Released April 2022 Release Candidate Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 13, 2022.

1. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Probably been mentioned but with this update the AI (Oreca/Daytona) all ?stuck? driving really slowly, and some driving around in cricles in the pits... the new test Oreca and the regular oreca tested. didnt bother testing anything else, uninstalled the update. three steps forward 2 steps back, the usual story.. might be time to start working on that AI engine.. the sounds were fine.

avenger82 likes this.
  2. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Logitech G HUB?

3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think the sound engine tweaking is a very interesting and complex topic. It all comes down to what you want to transport with your sound. Are we simulating sound from the helmet POV with ear plugs, or are we simulating a cam capturing onboard sound. There are sims out there that have fantastic sound but I allways feel that they are a bit over the top. I would question that you are able to hear brake whizz for example. Another interesting point to keep in mind: race cars in general have zero acoustic insulation, so you will hear alot of the stuff that is going on outside the cockpit even if you are in a closed cockpit and depending where the exhaust system of other cars is facing it can vary greatly in noise level. For road cars this would work completely different and I am not sure if the new sound engine is capable of simulating that. In a roadcar for example the main noise comes from the tires. Sadly I haven't been in a full spec racecar going full beans but I guess you won't be able to drive something like the Oreca without ear plugs and that's soemthing that should be transported with the sound. And what's up with all the noise about wind? :p Do real racers with a helmet/earplugs on really hear the wind noise in an open cockpit?

Bernat likes this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Just tested the Oreca at Daytona and had no issues. Are you sure that you aren't using some obscure version of the car? I did some offline practice sessions yesterday with different content and saw very few issues. What kind of session settings are you running?

I find it a bit harsh to come to fast conclusions if you don't give any info while using an RC. And the sound engine wasn't fine. rF2 was the last sim on the market to have no proper surround support. Now let that sink in a bit. The Oreca Test version sounds great btw. If the rest of the content get's the same treatment then you have a solid base.

davehenrie likes this.
  5. EricW

EricW Registered

mega update guys, thanks.
    also tested the Oreca tonight and AI was fine btw, no issues.
    I do have some stripped tin-top and helmet experience...Imo The sound is greatly (a leap) improved on my spatial audio headphones, great stuff.
    The sound effects were still on 64 by default, had to lift them to 256.
    Sparks are great too, but did not see other Oreca7 AI cars spark, maybe I'm the only one bottoming out?
    Graphics improved also...and the UI is becoming neat and professional, the tip texts are very helpful.
    love this, keep it coming!!

6. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

If you can, please kill the game in task manager when it's in that state and send a trace of that our way please, as these are always worth investigating

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Audio: It seems as though many of the cars produce an effect representing interior (car shell) resonance. Closed race cars with most interior panels / insulation should produce some resonance qualities, so it actually seems pretty realistic, imo.

The real issues with audio are mostly related to balance / volume of various car sounds. once those are sorted (per car), I think the overall audio experience will be very good indeed.

davehenrie likes this.
  8. Week

Week Registered

I can't barely hear my own car when i'm racing close to others. I just hear opponent engines. Any solution?

Tested with Ferrari GTE at Road Atlanta.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Take out the test Oreca 07 to Le Mans and listen. with the default setup, she'll drag the undertray, causing sparks and a scraping sound when you get to about 315kph. By itself you'll max out at 318kph. The Ligier LMP2 can get to about 322kph with it's default setup.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The sound is a work in progress. ONLY a car updated will sound close to normal. The Oreca 07 is the only one I know for sure, and then only the Oreca 07 that is in the TEST folder with the TEst rFpro and test IR18. I suspect more of the cars will get the sound once-over prior to the full release in May.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I tested the different settings now and what did the trick for me with the headphones and 5.1 setup apparently was setting onboard sounds to 100 % and engine sound to 100 %. I have the feeling that moving to the new sound engine this should be somewhat default setting or something at around 75 % to make tweaking still possible. I had it around 25 % and could barely hear my own engine aswell, wich worked good on the previous sound engine. Now it's really ripping through my ears :p

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

BIG NEWS! SOUND UPDATE!
    This review of a beta will focus on AI.
    If the update was for big leaps in AI behavior, would you spend the bulk of your time on the sounds?
    (there ARE some AI updates btw)

13. elbo

elbo Registered

Fix the indycar that you broke

14. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Been following this thread since the start to see if anyone has the same issue I have. Apparently not. The game will simply not start at all. The only thing that occurred to me was to delete Player.JSON and restart. Still nothing.
    Is it possible that a complete reinstall of rf2 with the beta selected might solve this?
    Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome. Cheers.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd recommend starting a new thread in the technical and support section rather than trying to get help in here, and I wouldn't recommend reinstalling rF2 entirely as 95% of your time and bandwidth will be spent replacing stuff that has nothing to do with your issue.

pkelly and Mark Lloyd like this.
  16. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi,
    I can´t get to shift past 1st gear on the Indycar and Formula Pro. Any Ideas? Just figuring It all out for now.
    Thanks and congrats on this RC.

17. Feer9

Feer9 Registered

Just a big enthusiastic THANKS!
    We are witnessing the beginning of a new era for rF2, and I'm eager to see how development will evolve over the course of the year. Keep the good work!

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Use the cars in the TEST folder

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I don't have any wiper sounds?

20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Can anyone help me understand why most times i load up a wet track i get no reflections at all on track? I have to load and re load the track multiple times and still sometimes don't get any wet look to the track!!!
    20220414120157_1.jpg
    Also WTF is happening to the Corvette??
    20220414160350_1.jpg
    were if i swap camera it is normal inside???
    20220414160403_1.jpg