Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

First off, congratulations on ordering the reverb G2!!!

My system specs:
    i7 10700K @5.2GHz / 4.8GHz cache
    Aorus Elite z490 MB
    Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @4200Mhz (oc'ed with manually tuned timings)
    Power color Red Devil 6800xt @2600MHz Gpu / 2130MHz Vram, fast timings)
    Win 10 OS (very stripped)

Agahnim likes this.
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hi guys I know this is a VR thread but I didn't think it worth creating a new thread just for one question I have relating to a monitor. I'm throwing up between getting VR and getting a curved monitor. I am erring towards the monitor because I want to be able to experience hotlapping etc with friends so we can watch each others runs.

I'm looking at the Samsung G9 curved monitor. I know that there might be some distortion in the image, but I am hoping that it will be barely noticable... especially because most of the time I will be looking at or near the centre of the screen so any distortion will be in the peripheral vision? What are people's thoughts/experience with this? I'm about to drop a fair bit of cash on this thing so I thought it best to ask. I notice some esports gamers are using a curved monitor... the one I'm looking at has a pretty dramatic curve (I'll link it below)

Cheers.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products...-dqhd-240hz-freesync-qled-curved-49in-monitor

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I have a curved monitor of 32 "and 4 milliseconds 144 hertz, for me the resolution is fine, but since the immersion of Virtual Reality there is no comparison, I will never return to the monitor except to navigate or work:);)

Adrianstealth and green serpent like this.
  4. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

@Kelju_K thanks a lot for sharing, quite useful for me.

Do you try already the Nvidia NIS as fholger has added it along with AMD FSR in the v2.0 of his openvr_fsr ?

5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I'm a bit lazy to read through the whole thread ... could you recommend a VR headset that kicks butt and works well with rF2? What is pretty much the latest and greatest, Pimax?

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

price quality and performance I would say that the rift S is a very good option,
    pimax is very good but it is expensive, it has good fov and the distortion does not worry me since it is in the corner of the eyes, and there is never focus, not even with human eyes, the sde is invaluable at 8k plus. Some new pimax are going to come out but they are very expensive, it all depends on the money, I do not recommend the quest 2 that work worse than the S because the graphic connection is not native....REVERT G2s perform poorly and look good but aren't perfect... small sweet spot,glare too

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    green serpent likes this.
  7. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Apparently the Reverb G2 is one of the best overall for simracing from what I understand and it costs in France "only" 550 euros without the controllers. Apparently also you need at least a 2080 Ti to start running it properly.

I just ordered one for myself.

green serpent likes this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Yes i tried it. It creates even more aliasing artefacts than fsr (at least in rf2, and few other games i tested it with) unfortunately.

But it's great that we get more of these upscaling methods, as i strongly believe it is the future way of gaming.
    The problem with these now, is that AA is done to the render resolution, and thus it leaves aliasing to the upscaled image.
    Once decent post process antialiasing methods emerge (that could be applied after the upscaling), OR there will be a way to intelligently remove the aliasing with in the upscaling process, i believe native res gaming will be in history once and for all.

Intel's xess is right around the corner. Despite it being proprietary to intel gpu's at first (at least that's what it looks like now), but it will push this tech forward once again, and the competition has to respond with their tech. Nvidia's dlss is antialiasing based tech so it doesn't have the aliasing problem, but suffers a little bit blurrier end result.
    Once these techs merge, or spawn something new, we are gonna have another golden age in gaming.
    Lets just hope that the tech evolves as quickly as it has been so far, and doens't become stagnant.

Agahnim likes this.
  10. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

juanchioooo likes this.
  11. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

I have arrived with quite good settings personally. With AMD Ryzen 5950x and Nvidia RTX 2070 Super

I run 100% resolution on HTC vive so that would be 1512x1680 per eye and i FSR upscale it on VR to "renderScale": 1.50 although im not entirely sure its working as intended.

VR resolution.png

VR resolution 2.png

I can run 30 cars almost always without dipping below 90 fps expect on some badly optimised tracks and cars.

Agahnim likes this.
  12. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

Sure I agree and I also think innovation on that direction are needed because VR is such demanding.

Those technics along with Foveated Rendering are the key to balance the lack of power of the current GPUs.

Hope this techniques will be even more advanced in one year when the 12K will be launched :)

Kelju_K likes this.
  13. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

Great ! Do you also have 90fps at night or when it's rainy ?

14. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

it depends on the track, usually i do as the settings are fairly low. as there is not much to be rendered differently. but i dont usually test at night. on rain i do if the track is not overly heavy.

Agahnim likes this.
  15. David Martinez

David Martinez Registered

Does anyone really have pink frames when running RF2 VR with HP Reverb G2 ??
    In my case I had to go to Oculus Quest 2 so that this does not happen.
    Can you comment?
    I give an example of what happens, the pink lines are suttering and it becomes unplayable, they come out randomly
    My computer:
    I9 9900k 5.1ghz
    Nvidia 3090
    32 gb Ram ddr4
    Monitoring software off

Thanks

16. Magus

Magus Registered

@David Martinez if you do a search on these forums you will find a host of users that can't utilise their RTX30XX well in Rf2 with a HP Reverb G1 or G2. My 3090 get's about 50-60% utilisation with frames dropping constantly. Sorry to say, no known fix from S397, Nvidia, or SteamVR.

David Martinez likes this.
  17. Jts

Jts Registered

The same thing happens to me, with a 3080

David Martinez likes this.
  18. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

in the old UI I get 90fps in all combinations, in the video it's not because I'm recording

19. tonaz

tonaz Registered

Sorry if already asked or offtopic, is there a way to start rFactor2 in native Oculus api? (and not through SteamVR).

20. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

No problem, no need to apologize. I don't know any other way to boot into VR other than through steamvr