Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

simhub i don't want it

2. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

So, I upgrade my laptop, and try and see the changes in rFactor2, to my surprise if i run with Ai fps will dip to 45...
    i can be runing witn 40 Ai, if I see more than 10 cars on screen frames dips, is there are only 5 or less I hit 90fps.
    there's somenthing in the way that oponents are been drawn in screen, its drasticaly affect performance in VR.
    BUT and the big BUT is that I can see that the GPU does not been use more than a 50%
    there's ans inderliying issue in the way oponents are been drawn in the screen in VR

3. Magus

Magus Registered

@FERNANDO CABRERA - not sure if your issue is the same as what I was experiencing, but since I upgraded to the Nvidia drivers 511.23, the issue with my GPU utilisation sitting at 50-60% has been resolved.

FERNANDO CABRERA likes this.
  4. FERNANDO CABRERA

Heads up, the rfactor2 settings widget had been updated and allow the configuration of Open_fsr and Open Foveated.
    I'm having excellent results using Open_fsr, enabling NVIDIA Image Scaling in the mod configuration, setting render scale at .69, sharpness at 0.1, 300% super sampling in steamvr and finally enabling FXAA in reshade options inside settings widget.
    AAA graphics in vr.
    90fps solo or in a race have to reduce the number visible opponents to hit 90fps

atomed and Andy Bonar like this.
  5. FERNANDO CABRERA

Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunate I´m stuck at version 510.06 that is the latest driver for cuda on WLS2 instances (work that I do), I'll update to newer gpu driver when ever nvidia push a newer one for my workload.
    Right now i'm using Open_FSR to up my graphical fidelity while having 90fps solo and 45fps with Ai.

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

AI is a fps killer in VR. Even with one AI car 100m in front of you it becomes unplayable in VR. I’m now doing only hot laps

7. Comante

Comante Registered

I have a fairly low powered VR, but I've not had problems with AI and performances. (I run a reverb g2 with a GTX 1060, so fairly low resolution and details overall, but it is pretty playable to me with 12 visible vehicles.

Lars likes this.
  8. FERNANDO CABRERA

Give open_fsr a try, the installation is available in the latest version of rfactor2 settings widget. Try render scale at 50% And double your current resolution.

On paper you'll have the same performance

atomed likes this.
  9. atomed

atomed Member

I saw your system specs some time ago and were way better than mine, you have something wrong in your settings if you can't do AI. I can with 10-15 cars visible.

GTClub_wajdi and Lars like this.
  10. FERNANDO CABRERA

Actually, there's a way to identify how many ai you can have in screen hitting your wanted performance.
    Use the auto detail option in Rfactor2 settings and target your desire fps... That way you can visually see how many Ai opponents are visible and at what detail level.

I can say that it should be see by the developers what's causing the massive dip in performance when Ai is visible in the player field of view

11. Comante

Comante Registered

Sorry for the dumb question: what is rf2 settings widget? (language barrier here)

12. atomed

atomed Member

It's a very useful app to control some rF2 settings, give it a try.

13. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

14. Comante

Comante Registered

Ahhhhh that's cool, I use the same technology in DCS, but for my rig I'm not sure is beneficial.
    But in RF2 is very handy.

P.S. for people like me that struggle: I use both DCS and RF2 at 60 Hz, I know, at the beginning the white flicker is pretty disturbing, but unless you stare directly at white clouds, you soon get pretty accustomed to it.
    In this way even I can enjoy the fun of VR racing. The game is smooth and the visuals good enough.

P.S. : Did someone tried foveated effect?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  15. FERNANDO CABRERA

I read somewhere is effective for wide field of view headsets, rift use here so narrow field of view.

Also, I preferred opens_sfr for the additional clarity using upscaling that I can gain while keeping the same performance, it also use a simple foveated effect in the upscaling procedure using two detail areas.

Give a try to both of them and see which one works better for you.

16. Piortekpeer

Piortekpeer Registered

Hi, my '3d vision' monitor broke down and i think about buying valve index headset. 3d vision with rfactor2 and many other games works very nice and smooth at high graphics settings. I'm wondering how VR will be work in rf2 if my PC spec are:
    i7 4790K @ 4,8 GHz
    RTX 3060 Ti

is it good enough for valve index?

17. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes your CPU is good enough for VR, but the main question is: how you manage to keep stable your 4790K ? I have the same CPU but can't OC past 4.6 GHZ.
    Could you share your settings? I have a beefy noctua CPU fan, so heat is not a issue.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  18. atomed

atomed Member

I have no idea about CPUs but I use the Index with my i7-8750H with 32gb RAM and a 2070 Max 8Gb VRAM on a laptop. If it´s of any help it runs very well with reshade and different filters.

19. Piortekpeer

Piortekpeer Registered

Thanks for replies guys! For years i am gaming with stable 4,8 (vcore at 4.8 is 1,26V). Cooling is old block 'EK supremacy' with home made watercooling (pump 'Eheim COMPACTON 600 l/h' now and radiator for water). If temps are ok then maybe just your cpu is weaker for OC or mainboard have less power phases for cpu. i have mb ASUS Z87-A (it is not top for sure but not bad either). my cpu isnt scalped or something.

20. Comante

Comante Registered

Wow I gave a quick try to foveated rendering, unfortunately I see 2 dark half moons in each eye, but image quality is very impressive in the sweet spot, somebody stumbled in the same problem and was able to get rid of it? I would really like if it worked correctly, there is a lot of headroom for performances.