rFactor 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AUY2K, Jan 17, 2022.

1. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

Is there an RF3 in the works? It seems that RF2 is getting a lot of publicity over the last couple of years especially with the rise in virtual racing popularity. I can only hope that they are using this to their advantage to create a better up to date version of the sim.

RF2 is 12 years old now?

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is no way to justify the expenses they have incurred updating rF2 to then just drop it and move on to rF3. (add to that, the real creators of rFactor are no longer involved) The risk of asking for rF3 would be the new product being little more than a mod of rF2. You might see a few new features, but it would still be rF2 with some lipstick on.
    or
    Motorsport Games forces S397 to release a new version of rF2 called rF3, and we get a prettied up Nascar Ignition with GT3/GTE cars.

4. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

I’m hopeful that with the increased popularity + Motorsport Games they can put together an updated product.

I’m afraid iRacing will jump in and take over all the virtual racing to include the virtual Le Mans series.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  5. dav_0075

dav_0075 Registered

For several months nothing or almost nothing has happened, while generally the end of the year is conducive to many new products in order to make as many sales as possible during the Christmas period...at each post we are asked to be patient because we can't say more...in the end you have to wait years to see significant changes
    when we see the craze for simracing with events like the virtual 24 hours of le mans we need a modern alternative to iracing (2008) or even rfactor which will be 10 years old next year...we need an rfactor 3 or rfactor 2.5 so as not to start from scratch ...with the official and complete licenses wec-imsa, (+ historic group c - fia gt 1997-1999) Btcc, for the "European" public Nascar, official indy car (for the "American" audience) especially since motorsport games owns the licenses
    the FIA world rally cross, hill climbs,
    the super gt 300/500 or v8 supercars (for asian audience)
    with a new modern graphics engine optimized vr triple screens "small" pc
    dynamic weather, track evolution
    management of realistic damage, tires, suspensions
    multiplayer à la iracing / lowfuel ...+ race by level upgradable
    open to professional modders ... in short, take the strengths of each sim and put them in one .... when I see an arcade game forza horizon 5 sold 4.5 million copies worldwide in 24 hours ... I say to myself shit it is not possible! the market is there...stop making unfinished games full of bugs!

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

10 years, from the initial public release.

I wouldn't worry. iRacing is 14 years old.

juanchioooo likes this.
  7. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

LOL! The NASCAR game is a complete fail.

8. Filip

Filip Registered

You forgot:
    - F1 cars full seasons from 1966 to 2022
    - WRC from 1980 to 2021
    - McLaren 720S
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    Audi R8
    Porsche 911 GT2 RS
    Lamborghini Huracan EVO
    Ford GT
    Nissan GT-R
    Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
    Honda NSX
    Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro
    - at least 10 iconic road cars
    - new updated sounds, graphics, tires and physics for all cars
    - cure for cancer, world peace, climate change reversal, pandemic end, to finally find the aliens, conquer the Mars, elixir of life, everybody to be happy, no wars and injustice

9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

rF2 is just a dying animal, very poorly kept alive by its doctor.

That's why I stop thinking now that rF2 is going to be a great simulation (very popular or not very popular but meeting the criteria I'm looking for for a simulation).

By far the most likely is to think that rF2 will remain a dying animal under infusions.

In the worst case, which is quite probable, is that rF2 dies completely or almost, say.

What now seems very unlikely to me is that rF2 will improve fast enough, efficiently and in the areas that must be priorities (in my opinion) to be a good stallion who wins races (whether he is a great niche simulation, or that it approaches major games with strong commercial potential).

So I no longer expect anything from the publisher, a nice surprise is now highly unlikely.

And moreover, if the editor remains S397, it is better to try to improve strongly and intelligently (choose the right priorities...) rF2 rather than make an rF3 in my opinion.

Another hope :
    The arrival of new competitors on the market (ACC2 in 2022 would have been cool, although we don't know how the physics engine will be).

In short, hope is over.
    rF2 has disappointed me too much. I use it as a he is, that is to say with these innumerable faults, hoping for a miracle (which probably won't happen), or the release of another better simulation soon from another publisher.

kados and Anto870 like this.
  10. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

Let's put it this way: rF2 is now only good for 'amateur' competitions, if you want something more serious you must necessarily throw on iRacing. If they don't do something quickly to improve the situation, it is inevitable that they will lose even more users than they already have. It is useless to do 2-3 special events a year if then for all the remaining time over 12 months, you do not combine anything to improve the situation. And there are also people who turn against me when I say that this is a dying sim, how can you deny something that is in front of everyone ???

11. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

It's more correct to say that iRacing and rFactor 2 are "still under development". Therefore, it is more important how many updates have been made since the public release.

atomed likes this.
  12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

To be really honest, it's been a "dying sim" since the takeover by S397 and maybe even before, and rF2 has never stopped being one.

They just managed to keep it from totally not dying.

And the progress of this sim is tiny compared to the progress of other sims, which is why this progress is not really progress.

For example the physics engine is less impressive in 2022 than it was in 2016, because the other sims have improved a lot.

It's a dying animal and on a drip I told you. But maybe S397 will give him a miracle potion.

13. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Registered

there are zero excuses for the fact that much smaller dev teams like sector3 or reiza manage to drop constant and substantial updates and s397 can't. in the last months, even the 3 guys behind LFS updated the sim quite a lot, much more than s397 did in the last couple of years.

dylbie, Mauro and Anto870 like this.
  14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

if there are other better simulators, according to you, what are you doing wasting your time here?... go and spend your money with what you like the most!!! it is absurd to waste time and money on something dying for you and for your opinion;)

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can someone please start a new thread so we can all read all the same opinions, again? Like the devs, I tend to forget how everyone feels after about 10 mins so I need constant reminding.

"rF2 is dying, if something doesn't happen soon no one will be playing it" = I'm not getting the enjoyment I used to get out of rF2, it hasn't gone where I hope, I'll soon be concentrating elsewhere

"rF2 isn't dead, people are still playing it!" = I'm still playing rF2, and know a number of people who are and enjoy it

rF2 has some things it does quite well, and a whole heap of things it doesn't do well. If people are able to use it for their purposes and it's their best option (or, they already own it and see no reason to try elsewhere) - well, good on them. If other people are seeing better other options and move to those, or still try a number of options but spend most time elsewhere, good on them.

We aren't tattooed (I hope) with our game of choice, we aren't at war with other games or their supporters, every day we wake up is another day to choose to do what we enjoy.

One thing that has remained absolutely clear for ALL of ISI's tenure and now S397, is that very little of the opinions stated on this forum have an impact on development. None of us are stakeholders in the game or company, we don't actually have a say in what happens, and we don't have all the facts to properly inform a plan for its ongoing survival and development. Maybe it makes us feel better to quarrel about a whole heap of different topics, but it's of little consequence.

atomed, ThomasJohansen, tjc and 5 others like this.
  16. vava74

vava74 Registered

Be careful with what you wish for as "starting from scratch" often breaks the mold.
    The age of a sim has no bearing on its quality.
    rF2 remains an incredibly versatile platform to produce simulated racing.
    Does it have shortcomings? Sure, but all sims have them. ALL.
    What rFactor 2 really needs is to BOOT every time you try, for people to be able to get into servers when they want to and for the UI to be substantially more user friendly.
    Then you have a laundry list of tweaks, some larger than others (some very important to rebuild rF2's reputation as a sim), but ALL of them requiring resources.
    In my opinion, rFactor 2 has not generated over the years enough income to build a team large and strong enough to address that list of changes needed, so it has been surviving.
    Under MSG there is a glimpse of hope that rFactor 2 will remain as the "core simulation" (and a test lab) from which knowledge can be taken to produce the mass oriented games that have the potential to bring real cash.
    NASCAR 21 Ignition tells us that this may be very difficult to implement, and it's complete failure was - I believe - a huge blow.
    Fortunately, the Virtual 24H of LeMans were a success and a life line remains "there".

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

At this point it doesn't make any sense to talk about rF3 from my POV. First of all the franchize name is damaged right from the start due to the poor desicions made by ISI in first place and in recent years by S397. What people, including the dev team need to understand is, that there is a great foundation that needs a bit of polishing to smooth those rough edges. The UI is the perfect example - there are glimpses of excellence within the new technology but it hasn't been finished. Some areas work great, some don't. Same goes for the CS system integration and the offline part of the sim. Fix those things and people will have a better time and it'll be easier to get started with the sim. It doesn't take a new game and name to make rF a great product. iRacing is showing that it is possible to be a strong player with a well aging product. Once the fundamentals are there you can start updating the content, bring new tracks and cars and add new tech for the cars, like manual tranmissions or hybrid systems. After that you could start adding new weather technology and work on the particle system. There clearly is a market for hardcore simulations, but the quality needs to be there.

avenger82 and vava74 like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

SCGT>F1 Challenge(1999-2002)>GTR>rF1>GTR2>RACE>rF2. Just a partial list(&probably slightly out of order) of the evolution of the ISI based racing sim code. Not one of those after SCGT started from a completely clean new code base. Each release from the late nineties thru today was a series of sims built by adding code to the original base. Even rF2, with much of it's revolutionary physics, still depended upon the SCGT bones.

So NOW folks want to start completely over? With what software base and with whom?

RaceNut and vava74 like this.
  19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

S397 got a lot of feedback from Michelin I think after first virtual LM race e.g. that tires wear way too fast. AFAIK they didn’t do anything about it.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Well, you have done nothing more than corroborate what others say... and I already said in his day, that the CEO will do what he wants, and not what people ask.... As for your comment AMEN