The rFactor 2 Blog | Cars (Part 1 of 2)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Nov 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I also think they made very bad priorities/decisions....
    you think the same......

But you don't have same priorities as me so : priorities differ from people to people.

A thing is sure : they don't succeed commercially, its a fiasco, so their priorities don't suit the majority of the simracers.

Emery and Nieubermesch like this.
  2. vava74

vava74 Registered

Fixing bugs should be priority #1 for any software publisher.
    It's not rocket science.
    However, it's understandable that, at the point of taking over, they had to pump new life into the game at some pace and that growth process did not come without pains (old and new).
    But right now, it's absolutely essential to address the mounting number of problems.

Davide Arduini and Nieubermesch like this.
  3. Travis

Travis Registered

The latest issues with the last FIA WEC stream (8 hours of Nurburgring) should be more than enough to cause a stir with the management of Motorsport Games but I figure they are too busy with the calamitous release of NASCAR Ignition to notice.

Whilst rF2 did look good on the stream, the server issues should have been sorted & something that is often said about many long standing issues.

I appreciate having a community manager post blogs and it's great to have some idea of what's likely to occur in the future. I'd love to read thoughts of Marcel and the other people e.g. tyre and physics people as well. Whatever happened to the video blogs or dev blogs?

4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

To be really honest, and without exaggerating :

We had around 60 roadmaps.

Frankly, if you gather all the real useful and "crisp" information, seriously I believe that you can give all the information in ..... Less than 100 sentences for sure, the content of a blog in term quantity would give all this information.

I have read several times that some users find it fabulous that there are roadmaps ..... I don't find that great because we hardly learn anything.

And the second part, generally larger than the first one where we learn nothing, frankly exasperates me : You know, the 'looking back at last month' part. Lol. Pffff.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  5. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Oh I'm not alone who think that, it's s a strategy to fill the void, but I prefer they release a road map every 3 months than the "looking back"....
    When a manager in a football team is bad, he's replaced, here I don't know what they can do.

6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Sorry I know this is not entirely on topic, but what frustrates me so much was how convoluted the competition sysem was when I just wanted to jump on and race. I know if you're willing to put in the effort and so on it's probably great.

At one point I was so pumped to race other people, I jumped on the sim with all this enthusiam, and then from memory there were no races scheduled, or I had to register for the event or something... and I was like... okay, maybe can I at least jump on the track to do some practise laps to see how my times stack up and if I'm ready to make the commitment for the event. But, there was nothing. Fair enough if I have to commit to some future race, but let me jump on now and see if I can cut the mustard so I know i'm not going to embarrass myself, not be competitive and maybe ruin other peoples race.

This is coming from a point of frustration so sorry if I can't articulate it right, but it's like, why when I have the urge to race, can't I just jump on the sim and there is a casual practise session with other people and I can be on the track in a few minutes? Then when I get the juices flowing and I'm feeling confident, then go into a competitive race. Why is that so hard, I just don't get it. Why are there so many barriers to me just getting out on track?

This does kind of go back to the whole car thing though...imo you need to funnel new users or users just getting into multiplayer all into one spot, into a small handful of fun entry level cars on the same track. Have a clear starting point which is very prominent and as unambiguous as possible... "Alpine Amateur Cup" or whatever. Nothing to download though, nothing at all that creates a barrier, nothing. Just bloody click it and your in a bloody race or practise session!!! I'm getting annoyed at how simple this seems in my brain, I just don't know why it has to be so hard or why this isn't a thing already.

Direct traffic, make it very obvious what people need to do to get started. I mean hell, even get a couple people online asap if a new user comes on board and say hi to them and do some laps together. Just generally make it as easy as possible for a new user to just enjoy driving with other people with as little pain and confusion as possible.

A clear path to progression after that would be good, i.e once you've done x amount of races you can move to gt3 or whatever.

Sorry if I'm out of line, I guess the reality of it is not as simple.

Atsuki and Michael K. like this.
  7. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

I can only agree to this.
    I don't know if it has been improved yet, but that was exactly what kept me away from the Competition System.
    Much too complicated to join.
    Not enough Info
    No permanent Servers for Practicing

I remember when i started with online Racing a long Time ago.
    It was with DTM Race Driver and it was so easy and quick to race against Others, as it can be.
    You just had to start the Game, join an existing or open an own Server and that it was.
    If the CS would be made in such a Way, the Count of Participiants would grow immediately, i suppose.
    But maybe that is not really wanted????

Juergen-BY and green serpent like this.
  8. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

I quickly racked up over 600hrs in rF2. Plus lots if extra hours in making SimHub overlays, plugins, spreadsheets, custom driver rostas - you name it.

I'm just exasperated with it all now. All the issues with offline play have not been resolved, I don't know whether it be the desire or the ability to solve the issues.

Look at AMS2, that game is coming on leaps and bounds. Again a small team, but making gaint leaps forward. ACC hit the shelves, allbeit badly, but boom, look at it now.

What's rF2 done in that time - OK, they've released some nice DLC. Fixed a few little things. Introduced a shit show of a ui which they promised would have all of the functionality of the old ui, which doesn't, and done bugger all to fix many of the crap that still exists.

When people ask on Reddit if they should start rF2, I normally reply 'no' now.
    It's sad, but at the moment this sim is going no where.

The takeover by MSG has seemingly done nothing as yet.

Roadmaps are pointless - don't do them every month if there nothing to actually talk about.

Anyway, I rant because I really love this sim, but it's going no where. Just wish it would actually improve.

9. green serpent

green serpent Registered

From a commercial point of view maybe it is going nowhere IDK. But from a technical point of view as far as the raw driving experience goes I feel like that is improving slowly but steadily. The driving feel and the way the cars respond to driver inputs is already great and I feel like the latest first party content is, dare I say it, pretty close to feeling perfect as far as the driving aspect goes. Credit where it's due. The thought of the tyres and other physics related things getting improvements over time (albeit slowly) is pretty encouraging to me.

But yeah the game is probably never going to gain players unless so many major things such as A.I and the UI are improved/fixed.

pkelly and Emery like this.
  10. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Ohh yes, the driving feeling has always been there. And the promised tyre improvements are encouraging -- but they are just that at the moment, 'promises'.

They've said so much in the past that, as much as I like Mars et al, I just don't believe it until I see it.

And even if they did fix the new tyres, what about the other issues with the setups and camber etc, the issues with the new ui, the AI, the competition system, black/yellow flags safety car etc the list just goes on and on.

And now all these job adverts which, let's be honest, we all thought was so they could attract more staff, turns about to be just replacing people who'd left. So they aren't scaling up to tackle the list of defects.

I'm just exasperated -- good grief I hope I'm wrong, but, other sims are just doing things way better then rF2 now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the new BMW M4 GT3 announced soon in rF2 will come free in ACC the 24th November and was not announced....
    I know where I will be the 24th.
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/805550/view/3122678848532718852, they have Physics engine and tyre model updates !!
    This is the perfect example of a big success, clear announce, no delay, big work, many improvements, high tech with UE which doesn't need 4 years to add DLSS...
    The gap is too big now, I'm so worried for rF2.

Nieubermesch and r00b Driver like this.
  12. RoWo

RoWo Member

muzikant likes this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

They would really benefit from some form of DLSS or the AMD FSR... Performance isn't stellar and that would definetly help, as honestly the biggest performance eater I've seen is probably resolution, outside probably turning off shadows. Headlights seem to be something that really bogs performance down and there's no setting to optimize that, so a general graphics setting for performance like FSR and DLSS wich is better then reducing Resolution would come in handy...

14. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, we also will be receiving physics improvements, supposedly, but the new RC is taking it's sweet time to come out....

15. Supa

Supa Registered

I've owned AMS2 since it's beginning and it really is amazing the constant improvements being made. Quite embarrassing when compared to what's happening here with S397. I now spend %90 of my time online in AMS2 and won't be too long before I stop RF2 altogether. League Racing is the only thing keeping me here for now. Although another Content release Car/Track without fixing will probably see me quit in disgust.
    If they keep ignoring comments from Players like Risto Kappet.( first comment posted here ) then I can imagine the player base will keep on dwindling.

16. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I've also had AMS2 since the beginning and see it completely differently (the game is great, no question), but the permanent adjustments to the core of the game (including the mandatory constant deletion of user data) is incredibly annoying and S397 should absolutely not take an example from that. In addition, the game is full of bugs despite the constant and many updates. What you criticize about rfactor content is also true for AMS 2, some tracks and cars are phenomenal, others are atrocious. Especially in terms of driving or AI behavior on the track. Especially the AI drives me crazy. So to take AMS2 as a showcase is the worst choice from my point of view.

pkelly likes this.
  17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I don't want to bash AMS2, but it's the best steam flop, they can work and update 1000x, the FFB and driving feeling feels arcade, the most funny is I claim this since day 1, then the community has said it was so realistic, and every year, the devs say they have found a big issue in the physics (suspension, diff), for me it's a fail.
    AMS2 is not at all a good reference, we should just take ACC for the best success reference.

18. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Yes only ACC is not a fair comparison, it is not mod capable, it only has to provide physics for a vehicle class and it can't do VR ;-), but yes I know what you mean, as a total package it is just round, still not a fair candidate.

19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the mods are for me craps, and I only use official content, the modded cars in rF2 have all awfull physics and FFB, and the tracks are flat like hell...The quality mod vs official is so different, and I like the quality.

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

One thing is to shout quality at established makers product. Another thing is to understand quality.

Nieubermesch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.