Extremely Dangerous Unexpected Behavior in rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prceurope, Jun 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. R Soul

R Soul Registered

Bump.

Is this still a thing?

2. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Happened to me again a couple days ago, trying to get into the habit of hitting estop while not in game

rand777 likes this.
  3. Jason PLAdoh

Jason PLAdoh Registered

Fixed it Yet?

BUMP

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

This may already have been suggested somewhere in this thread. I don't want to read all 120 replies.

What I've trained myself to do is, instead of clicking "restart race" I click "return to monitor". Then click the button at the top left with the little shield symbol (or whatever it is). From there click "restart race". The wheel never yanks with this method.

Not to say the developers shouldn't fix the problem of restarting a race from the instant screen that pops up after escaping.

rand777 likes this.
  5. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Registered

do you really expect that issues brought up on this forum get fixed by s397 devs?
    you must be new

6. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Wait until the wrong person breaks a wrist or finger....

7. Jason PLAdoh

Jason PLAdoh Registered

@SuperMonaco_GP (Sega Master System?),

Not New, Just Eternally Hopeful, That with enough nudges, The Devs will fix this, and I can Start Playing this game again, on Hardware that is the Future.

J

8. SuperMonaco_GP

yep :) when I was 6 in 1991 for me it was THE best game ever
    anyway, yes I'm on dd too - sc2 - and I know it is a big issue indeed, I just don't have much hope anymore on rF2 team problem solving skills.

Nieubermesch and rand777 like this.
  9. Jason PLAdoh

Jason PLAdoh Registered

Lost many hours on that game, never imagined we would have what we have now.

10. jepeto

jepeto Registered

Ayrton Senna was extremely dangereuse but hé had Gérard ducarouge to canalyze his storm

11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Bang on :D:D:D:D

SuperMonaco_GP likes this.
  12. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Pardon me for finding this amusing.
    Over 30+ years of real world racing, I've signed at least a couple hundred race entry forms. Every entry form had a liability disclaimer to indemnify the Organizer. Indeed there are genuine risks taken by contestants.

This type of warning is not and never will be a liability issue for S397 in America or any other civil country. It could (and should) be with the component of risk. The sim isn't breaking wrists, the motion device is.

Granted, most people really can't imagine the force of say 18 foot-lbs of torque, let alone know the business end of a torque wrench.

This young geezer just gets a chuckle from the dialogue......

13. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

It is a known bug that can hurt someone, what is to chuckle about? I completely agree that there is risk involved with anything and people should take responsibility for their actions. That being said, this is the only game that I have seen that this happens in. Let's say you are new to the game and have no idea about this issue and get caught out, too bad eh?

If a potentially harmful BUG such as this isn't a priority either they do not care or have no idea how to fix it, neither answer is good.

rand777 and avenger82 like this.
  14. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Ergo, rFactor2 is a Race Simulator based on realistic physics. None of the other commercially available games can make that claim and are just that - games.

On a Race Simulator you follow the instructions on setting up controls.
    Every time you add a new control.

Control interfaces are defined by the platform. Its the responsibility of the Control Device Provider to conform to the interface standards defined by the Platform Provider. It ain't the other way-round.

At what point does the user take any form of responsibility?

I'm not saying it would not be prudent for S397 to provide a warning.

What I am saying is when you build a cockpit with motion equipment that poses potential health risk its something to think hard about before jumping in the seat and mashing the gas.

I can just imagine some of the rF2 folks getting a chance to climb into a real Porsche 930 for a couple laps of Road Atlanta. Wouldn't even get off the pit road before clobbering the wall.

15. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

So if you bought some brakes for your race car and there was a known issue with them (unbeknownst to you) that the company didn't fix and something happened , shame on you because racing is dangerous?

Do you realize that this happens not while you are doing something stupid but by just restarting a race?

It seems because you are a "real" racer (I raced karts for years myself) and actually put yourself into a real racecar with far greater consequences that this isn't a big deal but it is because it is needless.

This is an issue that should be rectified before someone gets hurt. It is a known issue with this game (it is a game) and to not do something about it is negligent. I LOVE RF2 but no other game I play does something like this, it is completely unexpected behavior for doing something very mundane that MANY people will do. It's not like turning up the FFB to 22nm and crashing into a wall and getting mad because you didn't let go of the wheel and got hurt.

Again, RF2 is second to none in my eyes and I will continue to play it but the devs seem to have a notorious reputation for not fixing long standing bugs.

I find this particular one to be unacceptable.

rand777 and Nieubermesch like this.
  16. SuperMonaco_GP

Do you own a direct drive wheel? I guess you didn't understand the point of the whole thread. it has nothing to do with motion systems.

17. Jason PLAdoh

Jason PLAdoh Registered

@ John R Denman,

Ancient Proverb: "Better to let People Assume You're an Idiot, than to Speak and Confirm their Suspicions."

This "Game" Produces and Sends completely random Full Power Signal spike's to DD wheels, It is akin to Hitting the armco barrier at full speed and keeping your hands on the wheel.

The Developer's should remove the option of DD wheels until they can Address the issue.

J

avenger82 and SuperMonaco_GP like this.
  18. lagg

lagg Registered

You say this and call other idiots? Sure?
    You can stop using this game and let others assume their risks, meanwhile they wait to the developers to solve the problem.

Elcid43 likes this.
  19. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I agree with your first comment. I also think that he might not be totally wrong about removing the functionality of a DD wheel (which I do have) until they fix it. Reason being, I know there is an issue and I assume the risk. Someone new to the game more than likely would find out about this issue as many of us did, with a WTF!! moment that could potentially injure them.

Ultimately it should be a priority for them to fix so that doesn't happen. I don't have much faith in that being taken care of soon though.

avenger82 likes this.
  20. Jason PLAdoh

Jason PLAdoh Registered

@lagg,

I never called anyone an Idiot, and when you Assume something, it puts the Ass in U and Me.

Their should be no Risk of Injury while playing a game.

J