Need help with ai racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GertjanD, Jan 7, 2022.

1. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

In the run up to the virtual Le Mans I would like to do an ai race. How can you ensure that all participating opponents (lmp1, 2, gte eg) use the low downforce trim/setup? Also if you want to include mods such as the recent LMP1 cars. Thanks in advance!

2. Pales

Pales Registered

I'm terribly sorry to break it you but the AI is fundamentally flawed, and Leman in particular is an excellent track choice for illustrating that in all it's glory.

- The AI cannot slip stream (you will regularly to see faster cars getting stuck behind slower cars in long straights (e.g. LMP1 being stuck behind GT3)) so the idea of applying packages to each car is pointless.

- If an AI car intends to pit it cannot overtake other cars, even if they're a much faster class. The logic simply does not allow for it. This means that on tracks like Leman, you will have an LMP1 stuck behind a GT3 for the entire duration of the lap until they reach the pit lane)

- Obviously refuelling and tyre wear results in the car pitting and inlap behaviour where they cannot overtake, so incredibly immersion breaking in itself.

Nieubermesch and GertjanD like this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Choose the track, then choose your car. Customize your car by choosing the Le Mans option. Then click the Force Setup box.
    I do not know if that will affect the 3rd party cars or not. I think the guys who made the Ginetta & Enso also included Le Mans specific options so they might work.

GertjanD likes this.
  4. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

thanks! But will this force it for all cars, eg if I use the Ferrari GTE, will it also apply it to the Aston Martin and BMW?

5. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

I agree these are immersion breaking points but I can live with them for now, hopefully they will be fixed at some point. Btw are there any games that have ai slipstreaming? Perhaps the Codemaster F1 games?

6. Pales

Pales Registered

iRacing AI. I would recommend giving this a go, you won't be disappointed :)

7. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Are you sure AI slipstream doesnt exist? I did a F1 1991 AI race and at the strait AI went fast when they were behind other cars.

8. Pales

Pales Registered

Yes, if you load up Lemans or a track with long straights and spectate two cars battling it out, the car behind will slipstream towards the car in front but then periodically break every 0.2ms rather than pull out and go for the overtake.

It is well documented and the developers are also well aware of the issue. They just haven't fixed it. An example below:

9. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

The ai is indeed great in that game. Probably the best there is. However I am still conflicted whether I should pay a subscription fee for a game that I would play mostly offline and I will never own myself.

10. Pales

Pales Registered

I agree with you. It's a lot of money. I've subscribed on the odd occasion to scratch my itch but I'm waiting until LMP1/GTE AI is released alongside Leman as a track. It'll be the first time I can actually have a proper endurance race where there are no flaws.

GertjanD likes this.
  11. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

back to my original question

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Off-topic somewhat, but no one ever owns a game. If rF2 stopped development and then some windows/hardware change stopped it working, you lose the game (community developments aside, but if the core timing were what broke it would seem unlikely).

iRacing isn't cheap, and I never progressed past a trial myself for that reason, but you have to consider its ongoing use and cost over time versus other options, rather than see it as owned or not.

GertjanD likes this.
  13. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

bump, to see if anyone can get me to properly setup AI endurance races :)

14. SharD

SharD Registered

You can increase the AI mistakes some, then this no longer happens.

GertjanD likes this.
  15. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Sorry my original question was as follows: In the run up to the virtual Le Mans I would like to do an ai race. How can you ensure that all participating opponents (lmp1, 2, gte eg) use the low downforce trim/setup? Also if you want to include mods such as the recent LMP1 cars. Thanks in advance!

16. Pales

Pales Registered

That's not quite correct though, is it? Particularly on long straights which is where this issue lies. For curved roads it's not really an issue.

17. Pales

Pales Registered

You're heavily limited as a result of the new UI. Options that were previous available to make such modifications are no longer accessible (at least they weren't when I last launched the game but this was over a year ago now but given the neglect for offline, I imagine they're still unavailable). Better to leave it as default but previously it could be done within the garage.

GertjanD likes this.
  18. SharD

SharD Registered

I've tested it. Increasing it makes the AI more "racey". I had a mod in which the cars didn't overtake backmarkers, but when I increased it, they did. And they did not crash that often.

You can also look into the .aiw file, but that can only be done with non-official tracks.

19. atomed

atomed Member

You can also lower the AI draft stickyness in the AIW to make them more inclined to abandon the slipstream and go for an overtake. Make the AI limiter go higher so their performance is more balanced. This makes the racing closer.
    AI mistakes at 0.1 usually is enough.
    Slow when pushed also is normally set to 1 which makes them slow down a little bit too much under pressure or when you´re trying to overtake them, I think 0.7 or 0.8 could work in LeMans.

20. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

AIW updates could also be done for official tracks

atomed likes this.