The 2022 UI Update for rFactor 2 - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 22, 2022.

1. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Great work! Do we get the edit ai button back from the old UI so that we can edit ai files and create custom grids to race offline against?

BuggaNoia and El Greco like this.
  2. TJones

TJones Registered

First a 24 hour race without any red flag interrupt, now a new UI. WTF!?!
    Dont you guys know, this sim is declared to be dead by several "experts" already? ;)

3. Capeta

Capeta Registered

This is GREAT news.
    Thanks for that.
    Hopefully it's the start of something bigger that will finally allow everybody to enjoy rF2 being developped closer to his potential, wich everybody can agree is one of the biggest out there.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Next step should be a working AI , a safety car and no more "full course yellow" and more love for thr OFFliNE players and i stop moaning abour RF2 immediately!
    Good job.Hope it goes on like this....

GertjanD, tiffarno, RoboCAT10 and 5 others like this.
  5. atomed

atomed Member

And the alleged corpse suddenly came alive, man are we quick changing impressions and opinions.

PatientRF2fan and Dady Cairo like this.
  6. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you very much to all involved in the development of this UI.
    We´ll see what happens in the future with all the changes that S397 has suffered last months but the beginning of 2022 seems promising.

Balazs Magyar, Schumi, pkelly and 4 others like this.
  7. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

It looks like a massive improvement on what we've had so far :)
    It would be nice if some of the things that we often change in json files could be incorporated too, to get the best in performance.
    Headlights, clip distances etc

And wouldnt it be nice to have something similar for the dedicated server?
    There must be plenty of leagues who use dedicated servers and know how much of a ball ache it is to set up a session with specific weather.

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Well this is good news Paul! It looks much better, nice to see in the setups page you can now see both front and rear suspension on one creen rather than only half of it as you have to scroll to see the rest in current version.

Looks like (from the video) when you click customise it goes straight to the page and shows car immediately now rather than a blank screen for 3 or 4 seconds, hopefully thats actually how it now works and not just a quick video edit cut. Will it generally be a much faster UI as well as the imporoved layout?

I did notice that in the multiplayer server list there is still no way to see what car/mod/series the server is using, i've gotta say this is very dissapointing as its very important, I don't wanna have to click on a server that is possibly using a new mod that I don't have space for as it immediately starts downloading. Paul, can I ask will this be brought in at a later date? Also if a mod starts D/Ling, currently there is no way to stop it apart from using task manager, so will this also be looked at?

In the old UI (depreciated) we had the option to change A.I. skill directly from inside the track using the skill slider and then restarting the session, this was incredibly useful as If I was trying out a car track combo with an assumed skill level and had already loaded the track, only to realsie the A.I. were way too fast or slow, I could then change the skill level from there, rather than having to relaod the track with an adjusted skill level, and with RF2's long loading times, this was a massive time saver, and just a really good feature, infact, RF2 was the only sim i've seen that feature in. Will this be coming back? I miss it alot, it was brilliant!

Also in the old UI if you joined a server with multiple cars on it, there was an option to change car without leaving the server, will this be coming back? It was really great to have when I used to run track day servers at Nords, with many different cars.

Any looks great mate, hopefully this year we will see that overhaul to the A.I. you've mentioned before, full working flags, working track temps, wind, etc. Would love to see an improved damage system, something like iracing has. Even though last year there was alot of work done on making the rain look good, i still cants race the a.i. in a session with changing weather as the A.I. just go heywire and start pitting repeatedly ever other lap.

Very iterested to see the new layout of the Competition system aswell, currently its very confusing and might tell you how many folks have signed up for an event, but you can't see who's actually in the server, so i may sign up to an event anjd then get there and there is no one actually there to race against.

Anyway, verey much looking forward to seeing and trying the new UI. Hopefully this is the start of RF2 properly ramping things up and becoming a contender in every way, still the sim with the best FFB and feel! Cheers!

Oh, P.S. a way to run a server from inside the game would go along way in terms of easily allowing casual races to start a server for friends, and without having to make a damn mod every time, just pick the cars track and go. Think this is very important for new users and if they can get used to racing online through doing that might just encourage them to do more online racing, start using the comp system, join leagues and stuff, you know, so they can easily get a taste for online racing. Again, Cheers! This certainly looks like a great first step in the right direction! Must Admit, im quite excited!

justposted, Binny, GertjanD and 6 others like this.
  9. Paulo Silva

Paulo Silva Registered

With this interface, will it be possible for it to be translated into other languages?

Feer9 and atomed like this.
  10. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I am sure that there will be some tweaking needed and suggestions made but for me, this is HUGE! I have been openly critical of the UI and to see this makes me quite happy, thank you S397!

This is a big step, keep em coming!

atomed likes this.
  11. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Looks like a great job! Thank you very much!!

12. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Please tell me it will be possible to navigate in the UI and proceed selection with the dPad and buttons on my wheel? Please!

13. Havner

Havner Registered

There was a cut, it's clearly visible. Cursor changed position :)

I like the new design I must say, but I laughed inside when I saw the same bug from the old/new UI being moved over to the new one:

[​IMG]

"Bug 13:
    FOV settings, adjustable from 9 to 100, but the value 9 I think should be represented as "Default". That's what the old UI and in-game settings say. Similar case to Bug 1."

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-and-counting-listing-detailed-reports.68017/

memoNo1 likes this.
  14. boxer

boxer Registered

Gotta say this new version looks great and intuitive.
    It appears to address everything I dislike about the current UI.
    Looking forward to the release.
    Great Job.

15. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Thanks for the nice responses so far, much appreciated and glad it seems to be setting a positive first impression :)

Regarding the various questions around different features or additions / changes it may have in future... What we can say at the moment is this initial build is broadly capturing the functionality that already exists, but with a heck of a lot of work having gone into rationalizing and improving many areas.

In terms of massive feature adds, this is something that will phased into the build over time - consider this pretty much a 'phase 1' release. We have a laundry list of things we would like to do / add / amend / improve / expand within the UI, including many of the things that are mentioned within this very thread. Which of those, how they will look in reality and at what stage they will be added are still under the planning phase - however, in order to help keep the conversation alive and set expectations and transparency, we do have a desire to put some kind of communication out with these sorts of details, as and when that is appropriate.

In short, we've put a lot of effort into this UI, we realized the previous (current) version didn't hit the mark, we've learned from our mistakes and we all very much want this to be a success. Oh, and we are all sim racers who use the simulation regularly, so trust me when I say, we certainly know of the areas where good stuff could be added - and we will most certainly work hard to make these a reality :D

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If nothing else, this should slow down the last roadmap thread that was realllllly starting to drag

PatientRF2fan and pkelly like this.
  17. Corti

Corti Registered

pkelly and Bernat like this.
  18. BuggaNoia

BuggaNoia Registered

@Paul Jeffrey : Did I saw right in the video that we now have favorites for tracks, cars, maybe opponent groups? (Question about selecting separate opponents was already ask by others here.)

2nd question: Would be there a way that AI stored was they learned in the combo Track/Cartype/Wheather, so that it can be reapplied the next time these combo is raced? (Hate to leave the AI alone in practice for about 30 minutes before each race.)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  19. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Ppl who are getting excited about this must have a bad memory or be new to RF2…

RoboCAT10 and DaREALMastaD like this.
  20. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

They have new blood in the team man... UI certainly looks better but what I'm not liking is that we are only having UI updates for January, but anyway, February will also be followed by updates to other areas. New year, new employers, new boss... Let's see how things go this time!

trichens and Mibrandt like this.