know, with details).

pkelly likes this.