Released New Release Candidate Update - Client 7969457

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 15, 2021.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

BBS... OMG, how long!

davehenrie likes this.
  2. Havner

Havner Registered

I wouldn't say that was _that_ long ago. I'm 38 and I very well remember pre-internet times (for regular folks, not times before internet was invented obviously) and BBS'es.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Well, i went from BBS to forums 30 years ago, more or less.
    You started really soon (i'm 15 years older than you o_O)

4. Havner

Havner Registered

Probably the internet became common some time later in Poland than in other, more developed countries.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

Spain wasn't the most modern country then.
    I think that no many spanish people know what BBS were.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

We used to hack bbs systems to run a 4 player online DOOM session via dos & 2400baud modems. I forget the details, required special patch cables for the server if I remember correctly.
    Two player F15 Strike Eagle, shot down my wingman once when I thought HE was the bogie.
    Two player Grand Prix, SLIDE SHOW back then. I go back to the Magnavox Oddysey 2. (google THAT!)

lagg likes this.
  7. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

I'll kust jump in to defend AI here.

I use the AI, I've raced online before, and a lot of times I've had to abandon the race because the kids have woken up, or the wife walks in etc, and I've lost reputation or iRating or whatever.

Also, I'm not incredibly fast. In the lower order of races I spend an inordinate amount of time avoiding others who, quite frankly, didn't care if they were going to cause a collision or not.

With the AI I can configure it to be slightly faster than my pace so I can battle in the midfield, whilst knowing that they won't punt me, or won't punt me in the majority of cases.

I know, 'I should join a league', but it goes back to the previous point about having the time to commit to it.

When it works, the RF2 AI is really good, it does make you feel like you are a racing driver, even for slow people like me. All it needs is a bit of investment and it would bring many many more players to the sim.

tiffarno, svictor, RaceNut and 3 others like this.
  8. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

How to play online when the only time you have is very reduced, ultra random, can be shortened at any time and in addition when this possibly available time is beyond 10:00 PM ?

I'm talking about people who have a job, a wife and children (even worse when you have a baby and children of different ages). Even worse in VR by the way.
    Me it is my case.

Moreover, online racing does not interest me for several reasons, and offline sim has many advantages, for example (not exhaustive) :

- You choose and set the weather precisely
    - You can pause when you want [family life for example]
    - You play when you want, the time you want
    - You can record your race
    - You choose the car you really want
    - You really set the car it as you want, if you want to get rid of the driving aids you do it for example
    - You choose the track you want and the layout you want
    - You put the AIs you want [number even a lot in big tracks, type, multiclass, etc]
    - Even if the AIs are very bad you rule them as you want in terms of driving error, strength and aggressiveness
    - You really choose combos that allow you to exploit the graphics engine of rF2
    - You choose really good or original combos exactly what you want
    - You put if you wish the damage at 100% which is more realistic than what is often chosen online,......
    - AND I COULD MENTION MANY ADVANTAGES OF OFFLINE..........

What made me write this my wise is that some people want to impose the way of looking at things about online gambling that is supposedly better.

This is not the case, everyone simply finds a shoe that suits them, it must be respected.

Some online players (a great minority) are a little too pedantic.

tiffarno, RaceNut, pkelly and 8 others like this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

I want to clarify that i don't agree many things that have said in this thread (and i'm not referring to this post).
    I'm not defending online comunities vs Competition system vs offline
    But many of us tend to think that the most common is what we do.
    Do you know where can we get those data?
    Thanks.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On reading this the 3rd time, I think this doesn't mean what you thought (and I thought) it meant. I think he's saying a great minority of online players are 'a little too pedantic' (I don't think that english matches his meaning, but we probably get the gist).

It's interesting, then frustrating, then a little boring, that these dichotomies and teams are always created. Someone mentions AI, someone else says AI is pointless (basically), someone else talks about the benefits of AI, etc.

But each post belongs to the person making it, it's their opinion, so fair enough I suppose.

To return to your topic (even if it might be OT in this case), it would be difficult to measure - 95% of my time 'in' rF2 in the last few years has been modding activities, so I'd show as an active player but not online. I don't know if there's any accurate measure of online vs offline available.

lagg likes this.
  11. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you for clarifying me this, @Lazza
    Language barriers, in my case are big.
    Sorry @pilAUTO

12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I'm not 100% sure but I think that with the old build, if the launcher was open, it said that you were using rfactor,... although my doubt was if it could be used offline? The old build I think so! do you know if you are using it or not?, the new ui I have not tested if it can be played offline... but I have always used it online or connected to steam

13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

""" Great minority """ is probably mistranslated.

I mean that a tiny-tiny-tiny minority (or part) of online players say that ONLY online play is valid, which seemed a bit snobbish ("pedant") to me.

lagg likes this.
  14. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Release Candidate Update

Steam Build IDs
    Client 8040261
    Dedicated Server 8047819

- Custom controller profiles no longer save with -80% exaggerate yaw
    - Yaw override in controller profiles defaults to being disabled unless added manually
    - Official controller profiles have been updated to override this to 0% for all steering wheels, among other override changes
    - Reviewed Glare Settings to reduce excessive brightness in day, and improve headlights at night
    - Some small adjustments to Lighting Parameters, to bring warmer hues to the scene.

15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I only asked what are the objective reasons why ACC is arcade vs rF2 and AMS1...
    But OK so essentially you find all other sims disappointing because of FFB and it's behavior on the road. This is about as much unspecific and subjective as one could answer.

16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

in ACC you modify the setup and you hardly notice anything sometimes you change too much and you notice very little.... in the unspecific thing it is the little that it transmits but hey each one is each one

Likewise, if the fbb seems unspecific to you, then yourself

17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Have you compared same setup changes IRL and felt more? What exactly did you change and on which car?
    Besides In rF2 setups are often unrealistic which is also confirmed by real teams that participated in virtual LM24. From top of my head I remember drastic changes in wing angle made very little changes in grip. There are some long threads where people discuss unrealistic setups in rf2. So that makes rf2 arcade?
    And yes claim that FFB in sim A feels great and FFB in sim B feels meh is very subjective and unspecific.
    I don’t want to continue this discussion as it’s a bit off topic and no longer expect you will be able to provide evidence that ACC is arcade vs rF2 and AMS1.

Dady Cairo likes this.
  18. dylbie

dylbie Registered

The claim: "...we expect the next four weeks will be exciting ones for our players, and we can't wait to share some fruits of our labours over the coming weeks."

The reality: a couple of bug fixes for controllers and lighting.

o_O

Hoshi, Mauro, Dady Cairo and 4 others like this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

*sigh* and back we go.

pkelly and dylbie like this.
  20. pig

pig Registered

look at the bright side, you can say they started updating)