rFactor 1 engine wear/damage.

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Johnny Speed, Nov 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

I know this is the rF2 forum, but I am hoping some of you guys that came from rF1 may have some insight.

I have a couple mods (HistorX, and F1 1965) that have engine wear when you miss a shift, or over rev the car.
    It shows up on the GID Hub overlay, the engine health goes from 100% to maybe 97% when you over rev, miss a shift or shift gears without letting up on the gas pedal. Do it too much and the engine blows. Great fun!

I also have another mod, Vintage Formula Vee where this does NOT happen. I can plant my foot on the gas pedal in neutral and the engine wear stays at a solid 100% all the time.

I would like to implement the engine wear from the other mods into the Formula Vee mod and have had no luck.

I have tried editing the damage.ini and the engine.ini files using parameters from the HistorX mod, but nothing
    is working. I must be doing something wrong or missing something stupid. Or maybe it can't be done? It's rFactor though, there must be a way! Right?

Can anyone help me out, please? This is driving me cRaZy...I have spent the last two days screwing around with files and searching the internet and have come up empty.

Any help or insight is much appreceated. Thanks.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is your lifetimeRPM threshold below your redline (max) RPM? If not, you'll have to overrev while downshifting or you'll get no wear.

If it is, but it's not doing anything/enough, check the second parameter - if it's too large you'll need to get waaaaay over the threshold RPM to do any significant damage.

Also bear in mind the lifetimeoiltemp - if that is very high, or the range is very small, you can end up with so little wear on the oil temp side that you don't notice medium amounts of RPM wear.

(these parameters haven't changed in rF2, by the way)

Johnny Speed likes this.
  3. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

These are the settings in the engine.ini --

RevLimitRange= (7750, 0, 1)
    RevLimitSetting= 6000
    LifeTimeEngineRpm= (8600, 180)
    LifeTimeOilTemp= (104.4, 2.5000)
    LifeTimeAvg= 15000
    LifeTimeVar= 8500

The car itself redlines at 6500 rpm according to the tachometer while driving. What do I change?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

LifeTimeEngineRpm= (8600, 180) means that you'll have no RPM damage until you hit 8600RPM. That would be quite a downshift overrev, and would be impossible to hit while revving in neutral.

Now, those other parameters....

RevLimitRange has a single value, (that's the 1), and that's 7750 rpm. The 'Setting' is only to pick which value is default - you have a single setting which is 0.

This is confusing, so let me give an example.

You could have RevLimitRange=(7500,100,3)

This means 3 values, base of 7500, step size of 100. So:

Then, RevLimitSetting says which of those values is default, and the first option in the list is 0. (so 0, 1, 2).

Therefore RevLimitSetting=1 would give you a default rev limit of 7600. The game will ignore the value you have there now (6000) and just use the highest available option, which is 0 (7750 rpm).

So from reading your current parameters, if the engine is able to rev that high it should be hitting the limiter at 7750.

Now we're back to the engine itself. Can it rev that high in neutral? If not, you should adjust the limit or just treat it as a soft limit. Either way your LifeTimeEngineRPM will need to come down, maybe 7200 or something, and then make its range (the second value) maybe more like 300 for now. Depends how many revs it can do and whether you want the lifetime to come down appreciably with normal (hard) driving, or reserve damage for bad downshifts and extreme revving.

Johnny Speed likes this.
  5. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Ok, I changed the LifeTimeEngineRPM to (6600, 180) and indeed I now get engine wear while flooring the accelerator pedal in neutral! What is the "180" in that value? What does the "180" do ?

Thank you @Lazza for your help. You are a genius. ( at least very smart, anyway..lol )

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can't give you any specific calculations as I can't remember how it's put together, but roughly if you're right on the lifetimeRPM and right on the lifetimeOilTemp, you'll get 1s of engine (lifetime) wear every second.

Those two things form part of a single calculation, so effectively half a second of wear each per second, when you're right on the threshold values. (I'm sure there's a third thing I'm forgetting right now... but let's plough on regardless)

That second value defines the range where damage doubles. So let's say you have your 0.5s/s of wear on the RPM side at 6600, then you rev the engine to 6780 (6600 + 180). Now you'll be getting 1.0s/s of RPM wear. Now rev higher to 6960 (6780 + 180), and you'll be getting 2.0s/s of RPM wear. So for each multiple of that range you exceed the limit by, you'll double the applicable wear rate. Having a small value there will therefore greatly increase the wear as your revs get higher and higher.

Oiltemp works the same, and they both also reduce wear below the threshold by the same factor. (so if you're a 'range' below the threshold, your lifetime damage is halved)

It can be harder to think about than to actually just jump in and test some values until you get it doing what you want :p

lordpantsington and Johnny Speed like this.
  7. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

I see the light! You have explained more in the last hour (that made sense) than any info I have found asking google. Thank you sir.

davehenrie and PatientRF2fan like this.
  8. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Ok, been experimenting and I think I found the sweet spot for the Vintage Vee's.
    I have the RevLimitSetting=6000
    and LifeTimeEngineRPM=(6045, 80)

and it is MUCH better than it was before. The cars are old, can't keep them floored ALL the time..lol.
    Makes racing so much more fun in these little beasts.
    Now, I will have to dig into the other settings, like oil life and all that stuff....tomorrow. Had to many beers now and I may forget what
    I was doing...lol. Good thing it's documented here. Thanks again @Lazza .

Emery and Lazza like this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

I don't know if you know it already, but in the DevMode, you can watch the Engine Lifetime, how it changes.
    Press Ctrl+D 2 Times and then Ctrl+K and it appears on the Bottom of the Screen.
    That is helpful, when you try to set it.

lordpantsington and Emery like this.
  10. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Oh, that would be nice! But that only applies to rF2 right? I tried it in rF1 and it did not work..the Vintage Vee mod I am experimenting with is
    the original one in rF1. I found it at RaceDepartment. I have yet to try DevMode...trying to get comfortable with the older (easier?) stuff first.

redapg likes this.
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes that's in rF2.
    I answered in this Way, because it's the rF2 Forum here and i did "overread" that it is about a rF1 Mod. :)
    In rF1 i did use the XD Plugin to see the Engine Wear.

12. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Thank you for the tip about DevMode, It will come in handy when I take the plunge into experimenting with rF2.

redapg likes this.