AI problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moving Violation, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Moving Violation

Moving Violation Registered

The AI in RF2 is making me crazy. I can't get through a race without being run off the track. If I can't find a way to improve this I will have to consider leaving a racing sim I really like. See video link.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

what track? S397, even if they do improve the AI, will not be responsible for 3rd party tracks.(which contain the AIW file that guides the AI cars) I will say that was a bad move on the AI, you had position, and the line, the AI seemed to have more momentum tho.

3. Moving Violation

The track was an official studio 397 West Palm Beach Intl. I only drive official tracks. This stuff happens on other tracks as well. I am discounting crashes which I view on replay which are questionable or my fault.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

Yeah, that was a shockingly bad incident. What is your AI aggression set at?

5. Moving Violation

Aggression was at 25%. I even tried it at 0 with no real affect.

6. williang83

williang83 Registered

What is the value on your player.json files for the entry "AI Mistakes"?
    That leads the driver to make mistakes.

That being said unfortunately rFactor suffer of the same issues that many other games, which is lack of adaptations against the odds. They work "fine" until your driving style and speed is similar to what they expect. Some games like ACC is even worse (at least until the last time i played it) where they simply swerve on you or even worse create a queue of stopped cars when someone blocks a narrow path, they are unable to go around. In AMS2 they used to swerve hard on the player, but it seems they have improved it although i have not tried it anymore.

In all those games you have to understand the AI logic and drive at little bit according to it. For example, i find way more frustrating racing against AI in ACC than rF2.

7. Moving Violation

The value for "AI Mistakes" is 0. I try to take into account the logic of AI but it does not seem to be working. In the case above I knew I had a car to my right so I went far left which I believe was the racing line. I'm guessing the bot was programmed to seek that line and ignored I was there. I own all of the racing sims of any consequence. I have had the fewest problems with AI when using Race Room believe it or not.

With the big emphasis on multiplayer I am not optimistic about the near term future of offline racing.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

@Moving Violation - Sometimes a fresh PLR file fixes AI weirdness and that was definitely weird because rF2 AI tries very hard NOT to hit the player unless you're braking early in a braking zone. I suggest renaming your PLR file to BAK and let rF2 create a new one. If it doesn't help, it's a very simple test to undo.

9. Moving Violation

I just reinstalled the sim 2 days ago. I assume I have a fresh PLR file. I'm not sure what that file even is or where it is located.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

The PLR file doesn't exist for a long time.
    The current file is ..\rFactor 2 \Userdata\Player\Player.json
    Reinstalling the game doesn't generate this file to avoid to overwrite your settings.

Emery likes this.
  11. Moving Violation

So this is what the renamed file will be. BAK.json. I notice that my problems are almost always getting sideswiped. Once in a while I may get rear ended due to braking early. That tends to happen if I'm learning a new track.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Oh, dear... oldtimers rises again.

lagg likes this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Would be nice if at least this was fixed... They spin and always want to take you with them...

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You broke the cardinal rule of 'How to avoid a spinning car." Aim where he is, not where you think he'll be. Going outside was the only chance... ;) (sez the WORSTED driver ever to grab a sim steering wheel.)

trichens likes this.
  15. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Not sure if you are defending it, but the AI simply applied throtle to reverse to block me... They always do this when they spin, trying to defend whatever they think they are defending - it's rather murdering you honestly.

Yeah, I think I got what youre saying, but it's not what you think. The car was stopped after spin and he went to block me... It happens when they are totally stationary too, so it's not that ahah.

sampopel and davehenrie like this.
  16. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

What do want to have fixed?
    Do you want S397 to fake the Physics?
    When i look at the Behaviour of the spinning Car, it looks 100% real.
    If you decide to almost stay on your Line, it's your Fault when you crash into it. ;)
    Did you expect him to "freeze" where he was?

17. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Oh for gods sake. Already explained what happened and what happens when the AI spins lr crashes and sometimes they block you intentionally, even when they were totally stopped, it"s not about physics... The Ai in this video simply reversed intentionally against me and if you listen closely you can hear it...

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

At first, please don't answer with "Oh for gods sake", which is disrespectful and no good Behaviour.
    Maybe we have a Language Barrier, but what i understand is, that the AI has the Reverse Gear engaged and pushes rearwards intentionally.
    Can you proove that, with a Video, where the rearward Gear of the AI is engaged and shown in the Replay Overlay?
    What i see, is the normal dynamic Behaviour of a Car, spinning in that Way.
    And you are able to hear, if a Car accelerates forwards or backwards?

19. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Man, you are the one who came here talking condescendingly about what I've showned and I had already explained it to other user, so you should've read that. Now you once again are being condescendent and not making much sense... I know that they were accelarating because of the noise lol, and because the AI gained speed to crash into me, like it happened multiple times before and it is actually a known behavior that they block you if they spin and are stopped in the road until you pass through them.

20. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Michael, Nieubermesch is correct. The AIs, once they go off at a bad angle, has this annoying behavior of accelerating in reverse ACROSS the track. It does seem like they are trying to get back to some invisible racing line, but they do cut across very fast, with tires smoking. Might not be all the time but I see it happen a lot.

rF2 AIs swerve actively (to fight the player). Not just a natural blending into a braking path or the ideal line. They swerve to 'surprise' you and run you off track, even at aggression level 0%! This is very obvious on Kyalami turn 5 on the inside, exit of turn 4 on the right side if you happen to get half your car alongside them. Might also depend on that AI's talent setting.

Nieubermesch likes this.