rFactor 2 | The Road Ahead

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2022.

1. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

If someone wakes me up at night and asks where the eternal discontent will be, I'll say at once - the RF2 forum. I absolutely do not understand why people make themselves suffer by playing RF2 - is it pathetic to remove the game and content you paid for? Your nerves are more precious. Endless whining isn't going to make this game any better, or any other game.

It seems to me that it's time to create a special reservation for those who want to voice their dissatisfaction in order for S397 to hear it. And they don't care and that's a good thing.

Do you really think the studio after the 115 comment about AI is unaware of the problem? What nonsense to have to write obvious things. The thread is about Daytona, which we've been waiting a long time for, but it's 90% of the posts about RF2 being a trillion years old failing to live up to expectations.

Filip, Emery, pig and 6 others like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hang around long enough and you see multiple mini-generations, new people coming in and being all excited, putting down other games and saying how good rF2 is, then discovering some issues and not being too happy about them, asking for fixes, not getting fixed. Discovering content/feature issues, after a while asking for fixes, being disappointed there aren't any, or some come but not others (or new problems introduced), questioning dev motivation/competency, intentions, the future. Questioning other users. Leave in a whirlwind of insults and "rF2 is dead" posts.

Rinse, repeat. Life goes on, people play rF2, people play other games, new games come out, older games fade out.

Lars, Pumbaa666, Alnorate and 9 others like this.
  3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

This is quite accurate of course. The endless whining (from me too) can be quite annoying and from the outside I know how it looks as I've seen other people say the same things almost as a pattern too and almost the same post.

I've made my position clear. I've waited for the end of January to see how things are going in terms of communication. All I did this past blog updates by Paul is point out the lack of trust and hinted things once again making no appearance while spending so much time at just a simple track, endelessly going about it's turns...

People ignore the barrage of points I've made and like S397 position has been the normal one of a game developer. It has been worse then pretty everything around, but you guys really like to eat it all up. My position now is the healthy one, where I'm defending myself and will not complain as I stopped my supporting of S397. Unnistalled their DLC cars with jokes for tires and thats it.

I'm not leaving RF2, I' leaving S397 behind. Maybe they can still make it up this year, but the cautious position is the propper position with this lack of trust and them being part of MSG and the recent disaster with another game... Cheers.

4. thorfynn

thorfynn Registered

No. Not another subscripton model...

But what about a kickstarter campaign ? Just take a look at Star Citizen. Where are they now 400 Million credits ? ;-)

Pumbaa666 likes this.
  5. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Reiza AMS2!
    Try it,great ...

TrigMan59 likes this.
  6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hmm, physics mate?
    Last time i started this is 5 or 6 months ago.
    Well maybe i reinstall it..

7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Hum, don't. Maybe some cars are fine, but majority didn't felt right for me.

tiffarno and memoNo1 like this.
  8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

You should,i like the FFB more than my once beloved RF2 FFB.

memoNo1 likes this.
  9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

FFB isn't bad for sure, I like it too.

Dady Cairo likes this.
  10. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I've just been reading the huge list of changes in the update for AMS2 and here we are with our marvellous skinny RCs and some content. Here's hoping AMS2 can substitute rF2 in rhe future, because they have been killing it with passion and effort!

shiet and Pumbaa666 like this.
  11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

AMS2 is certainly one to keep an eye on. They continue to make steady progress. Reiza has a good reputation for finishing what they start, and I think they'll manage to do that again, despite the many challenges encountered within the game-engine. It's just going to take more time than originally hoped.

With rF2, we may not all like the current direction of travel however, any forward progress is better than nothing. Kudos to S397 for kicking off 2022 with some interesting new rF2 developments. :)

Nieubermesch and juanchioooo like this.
  12. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

AMS2 has actually developed well and the FFB is the best right after RF2 (to draw even there would have to be much more transferred especially directly from the physics of each car). And Monza is also really good for me but also not better than the RF2 version. Interesting about AMS2 is but just in comparison to the frequently mentioned criticisms in RF2 for example:

Spa: just race with a mixed field of drivers with pit stops and changing weather, then you can see that the AI of RF2 is not the worst (AI brakes and accelerates in strange places, when it goes into the pits at the same time, all drive on top of each other and the AI builds a tower).

Multiplayer: catastrophic in places with everything you can have in multiplayer (ghost cars, cars that fly around in the world, cars that are suddenly inside you, etc.).

And in general, the quality of the cars and tracks is absolutely different from absolutely brilliant to total failure is there really everything.

And yes it is regularly and much updated but still there is also much shadow

Nieubermesch likes this.
  13. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

14. Roninho

Roninho Registered

I cannot imagine the $10 for Monza with bad AI lines being the issue per se. The issue is probably more that S397 does not seem to be focused on keeping players on board after they spend money on the game. Lazza gave a great summary of what happens all the time a bit further in this topic, i quoted it here:
    I think everyone on this forum has fallen in love with RF2, knows the potential of RF2 but also encountered the limits of the game and the issues that for certain type of players (for example offline ai players) are simply 'game-killers'.

The problem i see with how S397 is handling this is that they have chosen a model that alienates a bunch of hardcore players by simply not adressing those core issues over all these years. As a result very dedicated players (as in guys modding etc.) leave the game.
    Imo if S397 can find a way to make it interesting to stay they would a) get more revenue because i think they would spend on the game and b) have a lot of better content from these modders and c) the game would simply be more attractive because the core is better

RaceNut, avenger82 and memoNo1 like this.
  15. Roninho

Roninho Registered

Yes and no. First impression is great imo, after spending some time in it it still has issues with ai, sc, no mechanical issues, etc.
    I find it a great game for having a blast for half an hour, but i havnt managed to get it up to my preferences to do full races.

Iracing is for sure not the best/most realistic 'racing'-experience, but they are good in putting stuff online that is a finished product. They are the only game that i can start and do a offline ai indycar 500 mile oval race without any issues. So AI have good pit strategies, safety cars work, etc. etc.

16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Thx!
    That's it!
    Monza is just the tip of the iceberg.
    BTW I still love rF2!;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  17. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

I was once an ISI games only racer... Enjoyed rF1 for many years and my share of 24 hour races in both 1 & 2... I made it through most of the early years of rF2 before taking a few years off of sim racing in the hope that a future comeback would give me more than eye candy arcade games, a bug mess that's physics could be a shiny diamond covered in coal or a tiny userbase on a Reiza game...

Came back and found a few little improvements and some hope... Only to see that hope fade over the last 4 years as many aspects have gone backwards not forwards...

I completely concur with Lazza... People who are still new to rF2 have hope for it and heap praise on the dev and PR teams... Those who have been around for more than a couple of years have run out of patience because they have been around long enough to see the sim falling behind so many other options on the market and feature after feature either being broken or ignored...

Producing a new UI and releasing content that was already widely available for this sim is not going to change the narrative that MSGS has now of a quick cash grab. There's no need for the Indycar with the screen as there was already an official Indycar in the DW12 and mod teams have already produced the screen version or Daytona which I had raced in rF2 some 8 years prior...

I have lost hope that Motorsports games will be anything more than a cash grab and this latest "content" release just furthers that outlook... Backed up with the NASCAR game which should of been an easy job considering what can be learned from the rF2 stockcars leaving fixes and models to deal with... The next domino is how well the BTCC game is delivered to customers as like the NASCAR game there's a lot MSGS can learn from rF2 with for the BTCC format...

NASCAR has a huge US following but the BTCC brand has worldwide appeal... Not only in real life but also in the gaming world from the TOCA game series... If MSGS gets that wrong it's going to be a huge uphill climb for the company... With rF2 taking a backseat to the face saving campaigns of both the NASCAR and the BTCC series...

Reiza gives me hope that Codemasters isn't the only company able to finish what they started with what they achieved with Game Stock car and the first Automobilista... And whilst Codemasters have skipped some parts of race simulation what they have put out works and makes the experience enjoyable...

2022 isn't the year for sim racing... Much like 2013 it's still wait and see or play some games that tickle that simulation itch but leave you unsatisfied and wanting more out of them... Finding that balance is down to each person... For me, someone who a decade ago was hoping that rF2 will be the place that most of the sim racing happens, I've accepted that sim racers have splintered into their own preferred games for a variety of reasons, with one of the biggest reasons being the stalled development of rF2...

18. guenther

guenther Registered

more wall of text, please

19. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

I keep driving in RF2, AMS2 and Raceroom, but I rarely hear people here about Raceroom. The recent update to physics/ffb is quite good. It is different to RF2, but still nice. The track/car selection is great and the AI is also pretty decent to race against. And at EU times, there is even some online competition to be found. I do hope that RF2's AI will be improved and the online competition/ranking system becomes a success, because I still prefer the driving feel of RF2 vs AMS2 and Raceroom.

avenger82, memoNo1 and atomed like this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I don't understand the complaints about the new content release tbh. The content is of very high quality and if you don't have the money, there are still some decent quality free versions available. The Daytona version that was available throughout the last couple of years was a SRW rip, so certainly not usable for the competition system. The release of the new free version was unlucky timing but that's life I would say. There has been no M4 GT3 so far and no Ligier LMP 3 either. And the Indycar offers a very nice package with all skins and drivers wich is pretty nice in my book.