Released INDYCAR IR-18

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I purchased the Formula Pro car and enjoyed how it drove, however the vertical bar at the center of the halo was very sight restrictive even when set to transparent. I believe I read that it's only 10% transparent.

I remember racing at Spa in the Formula Pro and coming out of the "bus stop" chicane, down the pit straight and had trouble trying to see my braking point for La Source as the bar of the halo was blocking my clear vision of the road. Basically the bar is about the width of the road at the exit of the chicane as seen on my 2D monitor. From what I've read, it's much better with VR since there are screens for each eye giving a 3D like experience and allowing the driver to "see around" the bar of the halo.

I'm hoping the vertical bar at the center of the aeroscreen in the IR-18 can be set to be at least 50% transparent which would make sense as we have 2 eyes that can focus around objects in our field of view.

Yes, I believe someone posted a Motorsports Games document that said they were going to be using rF2 for Indycar eSports. So this was pretty well known to be coming.

avenger82 and GertjanD like this.
  2. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Completely agree would really like to see (not see?) an option for both cars to make them more transparent or even invisible.

GertjanD and Bill Worrel like this.
  3. lagg

lagg Registered

Totally agree, too.
    Using VR, after some turns you don't even see the halo (i use VR). But on screen is very anoying, because is in the middle of your sight and it's disturbing all the time.

GertjanD and Bill Worrel like this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I got to say, it's a bit tricky, especialy with the NDAs and contracts once bigger publishers get involved. The Apex mod has been in development for quite some time now, same as Daytona. For me it was pretty clear with the Nascar and Indycar lisences and the published info of esports events being run in rF2 that we would see that content sooner or later. I am pretty sure there will be further content releases in that area. The new LMP3 is pretty fitting aswell, as LMP3 is supported by the ACO, especialy for ELMS and the Road To Le Mans races with a mix of LMP3 and GT3 cars aswell as the Porsche Cup cars. IMSA is a target aswell otherwise we wouldn't have a Daytona or Sebring release. So that content makes alot of sense and I would be carefull working in that direction as a modder.

Another thing that people and especialy modders should be well aware off is that there is a market for the official payed content and free 3rd party content. The 3rd party content will be interesting for leagues and private MP racing. There has been a payware Indycar mod before and those two mods could very well coexist. Especialy for the Apex guys, whos content I allways regarded as great with ongoing updates and dedication by the team, it might be well worth to really focus on their historic content. The WSC 1970s cars and the 90s Le Mans cars are fantastic. The older GT3 cars are great aswell, as they perfectly fit into the GT500 car set and are a bit more unique in their charactersitics. The Z4 GT3 is still my favorite GT3 car. Anyway, I know some modding teams might be a bit upset, but people should understand that there is room for all that content to coexist.

vava74 and pkelly like this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

The halo in the middle of the screen is not realist. In reallity pilots don't have problems to see what's in front of them, due to stereoscopic vision.

Alnorate, boxer, Nieubermesch and 3 others like this.
  6. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

It's not realistic to have a flat monitor in front of you while racing either. But the fact is that the vast majority of simracers/simflyers/sim-simmers have that. (Me included).
    In F1 2021 (yes, one may enjoy non-hardcore sims as well), I remove the pillar. I find that to be more realistic than having it there.

TrigMan59 and Nieubermesch like this.
  7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It is an option on this car.

Nieubermesch and Elcid43 like this.
  8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Dead on with the added feature that when we shift our head slightly to the left or right, back or forth to see uphill ahead Halo's are just plain nasty visual impediments. 0-100% Transparency serves all users.

Bill Worrel likes this.
  9. Schumi

Schumi Registered

Oooh my God! No words! You made my coming year :)

I've been waiting this monster for years!
    Now we need some classic American tracks ;)

PatientRF2fan, TrigMan59 and dradecki like this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Every car is much more exciting now, as it brings hopes to have awesome physics like latest three cars, FPro, M4 PRO and Tattus.

It is probably going to be GT3, probably BMW. But I hope it would be some less powerful, less fancy with aero car, ideally purely mechanical grip car...

11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

They don't seem to really care about that sort of car though, so I doubt it. Less aero dependent could be, but yeah, M4 GT3 I guess, and if those tires on the other cars are also fixed I can start to smile a bit again.

mantasisg and davehenrie like this.
  12. boxer

boxer Registered

Includes all teams!!! Nice, looking forward to these...
    BTW what is the track in the last screen shot?

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm wondering if James' track will still be on Steam after next week? They have already stated that all S397 events will be with their own track, so anyone thinking about competitions will have to buy.
    The only way you could warn off modders would be to have them sign NDAs, but then, what if the S397 project fell through? You really can't do much until all the contracts are signed, sealed and delivered.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you are referring to the last image in the web announcement, then I'd guess a street circuit. LONG BEACH???? (that would hit the Indycars & Imsa. ) fwiw, Longbeach was my first organized racing event back with Nascar2 and the TPTCC mod from the USPITS.com. It was all done by email. You ran a race offline, sent in your times, and the results came back two or three days later. It was an honor system about NO RESTARTS but I have to admit once or twice after 1st turn AI caused Kerfuffles...I did fudge a bit and restarted. Later they were one of the first online leagues with modded cars from Nascar 3 or 4(forget which) All road racing, no ovals.

dradecki likes this.
  15. boxer

boxer Registered

I wish but I believe Marcel mentioned that while S397 was working on US tracks LB wasn't one of them. But does look like a street circuit for sure. So there could be another track announcement...

GertjanD likes this.
  16. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Detroit, St.Pete or Nashville then.

GertjanD likes this.
  17. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

MG carries more weight and a bigger checkbook along with an experienced staff. Contract negotiation should now be much easier and as a result more products coming. This is the way they feed their families, and I for one like to make sure they have dessert too.

Modding Teams have really been the backbone of rF since first mods I downloaded 2007. Over the last few years S397 began to step it up with quality of content, the majority of S397 payware is nothing short of brilliant for driving and setup experience.

Apex Modding has members that have been huge contributors since the early ISI days, not many of the old guard still on mod duty. No doubt, the 917 is one of the precious few mods that the S397 staff looks up to in regards to quality.

As for "impinging releases" between S397 and Mod Teams I pretty much agree. Now that S397 has access to licensing resources anything in a currently sanctioned event (beyond club racing) will pretty much become a risk for impingement. We saw that with the Cadillac DPi car too.

I am hopeful its not so much a point of frustration to the Apex Modding Team. It's folks like them who kept rFactor very much alive, just ask Gjon Camaj. Without them rFactor would have gone the way of GP Legends.

pkelly, dradecki and Elcid43 like this.
  18. dradecki

dradecki Registered

For me, with all this new content and specifically Indycar, my interest in rf2 has been revitalized. Hope you keep it going.

Elcid43 likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Nashville isn't a track....lol....

20. sg333

sg333 Registered

I LOVED the Nashville track. That would be mega