Huge Frame drops with ai

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Rolando, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Rolando

Rolando Registered

my pc with ryzen 5600x, rtx 3070, 32gb ram at 3600mhz cant handle over 20 ai cars really weird sometimes when i got the first position apparently not problem but after the 2nd or 5 lap the fps drops from 130 to 20, and get worst if i last.

So far i try msaa at x2 and off, when i turned off only drops to 50 but the problem remain also the game look awful, alreday validate the files, cpu and gpu temps are low, around 50°c and 64°c. all settings are in ultra, then try in high without improved, no problem with 16 ai, official dlc get worst performance

g29 with thrumaster tlcm

2. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Must admit I too find the AI quite taxing in FPS despite having a decent system. It would be good to know if there is a solution to this. My specs are Ryzen 5800x, rtx3080, 32gb ram and 2tb NVME drive. VR user.

3. Rolando

Rolando Registered

So i not the only one with the problem, thinking to do a clean w11 install

4. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

I confirm I have seen the same issue in my VR setup; doing race with 30 Ai.
    If no Ai is in my field of view I can hit 90fps in my headset (Oculus Rift CV1). If there are Ai in my field of view FPS dips to 45 fps or even lower.
    I have tried to run the game in minimal graphics setting but same issue occurs, when an Ai car is on my field of view fps drops to half. If enable detail autoscaling maintaining 90fps I can see that only ~5 to 6 cars are visible but at a very low detail level; even sometimes only showing part of the wheels.
    Playing with the option visible opponents also does not solve the problem unless the number of visible opponents are lower than 5.
    I can setup a video showing the issue; just point me to the car/track combo to use as a base line.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  5. FERNANDO CABRERA

my specs are: Ryzen 5900HX, RTX3070, 1TB NMVE, 16GB RAM, Windows 10, rFactor2 with all patchs, Oculus rift CV1

6. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Same here - only Ryz3600 and NV3800 ...:(

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Almost all of you have fairly modern systems with great equipment, but most of you have Ryzen cpus. I wonder...

8. FERNANDO CABRERA

Hopefully dev team can request additional information to sort out what's happening (logs, system details, diagnostics, videos, etc).

9. Rolando

Rolando Registered

so devs are to busy or they dont even know about the official forum.

10. Rolando

Rolando Registered

you can run rf2 maxed out with up to 30 ai without fps drop?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you log RAM and video RAM usage? That huge fps drop sounds like a memory thing.

12. tuki

tuki Registered

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Heck no, my box is at least 5 years old, and slightly prone to video crashes. I can get a fair number of AI but certainly at much lower quality than what you guys are achieving. I average around 90 to 100fps, at tracks like Oulton Park with 24 GT3 cars. But last week I was trying the Ligier LMP2 car, not the brand new one, and my fps droped to around 50 with just a few of those cars on track. I've been meaning to revisit that car and see if it happens again.

14. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

We are here following don't worry.
    Which track or tracks do you get this on?

15. lagg

lagg Registered

There is no an universal answer for this.
    It will depend on the car, the track, the display configuration in rF2 en the system specs of the PC.

16. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

There are two things here, adding more cars on to the track resulting in a decrease in performance - this is logical because there are just more things being rendered, and it is just a matter of finding the balance of what your PC can handle to a degree.

The second is a report of huge FPS drops on the second or so lap. This we have seen a few reports of and are interested to know more about. I've seen reports of disabling replays fixing the issue, does that help at all? (Obviously this should not be required, but could help us identify the issue)

17. lagg

lagg Registered

From what i've checked in our comunity, disabling the replays has helped to several people who had stuttering due to CPU spikes, but i'm not sure about FPS.

18. Rolando

Rolando Registered

well cant find the ram log, userdata, log, cbash, results, shaders, and all the tracks i race like spa, so wich are the one to look,

no matter the time of laps, my fps drop even in pits when i select real time drop from 200 to 50 or 200 to 20 when select the replay tab, i would try disabling replay

19. PulsatingQuasar

PulsatingQuasar Registered

I have seen unusual FPS drops as well. This is with a GTX1080Ti and now also RTX 3080. The unusual part is in that when the FPS drops happen, the GPU usage also drops. I use a Reverb G2 VR headset. The system has 32 GB RAM
    I use a 60% supersampling resolution with the Reverb G2 and some tweaked graphics settings in the game.

For instance, on Monza.

With the GTX1080Ti, I get a constant 90 FPS frame rate with between 80-90% GPU usage if I am on the long straights or in the forest areas. I use fpsVR and Afterburner to check this. In 2 locations I get FPS drops. In the 2 more open areas. Namely getting out of the last corner heading into the grandstand and pits area and entering the open space in Variante Ascari.
    What happens in these 2 locations is that the FPS can drop to 60 but ALSO the GPU usage drops to 60%. Afterburner does not show a drop in MHz or any other issues.

Now here is the kicker. I dropped in the RTX3080 which is way more powerful. Did not change any settings for the graphics or Reverb G2. Off course I get the 90 FPS on the straights. Obviously with a lower GPU usage, it is now between 60-70%. I get the same thing in the 2 more open areas. The FPS can drop to 60 and now the GPU usage, because it was already lower, can drop to 40-50%.

The system has a Core I7 running at 4,6 GHz and has 32 GB RAM. It did not have an issue with maxing out the CPU.

Something really weird is going on. At least in VR. But getting frame drops and also lower GPU usage is odd.

20. FERNANDO CABRERA

I'll check it tomorrow and report back.
    Any particular track / combo?, Or what ever we like?

Any pointers to low / med / high polygons cars and also some simple / normal / complex tracks?.

I don't have any gt3 or monza, all other cars and tracks I have them, testing ideas are welcome.