Released April 2022 Release Candidate Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 13, 2022.

1. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Sounds great, I check VR and performance later :) I hope rF2 needs not more performance now ... and hope the UI problem is fixed

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  3. philrob

philrob Registered

Simulation player
    i have 5.1 surround so i chose 5 in the json, i dont use headphones(0 for headphones in json)
    this is how i understand it.

4. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

It doesn't show the option because it is not an option. Now, you have the choice between headphones and speakers. Speakers will use the speaker setup from the windows settings, so if that is set to 5.1, it will use 5.1. There's a reason things aren't in the settings. Please don't try to do things in the player file that aren't there in the UI.

As for general sound settings:
    I see complaints that engine sounds are too quiet and effects are too loud. I'd kindly point out that there are sliders to tune that to your personal preference in the settings.
    Additionally, please make sure rFactor 2 was not lowered significantly in the Windows audio mixer. If that is the case, please undo it, and use the ingame master volume slider instead. Doing so in the windows mixer removes dynamic range so the game has to compress effects quite aggressively, causing strange fluctuations in perceived volume.

As for the most obvious issues: mixing. The engine was designed to be backwards compatible but obviously due to the very different nature of how it works, that means it will inevitably sound different with existing content. The only clear way to fix this is to update the content, so stay tuned for that!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    pkelly, Brent, tiffarno and 5 others like this.
  5. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Not those options, the "HRTF SELECTION" option i was talking about.

6. philrob

philrob Registered

Devin,
    thanks for this info, i didnt know this.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Studio397 guys...

[​IMG]

memoNo1 likes this.
  8. DrRobovnik

DrRobovnik Registered

Hey, I'm almost certainly doing something wrong here but I've swapped over to the release candidate in Steam, the build number shown when loading the rF2 now matches correctly to the release candidate, however I don't seem to have the "Test" type in my car list? Anyone have any ideas why? Thanks.

9. Devin

HRTF uses a technique that filters audio based on your actual head shape. Every person has a different shaped head, so everyone perceives direction differently. Due to this, different types are available for selection. How you can identify that the set you've selected might be the wrong one for you? If you are directly looking at the source of the sound, but it sounds like it's actually coming from above or below, that's usually a giveaway. The same obviously goes for sounds directly next to you, or behind you.
    By default we ship three different ones, but if you happen to have a personalised dataset you can place that in your UserData\HRTF\Custom folder to select and use it instead.

Here's a good video for figuring out a personal one:

r00b Driver, DanRZ, Brent and 5 others like this.
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Very interesting....are you part of S397?

11. Koo Kyoseon

Koo Kyoseon Registered

engine sound of BMW M4 class 1 2021 became new one, really great. cheers s397!

12. Devin

[​IMG]

Capeta and haunetal1990 like this.
  13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The same is because of the language or because of my misinterpretation of what it says, can someone explain what it means:
    Shift Protection, Engine and Brake Cooling
    thank you

14. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Registered

So far I have tested the following S397 GT3 cars & all of them have the muffled in-car engine sound except for the Bentley Continental 2020 (it sounds great!). One thing I noticed is the cars with the muffled engine sound great when switching to look behind view. The Bentley sounds great in-car but the engine sound is muffled when looking behind.

I have the Onboard sound set to 100%. I also deleted my player profile & still no change. No issues with any other sim & RF2 sound was normal until update. I have a stereo speaker setup.

Muffled GT3 in-car sound:
    Audi
    Callaway
    Ferrari
    Mercedes

15. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Nice thank you very much and also for that windows mixer advise.
    i was using lower windows sounds rather than lowering it in-game via master volume, going to change that mistake asap.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If it's supposed to be going AROUND my head I can't hear it like that. Most are sloshing between my ears when around the back of my head.

17. Fer

Fer Registered

Updates and improvements are welcome. Congratulations and thanks, I hope that without detecting faults in the general operation, the work presented to us will not be considered finished, since it still has its faults, I do not know if they are insurmountable due to their own nature, the weather and the lighting changes are still a bit abrupt and random and without concordance in relation to the clouds, for the rest it is still the user who must make parameter adjustments in files to obtain better results, according to the individual perception of course, being grateful for improvements, there is always the feeling of something unfinished. a greeting

18. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Many would prefer tuning every sound effect to their liking. I'd prefer not to have too many knobs in the audio settings but rather have reallistic sound out of the box, not something made up. I mean, do we need a setting to change gravity? Why should sound be tricked then?

But it would be useful being able to adapt the sound output to different quality of amps and speakers. Some will use high fidelity headphone or speakers while others may have low quality V sound equipment. Equalization might do the job.

19. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

it sure looks like there is a problem with 5.1 systems

in player.json
    the game forces this parameter to the value "1"
    if I set it to 5 (as it was on the normal version), the game returns it to "1" as soon as I launch it

"Number of output channels":1,
    "Number of output channels#":"-1->Use Windows Control Panel Config, 0->Headphones, 1->Mono Speaker, 2->Stereo, 3->SRS Circle Surround, 4->4.0, 5-> 5.1, 6->6.1, 7->7.1, 8->8.1",

with a brand new player.json, I have this
    "Number of output channels":1,
    "Number of output channels#":"-1->Use Windows Control Panel Config, 0->Headphones, 1->Speakers (Auto-Layout)",

but 5.1 does not work; neither on the normal version, nor on the RC

20. Devin

Make sure your system is configured correctly in Windows. If it works there, it works on RC

2ndLastJedi likes this.