rFactor 2 | The Road Ahead

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2022.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Well it depends how you define populated I guess. I see a bunch of servers with 90% AI (I don't even know why AI cars are listed in a multiplayer lobby). The actual number of humans online currently is 10-20. I assume at prime time on weekends it could be 50 or optimistically 100.

iRacing has dozens of series running simultaneously with races every hour and furthermore, races are divided into splits depending on your skill level. I don't know what numbers you have been looking at, but even at the most inactive hours iRacing rookie Maza cup has around seven splits, each with 10-12 players, making it closer towards 100 players racing in just this category in every hour at minimum. At the more active hours, Mazda cup races have 20+ splits.

avenger82 likes this.
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Not to bitch about other sims, but far out the racing in iracing is about as aggressive as a game of lawn bowls. Not being able to put a couple tyres over the white line and also being severly punished for just scraping an opponent makes it about as hardcore as a trip to the shops on a Sunday morning. rFactor 2 races are much closer to actual real racing - you don't proceed with extreme caution at all times - you actually have to be a bit aggressive. And with that being said so far every single race I have ever been in bar one opponent were very respectful. Maybe it's better that there are less normies.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    atomed likes this.
  3. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Comparing iracing to rF2 is just silly, it's apples to bowling balls. AMS2, Raceroom or ACC is a much better comparison.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

My fault, but I've never tried those games.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

True. AMS2 has lots of praise on various social media, yet has 40% less players than rF2 using the same Steam statistics. ACC has four times more players and ironically, AC1, which hasn't been developed in five years, currently has ten times more.

Emery likes this.
  6. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Sorry, but this blatant disinformation cannot go unchallenged. There are 2 Mazda series on iRacing: the Global Cup (fixed setup) and Advanced. For the former, 2022 Season 1, there were 58,180 people who participated in the former. That series is limited to 12 people per split and to free tracks deliberately. And typically there are between 8 and 20 splits, every hour of every day. For the latter, 13,230 people participated. This is every two hours, and gets typically 4 splits with 25-28 people per split.

Even for IndyCar open (road + oval), there were 2,506 people who participated. How many participated in the IndyCar CS series here? Last I looked it was 200, with only 4 people having done all 6 weeks.

The UI was "necessary but not sufficient". It's clear people checked it out, then went back to doing what they had always done. Which is closed league racing. The CS is still woefully inadequate. There's almost nil improvements to offline and AI racing. Why would numbers increase????

avenger82 and sg333 like this.
  7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Yeah, I realise that. Just bitching that apples seem to be quite popular, whereas an (albeit unpolished) diamond is largely igored (by the 'masses').

It's actually just reminded me of a certain Youtuber who approaches strangers and gives them the option of having a chocolate bar or a small solid silver or gold bar. Most choose the chocolate bar. I don't really understand it at all, which is why I bring it up. I guess people know what the chocolate bar is, they've seen it before, whereas the silver bar seems like something foreign to them?

That's why I think maybe a big part of it is that iRacing have become masters of creating this shared delusion that iRacing is real racing and it's what all the pros use. Hey, if you have an iRacing career, you're practically a racing car driver already!

I think I've made this point a few times now but peoples gravitation to a 'brand' is crazy, and once a brand gets momentum it dosn't even matter if the product is good anymore, people will want it. Most of the time the thing that is most popular is actually pretty poor quality. Anyway, don't mind me, just thinking out loud here.

8. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

do you think we will have a track for each quarter release ?

9. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

I think that likely, yes :)

pkelly likes this.
  10. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

damn....NICE !i!

11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Nice, and amazing, 4 tracks per year, finally a very good thing :!

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have more tracks now than I will ever use, and frankly, more cars as well. But there is a large pile of steaming bug fixes that I would love to see addressed before another track or car separates my wallet from it's contents. (not saying I will hold off buying DLC, just WISH broken things got fixed first). I do appreciate the almost hidden physics updates such as the 3 different wheel bases for the new Indycar. Heck I saw an item in the Tatuus setup screen the other day that I have no idea what it does.(I keep meaning to ask about that)
    So I understand tracks and cars are different, I will welcome them, but there is SO much work yet to be done on the core of the sim.

13. Simulation_Player

yep,I'm still waiting for gt cars and m4 class 1 fix their multiple problems.
    I wish to buy indycar but so far looking how much old paid content is abandoned for so long....i'm goona vote my wallet.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I just think it needs to be mentioned.
    With the last update, S397 showed that the single player mode is not dead.
    Many of us have complained and now a great update has arrived.
    We should really appreciate that.
    I would like to express my thanks again.
    Videos in YOUTUBE show that the AI works in ovals too!
    I miss the joy here of emphasizing positive things as well as negative ones.
    With all the madness around us these days, that's very gratifying.
    keep it up S397!

15. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

sorry, I use only the s397 paid DLC for the tracks, I like the quality, and I have only 8 tracks I use : Nurburgring/Nordschleife, Spa, Monza, Azure, Sebring, Le mans, Daytona.
    The Reiza tracks are outdated about the graphics, and without laserscan, they feel liveless.
    Even if I have all the DLCs in rFactor 2, I don't use or rarely the others DLC like the Formula E/karts...
    So I'm happy, I have not enough tracks at all, the lack of track is a big regret for me, finally a very good thing is incoming.

16. philman

philman Registered

17. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Yes agreed

romain is very passionate about things he does and that includes sim racing

surely there is going to be some further focus on physics with a driver of such caliber hired as advisor

well I really hope so but I might be a bit biased being French myself lol

anyway let’s see the impact he will have hopefully soon on some flaws in the Game

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    Simulation_Player and memoNo1 like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Formula Pro is getting an update to the new tire with the next quarterly update. Looking forward to that...oh, and hoping/waiting until ALL the modern cars getting the new Goodyear based tire....

memoNo1 likes this.
  19. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

lets hope for 10 races in a row he gets caught with FCY bug that has never been fixed since launch.. and it gets fixed ;)

nolive721 likes this.
  20. Simulation_Player

Now that we have 2 F1 drivers (alonso & romain) at MSG , who actually play rfactor 2. it will be a good time to add F1 from V8 era which both of these drivers have plenty of experience with, also V8 era has higher chance of getting actual data from manufacturers, hybrid would be far too relevant to give data on most likely.