AMS2 and Reiza: A serious contender to RF2/S397

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Nieubermesch, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

After their last magic on madness engine with differentials and having felt a huge improvement on the bounciness of suspensions that now feel pretty freaking good, I'm starting to feel rF2 might be left behind for me if S397 doesn't turn things around.

What are your thoughts on the current state of AMS2?!

Dady Cairo likes this.
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Probably not what you want to hear but, dunno, don’t care.

PS. Where’s the new tyres you’re fixing, thought it would be done by now :D :p

3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Go try it ;)

4. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

I think that any sim has his own value, best part, etc... all of them have its space in the market and I don't see one as a treat for another. AMS2 is the best for historic native content, regional content and some other things, but I think it still loose a little in physics for rF2, for example.
    ACC is limited in tracks and cars...
    AC is not for me, I don't know why...
    F1 is great on the weekend simulation but not good in physics...
    etc.

5. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Bought it last night, since it was on sale, and want to try of their physics, but dont know when I'll actually test it, quite satisfied with rf2. I tried the ams2 demo but couldnt get much feeling of how it was. The demo really had problems, recognize steering wheel and button boxes etc.

Hope S397 releases some new DLC stuff soon so we can send some more "support" to the game we love :)
    I think updating the official content with the new tire model from M4 and Fpro would make a lot of people to come back and give rf2 a second chance. (But please fix multiplayer list so you dont try to join games you dont have content to. Have given up so many times trying to find a casual mp server, because those I tried to join had some modified content what wouldnt install.)

Nieubermesch and atomed like this.
  6. atomed

atomed Member

Problem with rF2 is once you get the physics, it ruins every other game. I say game because then they look like that, miniature sims, at least in the most important feature for me, driving feel. I had high hopes with AMS2 because I like trying different stuff, but that 10% physics it lacks compared with rF2 makes it a lesser one in my opinion.

7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

AMS2 has been a complete disappointment .... AC and ACC more of the same a disappointment
    rubbish

8. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Im probably leave Rfactor 2 modding also,after instaling CSP and Sol in AC the sim is becoming my favourit in terms of features,also the FFB in CSP is great,not at rFactor 2 level,but very near,lets see what this new year bring to us modders,i just want to be able of modding smoke,sparks,dirt clouds etc etc etc.....stuf that are encryped for no reason at all....is better stop modding suport if everyhing is encrypted.

9. atomed

atomed Member

GertjanD and vava74 like this.
  10. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I bought it in one of the recent Steam sales, along with the USA Pack for the CART cars and Cleveland.

I have to say, its an extremely mixed bag.

From the vehicle dynamics perspective, I had a hard time dialling in FFB in a decent way. As a result, some cars feel OK and others most definitely do not. They are also constantly releasing patches to the cars, so that one week they'll be fine, the next crap again. The last 1.3.2.0 release, the GT4s that had been OK suddenly went bad again, especially the Ginetta, where you can now hoon that around the track in Mr Drift style and the tires still don't heat up into the green. The CART cars have been a disappointment to be honest. My main complaint - you can hold the revs to 3/4 ont he clutch, dump it, and you get almost no wheel spin when that 950hp hits the tires. This happens in pretty much any car, with auto clutch in any state (on, off) and so I think its a fundamental problem with the tires or drivetrain. Without enough revs, you can stall the car (even with 1/2 revs, it'll do it) but on no car have I ever got wheelspin. If its that far off with this, I have no confidence in other aspects. The tires feel floppy as hell when cold and stiffen up a bit when warm, but I cannot get them into red despite utterly ludicrous driving. The only cars that feel even adjacent to right are the Brazillian Stock Cars, which feel amazingly close to those from AMS1, and the V8SC at Adelaide and VIR. But the GT3s, GT4s that should be bread-and-butter good since every other sim has them, are notably bad.

As regards the rest of the package, the tracks are well modelled for the most part, but several of the cars look like they are made of paper. I think this is done to cut down on the polys. The graphics are sometimes nice but there's still all the problems PC2 had with reflections and shadows interaction, especially at distance and when LODs change. You can drive in the rain and have ludicrous dark shadows under the car that are in front of rain drops, while the rest of the car is in spray. At least the spray is white and not gray like it is on rF2.

The UI has bugs galore, especially using the mouse to make changes in the garage, which works about 1 in 4 times. It lacks all sorts of reports and data (like, whats my best laptime on a given car/track combo and weather condition?) and the replay system is pathetic just like it was in PC2. Haven't tried the multiplayer. If there's a way to have other AI on track with you in just a practice session, I can't see how to do so.

In summary, it can sometimes be decent in the driving experience, it has a big selection of cars but most are crappy fantasy ones, a decent selection of tracks with many unusual ones, and a poor UI and general lack of completion. A major work-in-progress.

11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

AHAHAHAHA.
    That's the only one comment it deserves.
    Serious ?
    AHAHAHAAHAH.

12. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I must say I tried some of the best cars by accident and then some others are pretty filled with flaws...

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Reiza took a major step in their December announcement:

"A final bonus AI development is that it will now be possible to have DLC cars as AI opponents even if you don´t own the content."

Hazi and Seven Smiles like this.
  14. Godwind Racing

Godwind Racing Registered

I always said this and will say this again - modding was what made AMS1 and got Reiza to where they are, not some racing series that isn't much watched outside Brazil (this comment did **** a lot of people off on RD, including those at Reiza) - one thing that missed their potential 100% with AMS1 was their lack of DX11, regardless of graphics which would've made the most out of their engine and gave what some of us wanted, 100+ cars on track at once without it causing the game to crash

Will AMS2 be a serious contender? Possibly commercially but one thing rF2 has what AMS2 hasn't is modding

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    atomed, ling and Mauro like this.
  15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Regarding mods, I'm not too fond of most rF2 car mods. Too many remain unfinished or suffer from poor audio quality, ffb issues or other. There are a few exceptions but, on the track front there are some good mods for rF2. I'm not sure I would feel differently with AMS2 mods but, I may give some a try at some point, if they get very good reviews.

rF2 physics / tires / ffb represent the standard in Racing-sims to me. It's going to be hard for other titles to match or surpass. Recent updates to rF2 are positively supporting that trend. The new sound engine helps a lot with immersion too. Other QoL improvements need to continue but, rF2 has made great progress recently, imo.

AMS2 certainly has the advanced physics and tire model to provide great driving dynamics but, car handling (in some cases) still suffers from some odd behaviors that break immersion for me. Rear tire lateral grip issues remain in some cars and tend to make some of the cars feel as though they share too many of the same traits / faults. Lateral grip loss under very light acceleration seems very extreme with some cars. Transition during accel / off-throttle unbalance the car too much in quite a few cases but, the visceral sense of driving on the edge is still hard to find in AMS2 (compared to rF2).

Hopefully, Reiza can sort things out over time but, even little handling quirks can be magnified when driving in VR. VR has a way of exposing certain handling aspects as though the experience is being viewed through a magnifying lens. AMS2 currently has great potential for providing superb VR but, some odd handling issues can really ruin the immersion factor.

I do like many things about AMS2. The diverse or uncommon content are interesting and challenging. The weather options are impressive. The graphics are great with good performance, overall. The ffb options are vast and very immersive. The physics and tires have potential to be top notch (in theory). The sounds are generally good but, inconsistent at present and the tire sounds are perhaps, most in need of improvement.

The motion & tactile effects work really well in AMS2 although, not a lot related to drive-train modeling so far. PC2 / AMS2 / iRacing provide the best overall motion & tactile experience with my rig but, only iRacing provides what I consider the "Full" experience, with dynamic drive-train modeling. RaceRoom does drive-train modeling as well but, lacks other more common effects related to tire and surface details.

16. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I have just done a very cool Nordschleife race, no poping texture, no shadows issue, AI is very good, there are constant battles even AI vs AI, no train, with a special custom FFB it's very detailed.
    And I have 120fps constant at ultra with triple 1440p with any condition.
    The cons are the cars don't respond fast with input, they feel all heavy (I will try to modify the custom FFB to minize this feeling), probably the physics are not the best, but it's a far better experience for offline races compared to rF2.

Edit : i have succeed to modifiy the custom FFB for my taste, the cars feel more responsive

edit 2 ; OMG I have made a new race with GTE I have pissed in my pants, so intense, so cool, what a pleasure ! Can't wait for Le mans mod for a good race with AI

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

ok the hype is gone, when I replay with rF2 I know why I didnt play with AMS 2, it feels arcade, omg:)

18. Travis

Travis Registered

19. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Tbh, I still have the feeling that they are trying to do too many things at once. I haven't tried the latest update, but the update before when they released The historic Nurburgring was a sh*tshow. The AI at that track didn't work at all. The cars in general are all over the place. When I tried the Polo for example, a car that I can relate to as I drive it in real life, it was complete rubbish. Let's see how it goes with the next update once they have completed all cars for 1.5, but as with the previous updates that claimed to be a gamechanger, I am carefully optimistic.

atomed likes this.