WIP Game hang on session exit - repeatable & fix (I think) - Devs take note!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Gary_S85, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

Ok, so this is quite repeatable for me and only appears to happen in the new UI.
    I enter a race at Monza (have not tried other tracks yet).
    44 AI and session type does not matter. For these tests I have been using practise and qual.
    On first exit, all is OK. I return to the main menu as expected and replay file is saved.
    If I load back into the replay, session will resume as normal and no issues.
    However, if I exit the session (replay saved too automatically) and then quit rFactor from its main menu and head back to windows (just as you would when normally closing down the game), and then load up rFactor again, load the replay of the session again to pickup where I left off.....all is OK when going back into the game.
    BUT....if I exit this particular session (re-loaded replay AFTER RF2 had been closed), the session will write the replay file as normal, but the game will not exit back to the main menu. Instead it remains on the session UI.
    Live and replay box go black, timings disappear from the session UI, but all menu items are still clickable from the session UI. Again, the game will not revert back to the main menu.
    Subsequent load attempts of the same or new replay will give the same results.

So, I decided to go to steam and select the "old/previous" stable build (I am not sure which build version this is exactly), which I think has the old UI (White/Red colour scheme). Since using the old UI, I have not been able to reproduce the bug. Each time I have exited a session, it has done so cleanly and without issue. More testing needed, but yeah, it appears to be a session exit bug related to the new UI.
    Here is one on a plate for you!!

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I was able to reproduce, thanks for the report.

Gary_S85 and atomed like this.
  3. atomed

atomed Member

Watching these issues tagged as wip fills me with hope.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I just want to say, it doesn't mean it's being worked on, but there are a limited amount of tags to choose from.

Manfredk2 likes this.
  5. atomed

atomed Member

I know, but knowing you take it into account means much more to us than you guys think.

ThomasJohansen and Manfredk2 like this.
  6. Craigbowie

Craigbowie Registered

For people having issues with the game not exiting correctly, do you have wheel and hands enabled in your jason file?? I was having this issue too and just by luck i don't like seeing the hands on the steering wheel while driving, so i changed my jason file to wheel only. Game has shut down correctly every time now... food for thought!

atomed likes this.
  7. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I have
    Code:
    "Steering Wheel":0,
    And have never exited successfully since the new UI.

8. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

I hope the development team get into this bug and sort it. Pretty fundemental issue not being able to exit a race.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well, here is the thing. My race exits just fine. I expect many others do as well. You are not alone in having this issue, but it certainly does not affect the majority of users. Nailing down the 'reason' for the problem may be difficult. Do you have any extra plugins running? Custom skins? A dozen(or so) USB connections? Old Video card? Using the logitech profiler ghub?
    Try the good ol basic fix. Rename your Player.json file and let rF2 build you a new one.