"Light cars"-VP review of rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nieubermesch, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Why do I think you actually calculated that. ;)[/QUOTE]

:D

2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Somewhat unrelated to the current discussion but I've got a few minutes before work so yeah, I'll just say some random stuff i've been thinking...

I used to have a small "sports sedan" (Alfa Romeo Alfetta) which weighed a touch over 1000kg. For the tyres I had a set of 225s which is a very wide tyre for such a small car. I also had a small diameter rally steering wheel and no power steering. This car had HUGE amounts of grip, you had to really muscle it around corners due to there being so much traction at the front and such a small steering wheel. Also, the car hardly ever went side ways - on the limit the suspension would osilate like crazy - you could slide it unbelievably easy in the wet, but in the dry there was just too much grip.

Anyway, dispite this being an objectively a light car, it felt HEAVY.

Compare this to another car I drove , a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. It had RWD only mode, and it had some serious Hemi power! The car would rotate very easily with even light throttle. It also happened to have ridiculously light steering. It also had much less grippy tyres, and pretty stiff suspension (for a car like that). So, despite being much heavier, due to the higher power to weight ratio, the very light steering and the fact that the front end would wildly change direction at the blip of a throttle, it felt way lighter than the Alfa.

I don't really know what my point is here. I think perception of weight can play tricks on you even in real life. Having heavy steering made the car feel like it had more inertia, even though it had objectively less.

In rF2 I almost never think in terms of what the weight of the car is doing like I do in other games (in other games the physics feel more sluggish and maybe this is being percieved as weight/inertia). I don't "FEEL" the car in terms of mass... in rF2 I always find myself thinking in terms of what the tyre is doing. I drive by the feel of the tyre. Maybe once you can really feel the rF2 tyre, all of a sudden the car can feel a bit heavier because you know the limit and are driving to the limit, not just always going over it/under it contantly.

3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Pretty much matches my thoughts on the whole subject until now. It's a combination of factors that compose suspension, car rotation and the sensation of grip or really the actual grip. Not much grip and you can't really feel the lateral forces can you?

It's all good and I linked this to VP video and maybe he has taken some pointers from us too ;).

Some cars in the game due to unrealistic tires will be weird though and that is a lot of the S397 DLC, and I'm sad I have to repeat it so much, but it's true.

4. Henri Sinik

Henri Sinik Registered

Someone obviously hasn't seen me try new tyre model and other simulators

5. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Eh you still occasionally just yeet the steering wheel into this front slip breaking state so same energy, just less lock :)
    I doubt that works in other sims at all though so you probably shuold've posted an ACC or iR video instead

Havner likes this.