VR in Windowed mode - perspective issues, captured focus etc…

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MileSeven, Jan 3, 2022.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

OK, I’ve been having occasional problems with VR using a Rift CV1 and don’t know what to try next.

The really-short version is that sometimes when I context-switch away from the rf2 client and then back in again, when I enter the car to drive, the visual perspective etc. is distorted - it actually looks a bit like the view you get in replay mode with the cockpit camera rather than ‘true vr’ and makes spacial awareness etc. ‘interesting’…

Background: My rig runs triple 1920x1080 monitors from a 2080Ti. I’ve restarted using a CV1 and to minimise resource usage, I run rf2 in Windowed mode with the headset mirrored at a resolution of 1920x1080. I run using the native Oculus app - not launched via SteamVR and currently not with the Oculus Tray Tool etc.

My first issue is that rf2 hogs my centre screen and it’s not possible to access any windows, dialogues etc. that pop up behind it. Not exactly what I expect from a Windowed application… Can’t be minimised etc. Are there any windows shortcuts etc. that can help here?

The second issue is that the rf2 client can ‘capture’ the mouse focus - which I guess is ok if I alt-tab to the client but there appears to be some further interactions where this becomes really problematic… Although the two side screens show what remains of my desktop, the mouse can’t traverse beyond the centre rf2 headset mirror…

Now, I also administer a Dedi server via Windows Remote Desktop. During race evenings, I need to context switch to the RD window after each race to change sessions, set the grid etc. Sometimes when I do the outbound switch, the rf2 ‘Watch’ window goes into free-look mode - so spins crazily around as I use the mouse elsewhere in Windows. (Note that the Watch window does not normally free-look).

If this happens then when I try to switch back in to the rf2 client, the free-look remains active, the mouse cursor is not visible in the client (Delete usually restores it), but the biggest issue is that I know that when I click Drive, my VR perspective will be ruined and it will feel a bit like I’ve got a wider FOV or something…

The only way to fix this is to try to finish the race and then restart the rf2 client before the next race starts. I generally do not need to restart anything else (Oculus client app for instance) and everything will work as designed for a random number of races before the whole free-look/focus-capture/whatever thing happens again…

Again, I’m normal use, the VR I’m the rf2 client is completely reliable - even if I switch context to fire up Motec, for instance.

Any helpful ideas?

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

minimize with Windows key + D

3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

if moving the mouse moves the camera, deactivate the free camera with the U key

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks Juanchioo - WinD looks promising - will try ‘U’ on Wednesday, our next race night.

juanchioooo likes this.
  5. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

I very occasionally experience the same, I press Drive and the view is a flat screen (like Steam's theatre mode) rather than true VR, but if I press Esc and Drive again it's always gone to true VR mode. As I said, this happens very rarely.

I have a two screen setup, so you might not be able to do this unless you can see the task bar, but if you press shift and right-click the application's icon in the task bar, there is usually (but not for all applications, which is annoying) a Move option in the context menu. Select this and use the cursor keys to move the application from behind rF2. Sometimes when rF2 is taking ages to load, there's been an error dialogue hidden behind the main screen, and if you use this method you can move it so you can see the error.

You can also use Alt-Tab to switch mouse focus to another application.

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks - yeah, the lack of a consistent ‘move’ option.

I think the most interesting observation is ‘like Steams Theatre Mode’… Although SteamVR isn’t launching in the in-your-face way it used to, I think it maybe could be the culprit… The problem I have is that there is insufficient time for me to exit and re-enter the race when it happens - and I only ever seem to experience it when context switching with the remote desktop app. The Win-D key combo might alleviate that though - I’ll find out tomorrow!

7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

When you have minimized for a while, and you return to the rfctor when you go out on the track, sometimes it looks like cinema mode, when this happens you escape it and you go back out and virtual reality looks good again. It is very important to have the rfctor in the graphic launcher windowed mode

8. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

I did some practice this evening, and I paid more attention to what happens when I press Drive, and I always get a second or so of Theatre Mode before it snaps into VR, so I guess when it goes wrong it just never makes the transition.

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

So we did four or five races back to back tonight and I Win-D'd to desktop before context-switching to the Remote Desktop each time. Also U'd whenever I saw the monitor video window go into free look.

No problems tonight - worked perfectly. However, it should also be noted that (as a result of a thread in the Bugs section) I've also excluded my Logs and Userdata folders from my anti virus programme. This appears to have solved prolonged waits when switching between sessions and exiting the race entirely.

So no conclusive fix - but overall the client and VR seem to be working much more smoothly for me now. Thanks all.

lagg, juanchioooo and atomed like this.