Released New Release Candidate Update - Client 7969457

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

God post,not much more to say.But i think Studio 397 doesn't listen anyway,while living on an island......blue turns to grey.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  2. Pales

Pales Registered

Indeed. However, finances play a big role in this, and I can't imagine they can continue like this forever. If you look at Race Department, Reddit, GT Planet and all of the various other communities revolving around rF2, they're largely negative towards the game now due to neglect. Even this very thread is overwhelmingly negative because rFactor has been in such a poor direction for years now. I suspect Studio 397 have realised that themselves with the recent Discord update.

We will have to see what they do next.

Travis, Dady Cairo and Nieubermesch like this.
  3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

An update is planned... Hope it's what most of us want and much more ;).

Travis, lagg, memoNo1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Havner

Havner Registered

Game update or development status update? Cause I've had enough words. After unfulfilled promises from @Paul Jeffrey from last year I don't believe a word they say. Only actions can make a difference now.

5. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, think both, but I'm in the same boat when it comes to S397.

6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Well, I eliminated the AI directly, it is useless

7. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I haven't started rF2 for good 2 months.
    Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't uninstall it.
    It is infinitely sad what is made of the existing potential.
    Will S397 close soon?
    I do not know it.
    Nothing happens ..

Dady Cairo likes this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

what I mean is that I do not use AI, studio 397 should not even waste time on it, from me they can eliminate it

9. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Jokin' ?
    They AI was fine till 2018.
    Without AI races they are already eleminated,if this is the right word.

10. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I don't have the numbers, but I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of rF2 players are either exclusively offline players (like me) or those who predominantly use rF2 offline.

If so, and I think it is, giving gigantic priority to online (with disastrous success), TO THE TOTAL DEPOSIT of offline, is a huge mistake.

11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

You are very wrong, most of the players sometimes spend weeks and you do not even go through the forum
    and the vast majority play in leagues

Art_Pereira likes this.
  12. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

The offline game is perfectly fine once you.....

Move a track into dev mode plus a few cars for AIW (not easy for most)
    Create your own AIW fast block left right pits path (not easy for most) make sure you back up! lol
    AIW corridors and alter the GBD for full course yellows (possible but really not easy)
    Test everything you just did and tweak it (time consuming and may require a redo of AIW)
    Create your own real road
    Be satisfied with simple races with 1 or 2 pit stops (cause you may have to restart or tweak more)
    Simulate single class / dry day / at 12 noon (Avoid the issues with multi class, wet weather, night and shadow issues)

The physics must obviously have some appeal to go through all of this and it will only take you a month to figure it all out.

Once the significant new update is released we will all be in to try it regardless.

13. green serpent

green serpent Registered

My speculation as to what is happening at S397 (just a bit of a guess/wish really).

S397 are working hard on all aspects of the game engine. AI, tyres, damage, wet weather... pretty much everything. They are making progress, and are busting to tell the community what they are working on, but they can't say anything because the work is being bankrolled by Motorsport Games and they are under a non disclosure agreement... because the development is actually for the new BTCC game.

The BTCC game is a huge deal and the stakes are high. It's priority number one that that the game is reviewed favorably and is a commercial success. The engine needs a lot of polish to be up to the task, and so this is where most of the resources are going for now, with the idea to put the changes into rF2 sometime down the track.

This is pure speculation and based on nothing but an over active imagination!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    pkelly and GertjanD like this.
  14. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Having Grand Prix Legends at hand, all this rant is a waste of time. ;)

15. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I've been reading a few of the posts in this thread and it seems there is a lot moaning about the AI. I know it's not perfect and the way people have been talking in this thread it's as if the AI in other games is perfect and it's not. I have just done a 30min race in ACC at Brands Hatch with 30 AI a mixture of GT3 and GT4 cars after about 9-10 laps I was lying in third place and started catching the GT4 cars, I over took few and the next thing I knew I was in the lead. I finished the race 68-seconds ahead of second place, what happened was after the tenth lap all the AI were lapping 10-12 seconds slower than at the beginning of the race and then for the rest of the race. I have noticed in the past that the timings in ACC can be a bit strange at times. AMS2 has a lot of rubber banding with the AI and very inconstant with various cars. I generally find I have a lot more consistent races against the AI with RF2 than with the other games although I have had good races in the other games but not so often. Yes, I would like the AI to be improved in RF2. Sorry if this is a bit long.

16. Pales

Pales Registered

Either you have misinterpreted or misread but the significance of my post was to highlight long-standing issues with the AI. Some of which were introduced as a result of Studio 397.

All I would ask is that you think about this for a few seconds. The majority of the player base play exclusively offline, yet that very same department has been completely neglected by Studio 397 for over 5 years. Not only do you have less features now (as a result of the lack of accessibility provided by the UI) but they’ve technically regressed in behaviour over the years due to the various issues they’ve caused but not bothered to fix. How is that sustainable? It’s not, which is why the player base is becoming increasingly unhappy. I’ve seen a huge shift in attitude over the past year or two. Several senior community members (who were previously very reluctant on talking out) now expressing disappointment about the direction of the game.

These core, fundamental issues have to be addressed this year. It’s been far too long. Studio 397 have a very good foundation to work from. The AI awareness and race craft is still one of the best in the business but until they rectify the issue with slip streaming, inlap pit logic, and the issues relating to flags and wet weather, it makes no sense whatsoever to play rF2.

And I quite agree with you, no other game is perfect but you could argue that they’re at least trying. I have played all of these extensively but realistically, rF2 and iRacing are still leaders when it comes to the race craft logic and awareness. The remaining sims are pretty lifeless and dull.

rFactor 2 has unimaginable levels of potential but there is simply no compelling argument that will allow me to justify spending my hard earned money on this game because of the fundamental flaws that are continuously ignored year on year.

And yes, people may see me as being overly negative or always negative in the sense that whenever I post, it is not the most encouraging but we have to be realistic here. rF2 is no longer in good light, it’s overall reception throughout the various communities is pretty poor now. Some credible changes need to be made.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That sounds a lot like the Aero Damage suffered by AI in GTR2. (rf1 based) Essentially, the AI cars would bump against each other and incur small amounts of damage, but that damage added to overall drag and that slowed the AI cars down the longer they raced. Saving and loading reset the damage and the AI returned to their previous speeds. However, without a save function, ACC can't recover the lost pace.

Emery and PatientRF2fan like this.
  18. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I don't really agree with that because it was every AI car that slowed by 10-12 seconds. Also it wasn't a gradual slow down it was all in one lap and continued at that speed to the end of the race.

19. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

If we are on the subject of AI, I believe iracing and raceroom are currently the best of the sims in this regard. Codemasters ai also keeps getting better I believe, but I do not play that game often. Would be really great if more development funds would be directed to the single player experience. We are fortunately to have a few guys here that make great AIW for tracks. That really improves the experience already.

Furthermore what would be great for the SP experience is to have a user friendly ingame option to create custom championships.

avenger82 likes this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

People tend to think that the thruth is what they think or they know.
    I only know online players. This doesn't mean that vast mayority of players are online players.
    Do anyone know where to get real numbers?

GT_ONE and Havner like this.